Youtube & Myspace

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by teachmemath, Jul 12, 2007.

1. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Hey folks
    I was just on Youtube looking at Math teachers being taped either yelling or being boring.
    I just wanted to see what you folks think about youtube and myspace??
    How would you feel if your student secretly taped you and posted it online? HOw do they get aaway with it?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

I've never been to either.

But anything that can be edited before it's posted is only for entertainment value; it has zero credibility.

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

Isn't something like that illegal? If not, I would think they could press charges since they do not have the teachers permission to post it.

5. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Kids can easily record video on their phones and phones aren't aloud in the classroom. I would hope the teacher would catch the student using their phone in class, but I think, like JenPooh said, something like that might be illegal

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

I've seen some shocking tapes like that on youtube. I have also seen some excellent lessons and tutorials available for students. I linked some to my classroom blog. I am assuming the district internet blocks youtube, but I hope the kids who have access to internet at home will be able to benefit.

I love youtube though. You can do searches for anything and find it. They have a few teacher's classroom tours on there. (which is how I also ran into student clips of goings on in their classrooms.)

7. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

The easiest way to avoid that would be to not yell excessively or be boring :)

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2007

I agree!! The general rule should always be to never do or say anything that you wouldn't do or say in front of peers, parents, administration, and now...it seems...the internet!!
    I just spent the last hour watching incredible viedoes on you tube showing students taping really stupid people!! We must always be on our toes!! I especially love the teacher who yells at the high schoolers the who time the plege is going on...he's telling them to stand up and be quiet but he yells through the whole thing then yanks a chair from under a boy who refuses to stand!! I don't think we can force students to stand during the pledge. It's nice that most do and we don't have to go there but let's not lose our careers over it.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

I would be horrified to find anything unflattering about myself on YouTube or Myspace. I work hard to not be boring and to always be aware of what my students are doing in my classroom, but I'm certain that there have been times when I've not been on my A game.

Incidentally, I do have a Myspace. I keep it set to Private, but I do allow my students to add me as their friend whenever they request. I always make sure that the content of my Myspace is appropriate for all ages and that no parent would ever object to anything on there.

When I first started teaching here in Vegas, the investigative news team for one of the news stations did a huge story about new teachers having inappropriate Myspace pages. They did a search on all 2,500 new teachers to see if they had pages, and then they showed the most risque pictures from the Public pages on the news! I mean there were pictures of teachers smoking pot and half-naked and obviously drunk. I was so grateful that I don't have those sorts of pictures and that I had set my page to Private.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

I think that MySpace had the ability to be a great tool...but it is past the point of repair now that it has grown into a breeding ground for scum. I don't have a myspace account, but I've been on it several times for specific reasons. It's not all bad, but...wow.

As far as YouTube: I have watched the "crazy teacher" videos and cringe each time! Yes, the best rule is to ALWAYS act as though a parent or administrator is in your room...but we all have our moments. Personally, I would be VERY upset if any video of me was on there without my permission, simply because I HATE myself on video. I don't care if I was sweet as peaches and cream, I don't want the world to know I exist. As far as legal issues, I'm not sure. In Kentucky at least one party has to be aware of the recording, and obviously the child would be the aware party in these cases. Because it is in school, and those devices are prohibited for those uses, I don't know if a teacher and their school would have grounds for argument or not.

Very interesting stuff.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 13, 2007

I agree. This is very sad, however. I would never want to be incriminated on either. One day, I searched my aunt on myspace and found some 19-year old who mentioned that she was her least favorite teacher in high school. I guess she missed out on one heck of a teacher... :rolleyes:

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 13, 2007

Look at the quality of some of these videos- they are shot without the teacher seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boring+teacher

This upsets me greatly. Some teens think they're so cool. I was never like that. This reminds me of my 8th grade math teacher where the kids signed a petition to get her fired- and I was one of the only students to refuse.

13. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

I believe that is for telephone recordings. I used to live there for awhile, and I was looking for someone to watch my child in my home if he was sick. So, I looked into the laws. In my own home, I couldn't record either audio or video (not sure which) at all, only video, without explicit, written permission. Otherwise, it would have been illegal.

14. WindyCityGal606

Jul 13, 2007

Do you think Myspace creator(S) knew this would eventually get out of hand? I mean, if the technology is out there, people are going to do it. It's terribly wrog but how can it be stopped?
    At my school, phone are not allowed. Neither are digital camera or ipos. We anticipated new technologies arising so we put a clause in our rules which says no technological devices AT ALL. The eighth grade math teacher doesn't use graphing calculators so we don't have to worry about some smart aleck saying they didn't bring their calculator because of the rule.
    If cell phones are needed to call home on the walk home, students can turn their phone in to the office in a sealed envelope each morning and pick it up at the end of the day. Still, it cannot be used on school ground. The penalty is suspension...no negotiations! I like it! Saves me a lot of headaches!!

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 13, 2007

16. WindyCityGal606

Jul 13, 2007

Wouldn't this be sexual harrassment or forcing yourself on someone? Isn't this illegal? Imagine if those were male students doing those things to a female sub. They'd be arrested and charged. Getting to spend 2-3 weeks in an alternate program isn't fair. What they did is a crime.

Such a shame for this man. He must have just been scared. I wonder why he didn't call the office. Maybe he was afraid he's lose out on a day's pay.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

I agree with you 200%

I hate when trash hides behind free speech

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2007

This is absolutely sickening. I was reading a book about a young adult who went undercover in a high school and saw a great deal of things going on. How much of it is true, I haven't an idea. But in all honesty, these are some reasons why education is criticized by some so much today.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2007

Sad, I just typed in a few schools' names in my area to youtube and saw some big-time goof off behavior going on when a sub was in a room. That's why I fear "unknown" subs at times, even in fourth grade... :eek:

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2007

"I believe that is for telephone recordings."

Oh, maybe you're right. That was just something I heard on one of those pathetic summer days when I'm still in my pajamas at 1:00 in the afternoon watching The People's Court. :)

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 15, 2007

I stay in my pajamas all day on some days. :sorry:

Ahhh... it's just sad watching kids from the local high school playing music really loud in an AP class with a substitute. Substitutes should be monitored. I've had a few horrible ones in my first three years- one that gave out candy as bribery and made sad faces in their agendas... and the other playing something along the lines of Duck, Duck, Goose. Yes, fourth grade!!

However, last year, we didn't have a problem once and all the substitutes worked out. But my kids aren't recording for youtube, either...