Zimmerman verdict

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Missy, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 16, 2013

Exactly.

2. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2013

Both incidents are tragic, ... very very tragic........ In once case a man was shot by a second man who was being beaten. It was the jury's decision that the shooter was in fear for his life. Again, that was tragic.

But it's hard to compare that tragedy with the second incident where an innocent couple was brutally beaten to death by a gang of men. Why wasn't this worth 24/7 coverage by the media? The answer should be obvious.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

So, now I see what you are comparing -- media coverage. Who knows why one got more coverage over the other -- maybe someone in Trayvon's case, spoke to the right person who helped get it media coverage? Isn't that usually the case?! I'm thinking that if Zimmerman was placed in jail while waiting for the trial, we wouldn't have heard much about this case...

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 16, 2013

Those cases are still different. However, what's more obvious in cases that are very similar is why the media only covers missing white young thin females.

----------

Great site!
    http://wearenottrayvonmartin.com/

I am not Trayvon Martin.

I am a 42 year-old white woman.

I am a mother, but I am not Trayvon’s mother.

I have two beautiful little girls. Their skin is white, like mine. They don’t see race. They don’t think about it. They don’t need to. They don’t yet know just how profound is the privilege of their ignorance.

I am not Trayvon’s mother. I have no fear when my daughters walk down the street in our neighborhood, nor any other. I have never worried that they might be perceived as a suspect of anything more sinister than forgetting their manners. Their presence, anywhere really, raises the suspicion of absolutely no one.

I am not Trayvon’s mother. I teach my children to run toward the authorities if they are ever in danger. I have never had to think about what the perception of them running away from a crime might be. They are always presumed innocent.

I am not Trayvon’s mother. If one of my daughters puts her hand in her pocket, no one on God’s green earth imagines she’d be reaching for anything more dangerous than a hair elastic.

I am not Trayvon’s mother.

But it is my responsibility, as her contemporary, to do everything I can to understand what it is like to be her.
    To use whatever I have in my own arsenal that will help me empathize with her experience. To raise my girls to see the privilege inherent in their white skin and to use it to fight for its own demise.

To make them see and viscerally understand that none of us can be free until all are free. To show them by example that weeping over the tragic injustice of Trayvon’s death is not enough. To have them join me in taking up the mantle of unrelenting advocacy and tireless service to one another until the day that we are one people - without fear, without suspicion, without bigotry, visible or not.

I am not Trayvon’s mother.

My heart aches for her. She must live the rest of her days without her precious child, a fate I cannot fathom.

I am not Trayvon’s mother, but I walk with her, relentless in my faith that there will come a day that I can say that I am.
    -----------------------
    ---------------------

I am not Trayvon.

22 year old upper class white woman followed and shot. Would anyone doubt me? Would my shooter go free?

When someone like me is abducted there is 24 hour news coverage. But change the color of my skin and that would not be true. No one is scared of me. If I wore a hoodie I would be called frumpy, not dangerous.

I am not Trayvon, and I’m not George Zimmerman, but I am sorry. Sorry it took me 22 years to realize how powerfully racism still exists in the United States. That the high violence rates, high death rates, high disease rates are not the result of happenstance or poverty (though that certainly doesn’t help). I’m sorry I’m still figuring out how to talk to my family and friends about this. But I promise I’m going to talk. I’m going to be one less silent voice.

As a preacher in North Carolina just told me, you can Stand Your Ground, but We. Will. Not. Be. Moved.
    --------------
    --------------
    If I were Trayvon Martin, I’d be a statistic. Instead, I’m a Harvard graduate. And that’s ********.

I am not Trayvon Martin. I am a 23 year old white female with a Harvard degree. I am also a drug-addict, and formerly a vandal, thief, trafficker, fraudster. In short, a bad Brooklyn “gang-banger".

But I have no criminal record. I have never been arrested, though I have been stopped countless times. When I was 17, I was apprehended by the NYPD. They came upon me taking a hammer to an Upper East Side phone booth, trying to get quarters to buy pills. Did they cuff me? No. Did they take me downtown? No. They gave me a reassuring pat on the back and sent me “home," hammer in hand.

I turned the corner, continued to walk along the townhouses of Central Park West, running my bludgeon along the iron fences that scrim the dwellings of the elite. A cop car was parked at the end of the block, lights flashing. It was the same one that had stopped me moments before. I could hear the familiar voices of the two police, now raised and shrill. Standing, cuffed, at the bottom of a townhouse stoop, was a middle-aged man in suit pants and a button down shirt. From what I could gather, lurking in the darkness across the street, he had been sitting on the steps to his own home enjoying a beer at the end of the work day.

