ZOOM Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DHE, Apr 9, 2020.

1. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2020

I will be having an interview for a third grade position next week. I am currently teaching 5th grade, but I am being displaced. A principal at another school contacted contacted me to interview through Zoom because of COVID-19. Has anyone had a virtual interview who can give me a few pointer?. I'm trying to remember the questions from last year when I interviewed for the position that I have now. I am excited because I thought all interviews would be late in the summer due to the pandemic,

3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Apr 10, 2020

Good Luck! I got a job from a Zoom interview a few weeks ago. I treated it like a normal interview and still dressed up and everything, it was just in my living room. I did think that I would put notes off to the side in case I needed to look down for the name of something, but didn't end up using those because I thought it would look bad if I was always looking off screen. I'd treat it as much like a normal interview as possible.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2020

This was always the way I would have to interview because I am teaching internationally in Mexico and am applying to jobs in California. Having said that, I agree with the previous post that you should treat it like any normal interview. Dress to impress! Have you used Zoom? It's super easy, but if not, you might want to test it with a friend just so you can become familiar with it first.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 12, 2020

I interviewed with my own district for a new position last week, and I've had a Skype interview in the past. I would recommend that you test out all of your tech ahead of time to make sure that you don't have problems. When you're stressing about an interview, tech issues are not something you want to be dealing with. I'd also take some time to find a place in your house that had good lighting and a background that you're comfortable with them seeing. Make sure your mic and speaker are working well. Other than that, treat it like a typical interview. Be prepared for the same questions you would get otherwise, and respond to those the same way you would in person.

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2020

Thanks, it was my plans to dress to impress. The idea about the best place for lighting is a good idea. I never thought of that. Is there anyway I can use my portfolio?

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 13, 2020

The only way I can think to use your portfolio is to send it electronically ahead of time. Honestly, in my experience, there isn't time for or interest in portfolios. Out of all the interviews I have been on in my 10 year career (and it's been many!), I've only ever had two people interested in seeing what I brought with me. If I were you, I would pick your top 3-5 components from your portfolio in send them in an email ahead of time... unless your entire portfolio is electronic and hosted on a website somewhere. Then just send the link in an email. But I wouldn't try to make it a part of your interview. If they have questions about it, they will ask.

ready2learn likes this.
  8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2020

Thanks

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2020

I don't know if you had your interview already, but, I would consider putting your portfolio online as well. I have a portfolio that I host on a website. You can use it in a Zoom interview by sharing your screen and showing parts of it when you speak to your experience and what you do in your classroom. You can also include it as a link on your resume, in emails, etc.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2020

Didn’t get the job. I have had several since then. I was expecting an offer today, but didn’t hear from the principal. I had another one today and will have one tomorrow. So I’m feeling sad and praying for the right one to come along..