zoo phonics

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by EDUK8_ME, Nov 29, 2006.

1. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Nov 29, 2006

Greetings!

I am interested in possibly using the zoo-phonics program. Anyone using this program and if so what are your thoughts on it?

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 29, 2006

I have used Zoo-Phonic for two years, and I love it. Originally, I had no choice because our Kindergarten teachers wanted me to use it. We have no other literacy/phonics curriculum; however, Zoo-Phonic can supplement other ones. It's easy, fun, and the kids love it. They love the animals. We expand it into our math and science. The majority of my current class can recognize all of the lower case letters and most can spell simple CVC words. The graphics aren't too hot,though.

4. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Nov 30, 2006

Our school started using this program this year and we LOVE it! My classes' reading/writing ability right now is where my class last year was in March.
    For the first month of school all 6 Kinder classes met in the multipurpose room for about 20-30 minutes and went over the animals and their sounds. By the second week of school about 80-90% of all of our kids knew the sounds of the all letters. I have some student who still don't know all the names of the ABC's but can sound out words because they know that Catrina Cat says 'c', etc.

Dzenna, how do you incorporate it into math? We have often wished for a zoo phonics program in math because the reading one works so well.

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 1, 2006

The Adventuresome Kids CD that comes with your Teacher's Manual has activities for math, social studies, science, music, health, and snack ideas. I only have my kids for three hours a day, so I use a fraction of those activities.

6. emerald115

emerald115 Rookie

Dec 15, 2006

CEI

Zoo Phonics sounds great! I've been using the CEI program. Have you guys heard of it? Its a fun phonics program that works really well. I've never heard of zoo phonics though. The school I work at just gave me the CEI to work with.

Except...its worked so well, that now the kids point to letters and say their sounds, but they don't know the name of the letter! I've gone back to the beginning and am now working on the program with the letter names, but I don't know what else to do to break this!

Any ideas?

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 16, 2006

Zoo-Phonics works the same way. We don't call the letters by their names either. Throughout the year, we assess the children by asking them to recite their ABC's in addition to indentifying the letter sounds. Most are able to do so. I really don't know how.

8. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Dec 17, 2006

We have to do 30 minutes of reading interventions a day with our students who are falling below. Because this is so hard to do at the beginning of the year with Kinders, we decided to break up all of our kids into groups according to their knowledge of Zoo-phonics, abc's, etc. We broke our 100 Kinders up into 5 groups - those that knew the sounds and names of the ABC's, those that knew the sounds but not the names, those that knew the Zoo-phonics animals but couldn't match them to the ABC's, and those that didn't know either yet. Then one teacher would work with one group every day on those skills.
    By November I only had 2 kids in my class that didn't know the names of all the ABC's. That is much better than my class last year without Zoo-phonics (we just started this year).
    We are still using Harcourt Brace which introduces 1-2 ABC's a week, so we focus on those ABC's and still do some of the activities that are suggested.
    But really, when you think about it, all a child really needs to know in order to read and write are the sounds of the letters. They don't neccessarily need to know the names of the letters in order to sound out a word if they already know the sound of it. That's what is so nice about this program. I had kids who came into Kindergarten not knowing anything about the ABC's who could sound out 3 letter words and start to write phonetically within a few weeks after being exposed to Zoo-phonics.

9. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Dec 17, 2006

Thanks everyone for your input. Zoo phonics is offering a training near us this January and some of our staff is interested in going. I haven't heard or read anything negative about this program so I hope the training is worth it.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 17, 2006

I attended the training last January. It was fantastic. I purchased and was using the curriculum prior to attending the workshop. You'll get lots of ideas. I purchased the reading books and blackline masters for the class to use. Take a look at it. We use it twice weekly for sequencing and guided reading.