He was a well-dressed, respectful, gainfully employed adult with a home in one of the most expensive districts in town. But he was black. So he was booked. The same cops that had patted my hammer-wielding shoulder and sent me on my way had their hands on the nape of his neck, and were forcing him into the patrol vehicle.

I was more Zimmerman than Martin. I was a violent criminal with a history of drug abuse. But I was white. So I’m alive and unbound.

If I were Trayvon Martin, I’d be a statistic. Instead, I’m a Harvard graduate. And that’s Bull********.
    ------------------------
    ---------------------------

MAny more stories here from white people realizing the difference in how they are treated and how black people are treated. I'm so glad they get it! And I, certainly don't trust cops, judges, hardly anyone in authority. I don't trust this country, I never have and never will.
    I'm just here because this is where I was born. But I knew from an early age this was not a country made for me.

I'm so glad that white people are stepping up and realizing how priviledged they are and how different it is to be black. I encourage Major and a few others in here to read these stories. It's an eye opener : http://wearenottrayvonmartin.com/

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2013

Yes, Proud2BATeacher for the most part I'm comparing media coverage......

But also I do accept the jury's verdict. The whole tragic event did not have to happen. I've said a couple times that GZ used little common sense in getting out of his car. He could have - should have waited for the police. Martin when he saw he was being followed could have left AND reported to the police someone was following him. And yes I know he didn't have to leave. It was his right to be there. As GZ was making his way back to his car Martin didn't haven't to confront and attack him. He could have just walked away. But he didn't. GZ was in fear of losing his life or suffering great bodily harm when he she Martin. The whole thing was a tragedy.

Back to the jury ...... they found after much intense deliberation that GZ was Not Guilty. They also believe that race played no part in the tragic incident. They had a tough assignment. I believed they weighed everything they heard from the state and from the defense. They came up with the right verdict.

For what it's worth MANY years ago I served on a murder trial jury. A white killed a black man. We found the white man guilty .... and put him away for life.

Hopefully the Martins will in time find peace.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2013

I read your post ...... It sounds like you don't trust any one in authority in this country... including the country itself and you've known most of your life that this country is not made for you...... That's really sad. :( Just respectfully asking you, have you considered moving to some country where you would be happier? If so, what country would that be? ........... Wishing you the best .....:)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2013

There is a sit-in going on in the Capitol building in Tallahassee made up of students protesting the stand your ground law.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2013

I wonder how many of them know what the law says.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

The so-called Stand Your Ground Law...why exactly is it being protested?

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

Someone attacks you and you just have to take it. THINK people. This means you aren't allowed to protect yourself if stand your ground or self-defense is repealed. The criminals then have the complete upper hand. A criminal attacks you, you defend, you go to jail or if you don't defend you end up dead or severely injured.

What this would mean is that your life as you know it is at the mercy of criminals on a daily basis, and there isn't anything you can do about it.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2013

It's possible to express a viewpoint that may be different than yours without being insensitive. :huh::wow:

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

Excuse my ignorance, but this is an honest question: why was this a case about race (except that it has for been made one by some)? Is it simply because Zimmerman and Martin were different races? First it was made to be white against black, until Zimmerman turned out to be Hispanic. From what I recall from the hearings, Zimmerman never mentioned race until the police asked him to describe Martin, upon which he said he thought he was black. So, in all honesty, I am trying to understand why this has been turned into a race issue.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

In my humble but honest opinion I have not observed that in this thread at all. If you are referring to anyone who might differ from your opinion I think it is simply that, a difference of opinion as opposed to insensitivity to anyone not white.

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2013

Thank you Tami ........ You are right on ........:)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2013

I believe Major was using the term to make a point, not hurling racial epithets.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2013

Not really ......... did you read the story? If not go back and google about the attack. What is a cracker anyway?

17. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

Politics and money. The Al Sharpton's and Jesse Jackson's need disharmony for money. The politicians need it for deflection and to rile their base.

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 16, 2013

A cracker is something flat and crunchy usually eaten with soup, salad or cheese. ;)
    Examples: saltines, Ritz, Townhouse, cheez-its, oyster, wheat thins, etc.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2013

By the way, for those of you who have missed Dr. Ben Carson´s brilliant speech on PC, here is the link (I have posted it before). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZosg4RYcY

It is very relevant to this thread as he discusses the importance of respectfully being able to voice our differences.

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2013

1. Cracker
    2. Originally the white slave driver because he would "crack" the whip, hence the noun cracker.

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 17, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.