Zoo/Farm Reading Books

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissTexas, Apr 30, 2007.

1. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

I need some suggestions on good books to read as an extension to my farm/zoo unit. I'm sure there has to be a "You don't belong in the zoo" kind of animal book!!:confused: Do you guys happen to know of any??
    If not, I need suggestions for a great read aloud about the zoo. Something that will keep my students entertained as I am being observed. Today I read Giraffes Can't Dance which is a book that I HIGHYLY recommend! My kids absolutely LOVED it!!! :love: :love:
    Thanks in advance for all of your help:)

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

May 1, 2007

Hi- I have all my favorite farm books listed here ~vanna's farm unit~ For an observation during farm I would choose Mrs. Wishy Washy or The Little Red Hen, there are sooooo many possibilities with both titles.
    Here are all my favorite zoo books ~vanna's zoo unit~ For an observation during zoo I would recommend Dear Zoo, Goodnight Gorilla, or Never Ever Shout in a Zoo, there are tons of good zoo titles out there. Karma Wilson, the author of Never Ever Shout in a Zoo has a new zoo book out titled Animal Strike at the Zoo- It's True!. I love her books, they are always very funny with wonderful illustrations.

If I had a choice about which units to be observed during it would definitely be zoo or farm, there are just so many good books for these two units.
    Good Luck!

4. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

May 1, 2007

Do you have Verdi by Janell Cannon? Actually, the tape is what really makes it cute. It is about the adventure of a young python. After reading we make paper chain snakes-the kids get to choose yellow (youngs) or green (olds). I drew off a snake head for them to trace. They draw red cons. paper tongues and glue on wiggly eyes. Before I begin my question of the day is Do you want to visit the snake house at the zoo? After the book and activities, they all change to yes. There is a neat book/tape called Rattlesnake Dance by Jim Arnosky that they loved to listen and "rattlesnake dance" to.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

May 1, 2007

How about Click Clack Moo Cows That Type? My FAVORITE farm book is PIGGIE PIE. You can get it with a read along tape which is the best way to hear this story. Although, it may not be suitable to use on an observation day.

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

May 1, 2007

How about Animal Strike at the Zoo........