Zoo Phonics for Toddlers?!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Kase, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 11, 2009

I agree with you. Pre-K children come to us in at a wide range of levels. Some of my students know letter sounds; others don't know a letter from a scribble. The great thing about ZooPhonics is the children who know letter sounds see and understand them, and the children who don't have a clue about letters enjoy the animal characters. It reaches everyone at their level. If that's not DAP, I don't know what is.

2. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 12, 2009

I don't want to assume anything but by your screen name are you talking about your personal kids? If so, yes I'm sure it's easy to give that dedicated one on one time. But I'm trying to come up with an easy way to expose it since I HAVE to do it and I have 18 toddlers. Most of the time they do not want to sit. They would rather explore with their hands, sing songs, etc. I'm open to any ideas.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

I can always count on you to bring up the subject of Developmentally Appropriate. You and I think alike in that way.

I'm really concerned about the trend I see on these boards in some areas away from developmentally appropriate practice for young children. I've always felt that it's my job to make sure I'm looking out for the children in my care and defending developmentally appropriate practice from the cultural trends that keep seeping down into early childhood.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

I think I missed the part where you HAVE to do it. That really stinks. :( For both you and the kids.

I agree I'd just sing the songs, let them explore the puppets and keep offering them what you know is developmentally appropriate within the confines of the program. I've never seen Zoophonics, so I don't know anything about it, but I applaud you for trying to find a way to do it that fits in with the children's needs instead of making the children fit the program.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 12, 2009

And the program states that for little people you are playing with the moves and the music much more than you are playing with the black line card. It didn't even recommend using the black line shape until they are pre readers.....using the animal in the shape of a letter and the dance move (which is bi lateral and very large motor) is what you do in the beginning.

I love it with the tinies and feel it is a very DAP way to meet the requests of people with whom I have a difference of DAP understanding.

As others have said on other posts, meeting the goals of specific locations doesn't have to break DAP.......it is my job to ensure it doesn't. And that is why I chose Zoo Phonics.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 12, 2009

It is very singy.........and if you tie the letter characters to zoo animals you should be ok. My tiny ones are ok........they actually like the moves.

Make sure you program buys the curric not just the posters, so that you can point the parts of the program that excuses you from the parts your kids don't want.

7. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 19, 2009

Thank you

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 19, 2009

did you see the program/product yet?

9. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 20, 2009

No, not yet. I'm so busy trying to train this teacher we got to replace my former co teacher and it's been so stressful. She's worked only with pre-k kids and now is working with 18 mos-24 mos and it's scaring me a little. I'll get back to zoo phonics when I handle this situation. But thank you everyone for the ideas and advice!