Zumba!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 12, 2013

I started taking Zumba last week. I have zero rhythm, but it really is fun. It's more of a workout than I thought it would be, which is great! I went Tu/Th of last week and I'm still a teensy bit sore. Losing weight would be cool, but all I really want from the class is some toning and strength/stamina building.

I love my class because it doesn't take place in a gym. It's offered by my district, but open to anyone, so there's a nice mix of teachers and other working professionals in the community. Another great thing about this class is it's in a school cafeteria, so no mirrors :whistle: I'm wondering who else takes Zumba and if you ever really got the hang of it. :lol:

Looking forward to my next class!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2013

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 12, 2013

5. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 12, 2013

I did Zumba at least 3 times a week for a month and I know that for at least the first week I would have looked like the one in the white shirt. It did get easier, but I don't know that I would say I ever fully got the hang of it!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2013

I wish I were kidding when I say that I would look like that, but I am not. Coordination has never been my strong suit. I remember in high school gym class doing step aerobics. I could do the feet and I could do the arms. I could not do them simultaneously. It was so frustrating!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2013

:lol: I think I look like the tall girl in the back, but I probably look more like the girl in the white.

I have Zumba for the Xbox so I do that about 2 times a week. The classes at the gym are just way to crowded to really get a good workout in.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 12, 2013

I started Zumba last week to and am loving it! One of our teachers is leading it and it is just school staff doing it. She said give it a good 4-6 weeks to get the hang of it. What I like about it right now is that none of us are very good so no one feels bad about how we look for the moment.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 12, 2013

I absolutely LOVE zumba. I started back in April and got hooked immediately.
    But I'm picky thouggh, the instructor really makes a difference for me. I like it when the mixture is like this: lots of Latin (salsa, chacha, etc), and the rest hip hop, modern, belly dance, whatever. When it's all about hip hop, or just a lot of jumping around with difficult footwork I get frustrated.
    So I have my favorite instructor, and when she was at the gym a lot I would take 4-5 classes / week. Then the schedule changed and I can barely drag myself to the gym because she only teaches 1 class / week.

The other draw back is the waiting and the class size. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here, some instructors are so popular that you have to go to the gym an hour early, put your water bottle or something in place of you in line, so that you can get a good spot in class. You can go work out, etc, but if I show up 20 minutes before class starts, I may not get in (max capacity 50), or I'll be at the back where I can see anything.
    So there's another instructor I really like, her classes are very challenging, but it's just too much hassle to get in her class.

But I think it is the best form of cardio, I'm all sweaty by the end, head to toe, because I'm moving 60 minutes, and otherwise I would give up, if it was running, etc.