Zoo bulletin board ideas for 2nd grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsw2, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mrsw2

mrsw2 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

This year I've decided on a zoo theme for my classroom, but am having difficulty thinking of bulletin board ideas. I have a large bulletin board in the hallway that I need to display something on all the time. The bulletin board inside my room will say "Welcome to the zoo!" and now I need an idea for the hall! Please help!!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

Can your hallway bb be generic? I have one large one that I keep background the same (fabric) and then change every season with borders and mostly I post monthly paragraph projects on it. Your fall bb could do with your zoo theme and then change it when you approach winter. I am keeping my large one empty with only a few circus animals on it (my theme). Then my little one is my welcome bb.

4. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Are you going to be completing zoo animal themed art? If you are you could begin that on day one...have the students create a zoo scene with trees and cages/fenced areas or their favorite zoo animal and display it in the hallway. As the year progresses, you could lead lessons in creating other zoo animals and add them to your zoo. I did this with a rainforest them for several years. Some years it was a hallway display that continued to grow throughout the year. It's also been in a corner of the room(our Reading Rainforest) and once, it was our entire room.

5. mrsw2

mrsw2 Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I think I'm leaning towards a generic bb for the hall. Maybe start the year with the zoo theme as suggested and just put zoo animals with the kids names on them under "Welcome to 2nd Grade" then change the board with the seasons or put examples of work up throughout the year. Thanks for the ideas!

6. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

The names is a good idea, it would also be really cute if you could take a picture of the kids and put their faces on the animal faces. I think that would be cute!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2008

Do you like the implication of 'welcome to the zoo' in terms of your classroom and students? Makes me think connotations like "OMG, my class is a zoo..." I think I'd change the banner on your bb- maybe something like:

Grade 2 is Zoo-riffic

? Seems a bit early elementary to me for grade 2???

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 26, 2008

I had the same concern as Czacza.. I wouldn't want to say Welcome to the Zoo because of the negative connotation. I would also be careful about putting child pictures on animals -- I mean, I wouldn't want to be the elephant... if I was a large child..yanno? I might not want to be the monkey. I know I wouldn't want to be the hippo.

I like the Zoo-riffic idea very much!

Our zoo has a train that goes through it. That might be an idea, a train meandering through the zoo -- with all the kids on board.

9. mrsw2

mrsw2 Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I'm going with the "welcome to the zoo" theme because this is the second year I will have these students. I teach a 1st-2nd loop and this is a wild bunch of kids. The zoo theme fits the dynamic of the students well.

10. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Jul 26, 2008

You could have cut outs of different animals and have the kids use adjectives to describe the animals (write them on the animal) Add in a lesson on adjectives to boot.