Ziploc Pencil Pouches?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by zoerba, Aug 4, 2007.

1. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I've heard of these but am not sure if they're for purchase or home made. I was thinking of making home made ziploc pencil pouches for my K.I.N.G.S. books (same as M.O.O.S.E. books). Do I just take a ziploc bag and 3 hole punch it? Is there a certain type I should use? I was thinking that the ones with the slide open/closer would work better than the press and seal.

If you know what I'm talking about please help me! I'm trying to get these made up within the next couple of days. Thanks! :hugs:

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

I have never heard of those but I went to Big Lots! and bought pencil pouches for my BEARS books for $0.97 each.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

I don't know, but they wouldn't be very strong, so you probably will want to think about replacing them a couple times during the year. I'd probably fold over the end to make them stronger. Students could carry a couple of pencils and an eraser.

On each desk we put a tri-pod with the students name on both sides. The name helps me, (the first few days), subs or as we like to call them (our guest teacher) , Paras and visitors know students names. These stay on the desk all year. If a student starts destroying the name. Quickly pass out a piece of bubble gum or 3 or 4 M&M’s none on that students desk. “Oh, I didn’t get____” You have their attention. “I didn’t forget you, but you weren’t following directions” Give them some tape and when they repair their names. They get the treat, but none if you do it again” it works……

5. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Freezer bags are stronger and thicker than regular bags if you are still considering them. Even the store bought ones sometime rip at the seams.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

A friend of mine used cute masking tape on the end of the baggie, then 3 hole punched it. This was for math centers that she kept in a binder but this would work for moose books. I'm not sure how sturdy they would be. I wish there was a cheaper alternative to those things, because I REALLY wanted to use them in my BEE books!!!

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

put a piece of cardstock in the bag to help keep its shape.

8. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Use freezer bags, and put masking tape on the edge with a piece of cardstock fit inside the bag to help it keep from tearing. I imagine they would last the year, but if not, they're super cheap to replace!

9. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 4, 2007

Zoerba - Would you share your acronym for KINGS? Thanks!

10. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Thanks for all the help you guys! I'm going to try putting them together tonight. I just bought the slide zip quart Ziploc bags. I'm going to fold over the edge and secure with clear packaging tape before I 3 hole punch. I'll let you all know if it works. =)

KINGS - Kids Improving Necessary OrGanizational Skills (or you could replace Necessary with Notebook)

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 5, 2007

I love the ziplock bag idea! I have some cheapo pencil pouches and they are just that.... CHEAP-O!! I got them for 10c at a salvage place... get what you pay for! I'll have to do the ziplock bags!! Yep Yep!!

12. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I made them and they turned out great! The only issue was that the hole puncher kept getting jammed from all that plastic, but it was easy enough to clean out. Now I just have to get some cardstock and cut it to size to keep the baggies flat. The real test is if they'll hold up throughout the year!

13. MountainLover

MountainLover Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I use Duct (Duck) tape for the bags. I put a strip on each side (I precut these and hang them from the desk!) THEN I put the card stock inside, THEN I whole punch. They whole thing seems to work pretty well. I have found that masking tape is not strong enough. I bet that packaging tape would hold up too. The Cardstock helps with the jamming issues of the three whole punch. Good Luck!