Zimmerman verdict

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Missy, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

Are you serious? I can't believe you thought, typed, and published that.

And as for "He felt it was his duty to call 911", he also felt it was his duty to call authorities because garage doors were open, kids were jumping in the pool, garbage was in the street, and a host of other interesting concerns...and many calls about suspicious blacks kids (one was, he guessed, around seven years old).

I sure hope Zimmerman doesn't move to my neck of the woods... :rolleyes:

2. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2013

Here's a hate crime that has received little national attention. Why isn't this being discussed 24/7 by the mainstream media? Where is the public outcry for this defenseless, innocent white man who was brutally beaten by thugs? Is this man less important than Martin?

(What happened to Martin was a tragedy .... I said so above. I have no respect, no good feelings for GZ. He was stupid to get out of his car and follow Martin. Martin used little common sense in attacking GZ. GZ in fear for his life shot Martin. A jury found him Not Guilty. IMHO, it was the right verdict.)

Now any thoughts about the four black gangbanger and lack of national attention?? :confused::confused:

http://topconservativenews.com/2013...ughtered-in-random-racially-motivated-attack/

"On July 1st a group of black gang members brutally attacked and beat a random white pedestrian in Cobb County, Georgia. He was then knocked onto the road where he was hit by oncoming traffic."

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

I can't control what stories are presented. If someone is murdered states away from me, I obviously won't hear about it unless the media of some sort brings it to my attention. So I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. Not care about this case since there are thousands more like it not being covered for whatever reason? I don't subscribe to that thought process, which is a lot like not helping someone because you can't everyone.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

Never once in my post did I say it was because of race that Zimmerman reacted the way he did.

This is one thing we can agree on.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 15, 2013

No, you did not. That example was to show how the media was modifying information so that people, like you, that didn't really follow the case or just got information from media outlets would be led astray and form an opinion based on the agenda of the media that chose to make this into a race case.

The media also spun the story that Zimmerman was in his car when he was told to not follow.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply you put race into this. I know you did not. It really was just another example of media spin and bias which has made people make decisions based on bad information.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

a2z~I know there are some people out there that form their opinions based on what they hear/read in the news. I am not one of those people. My opinion of the case and accompanying verdict was not based on anything that I have read. And whether or not Zimmerman was inside or outside his car really does not matter.

7. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

Legally, I understand the verdict. Morally, I do not. GZ never should have pursued Trayvon that night. If he had listened to the 911 dispatcher and waited for the police to arrive, Trayvon would still be alive.

I'm appalled at the number of people that brush this off as Trayvon being a "thug" and essentially causing his own death. It actually makes me sick to my stomach. Even if he was beating GZ, it was because GZ pursued him and he was defending himself as just about any other person would do.

I wonder what the verdict will be in the Michael Dunn case. Kind of a similar situation. 40-something Florida man shot and killed a 17-year-old black man over an argument over loud music (he fired 8 shots into an SUV with 4 teenagers in it) because he "feared for his life" when a teen brandished a gun (police never found any weapons in the teens' car or on their persons). I guess the difference in this case is that 3 of the kids survived to tell their side of the story, unlike in Trayvon's case where he never could tell his side, so there will be a more concrete timeline of what happened.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2013

That is so sad Major.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2013

I live in Canada and heard of this case.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

I never have. There are hundreds of people killed in gun violence weekly....and we hear very little of it.:(

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2013

OK, so I'm replying to my own post...... Let me ask again:

Why isn't there a "national outrage" about the brutal killing of an innocent white man by a group of black gang members?

And as I type while watching CNN .... evidently hundreds of thousands of people have submitted signatures calling for a Federal probe into the GZ case. Why aren't there hundreds of thousands of signatures asking for Federal intervention about black gangbangers brutally killing a white man?

Just asking ...........

12. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

It is a sad culture that we have become desensitized to so much. I ask myself that question every time I hear of a brutal story like that, or another innocent life lost to a gun shot.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 15, 2013

Maybe someone should pose this question to Al Sharpton?

ETA: Nobody should be offended by this question...it is a good question Major.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

Because its is a conversation people really don't want to have...

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

Me either.

16. Sweet_P

Sweet_P Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

:yeahthat:

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

:2cents:Because of all of our technology, and despite it, we have become again a society of witch hunts. Guilty until proven innocent...the media has become judges, just as they were in the 1600's. .A pick and choose society. Scary

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

:agreed:

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 15, 2013

I'm taking this probably out of context (haven't read the other pages), but are you asking as a societal question (i.e. Why aren't we as a society outraged?), or as it relates to the media (i.e. Why aren't they covering it?)

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

I took it as a bit of both.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

Yet the verdict nulled the media supreme court (and popular frenzy) and let the rules of this land prevail...love it or leave it, our founding fathers STILL knew what they were talking about. But of course, this won't be the end because people were not happy they didn't get what they wanted despite the law. I don't like every decision by the law of this land, but I DO respect it!!

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

The media has melded the two.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2013

Probably because we know that there will be justice and they WILL be going to jail...

24. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2013

Both -

1. Why aren't we as a society outraged? (Is it because the gangbangers were black and the victim was white?)

2. And why isn't the media covering the story with the same force as it covered ... and continues to cover ... the GZ story? (Same question as above ..... Is it because the gangbangers were black and the victim was white?)

Just my humble opinion but while GZ was incredibly stupid the way the whole thing played out under the FL law he was NOT GUILTY.

The incident with the black gangbangers was racial hate. The white guy wasn't a threat to them at all.......

Lot more I could say but I'll stop here on this reply .........

25. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 15, 2013

I think Major means from the racial side of things.

I was watching one of the news networks briefly the other day and they had a guest who is black--not sure, but I think he is a lawyer, who brought up a stand your ground case in Florida in which a black man shot and killed an unarmed white man--used the same stand your ground/self-defense argument and was never arrested or stood trial. At least that's what I understood it to be, but I really wasn't paying that much attention. I certainly do not have the facts for that situation and maybe someone on here can pinpoint the exact case and who the guest commentator was for further elaboration.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

Stand your ground was not used as the defense in the Zimmerman case.

27. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 15, 2013

I know that in the end, at Zimmerman's defense at trial, it was not used and self-defense was (which is why I made it a point to put the /self-defense). But clearly this law had something to do with Zimmerman's case at some point in the last year and half or else I wouldn't have heard about it 10 million times on the news broadcasts or know that even exists as a Florida law. I followed the trial closely, but did not follow the case last year at all--so I don't know how things changed or morphed over time.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

Stand your ground offers a path to PRETRIAL immunity from prosecution and civil liability IF the defendant can show through a preponderance of the evidence that their use of deadly force was reasonable self defense. There was just not enough evidence on either side in this case.

29. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 15, 2013

I'm still confused. Are you on some level, saying that a case of a white victim (by black perps) is not the story that the TM/GZ case is? And that race is a factor in why? If that is the case (i.e. that there is some sort of white bias)... I frankly would be dumbfounded as to how anyone could come to that conclusion.

Again... I may be all wet here (out of context, not-reading the previous discussion pages).

30. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

31. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2013

Sorry about your confusion..... Are you aware of the story in Cobb County Georgia in which black gang bangers killed an innocent, harmless white man?

But lets move on......... and let the GZ/TM story continue.........

32. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 15, 2013

33. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 15, 2013

?? I really don't need the explanation and this has segued way away from what my post was about. I was only mentioning a legitimate concern brought up by an attorney comparing a case in Florida which involved a black man killing a white man who then used the stand your ground law as the reason for not arresting or trying him. He is asking why is there no public outrage and calls for further investigation in this situation and why there was with Zimmerman/Martin.

This is EXACTLY why I wrote "stand your ground/self-defense.," so it wouldn't be misconstrued as if I was saying that was Zimmerman's defense at trial--yet it was anyways :spitwater:

But back to the question...

This attorney I mentioned is only trying to point out the similarities of the circumstances between the two cases (which I personally don't know about which is why I was hoping someone could elaborate) and how the black guy was able to use the stand your ground law successfully without people calling for DOJ involvement, special prosecutors, and circumvention of the legal process by skipping a grand jury indictment, etc. etc.

I believe his main point is: a black guy kills a white guy and uses stand your ground to prevent arrest/trial and no one says anything. A Hispanic guy who is perceived as white kills a black guy and stand your ground did not prevent his arrest/trial.

This again, is not my point of contention, it is his point and it is worthy of consideration at the very least. I wish I knew his name or the names of the people involved so I could research it and see if it is a valid point and worthy of comparing the two cases but of course I was listening to it haphazardly while doing housework and stuff so I didn't write down names for further investigation.

34. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2013

It's hard to point out differences in the actions taken without knowing the facts of the first case... IMO in Zimmerman's case, he followed Trayvon and could have chosen to walk away after phoning the police but didn't, so he could not use stand your ground as a defence. Who knows in the first case if the guy who killed the other guy was cornered and had not choice but to shoot.

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

36. Major

Major Connoisseur

37. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 16, 2013

Some people in here seem so insensitive to anyone who isn't white. No need to waste time responding....It's however good to know that many many other white people across the WORLD get it and understand how racist this country and verdict is.

A Picture is worth a thousand words....

--------------
    Dear parents of Trayvon Martin,
    As a white mother of a white son, I do not pretend to know what you must be going through right now. I respect and honor our differences. My neighbors and I have taken these pictures because we want you to know that you are not alone. We have all wept for your son. We dress our children in hoodies because we want them to grow up to share the burden we feel. We want them to know that if a child or a group of children are not safe in this world then we are all responsible. We want them to know that today, at this moment, we are all Trayvon.
    May God bless you and bring you comfort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[url]https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/382522_524488620938472_707465710_n.jpg[/url][IMG]

[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1002988_562073197168377_191731008_n.jpg

[​IMG]

38. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 16, 2013

Many more white people who get it. I'm glad to see white people and people of all races who have a heart enough to get it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2013

I don't really understand why it is selective outrage? Is it because one made it to the news and one didn't? I'm outraged at both incidents and I'm sure most people are... I find it funny that tons of people are going through news articles and posting them all over facebook and insinuating selective outrage to make a point when in reality in the vast majority of the cases the murderers were sitting in jail while waiting for their trial and are (or will be) convicted and are sitting in jail:unsure:

40. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 16, 2013

A Picture is worth a thousand words

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status: