"You're not the right fit."

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by uncleal, Nov 19, 2010.

1. uncleal

uncleal Rookie

Nov 19, 2010

I was let go from an LTS position today and still in shock.

I was subbing for a special education class in an elementary school with more than 15 fourth and fifth graders. It was supposed to last till March.

I thought I was doing so well. I had the classroom management down. I was starting to build up curriculum. Both the othre special education teacher and teacher's aide said that I was really good.

Then, at the end of school, right after the students left, the principal told me that they were planning to try out another sub teacher after the holiday week. He told me I wasn't the right fit. When I asked why, he said he would prefer not to delve and advised me to try another school.

Now, I am at home drowning in a bottle of wine and thinking about why I am in this field. Help.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 19, 2010

I am so sorry. I know that must have been so hard to hear.

Just a few quick thoughts - with our LTS, after a certain number of days, they are entitled to benefits, accruing (sp) days towards tenure and a pay increase. If this is true in your case, maybe it becomes a case of a district trying to save money and it's not you. Perhaps the principal is being pressured to bring in someone else?

Again, I am so very sorry and I am sending you LOTS of virtual hugs

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2010

I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 19, 2010

I think that was horrible of them to say that then not give you a reason. Can you possibly call the school, or write a very polite, professional email?

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2010

I'm sorry that happened to you. I do agree with the poster that said it might be a budgetary thing. My old district was required to pay long term subs more after a certain number of days. Some P's were notorious for firing the LTS's and hiring new ones a day or two before that limit.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 19, 2010

And that would be (to quote Sarge) craptacular...if that's the case, I'm not sure I would want to work there!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2010

KC, it's unfortunate, but true. P's are sometimes forced to make horrible decisions. If it's between that and basic supplies, what do you think a P might chose.

I'm not justifying it, but just saying.....

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2010

If the P wouldn't tell you why, then I'll bet my hubby that it's all based on money!!!

I had a Principal who pulled the same crap on me. I had taught at that school for two years and this newbie of a P was failing at his job. At the end of the year, he told the district office to tell me that I would not be rehired. When I confronted my P, he refused to tell me why.

But, things all will work out in the end. Believe me. I was able to get a job in another district the following year AND I am now back at the same district AT THE SAME school where I was at before. They fired my old P and hired another one who loves me. :)

So, just so you know, a lot of us have been in your shoes and have survived.

10. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Nov 19, 2010

What an awful way to treat you. If there was a problem, you should have been informed so you could change. Therefore, it was NOT a good place for you to be. I hope the silver lining shows up soon for you. That was so hurtful of them to treat you like that.

11. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Nov 20, 2010

Would it be too out of line to ask the Super. - since the Prin. won't elaborate. You need to know the reasoning - if not monetary - so that you can re-evaluate what you are doing. From what it sounds like, however, it really has nothing to do with your abilities. :dunno: I know in our district, if the Prin. has a concern - be it with a sub, teacher, custodian, etc. - he/she must meet with the employee to discuss possible corrective action. And only THEN if there is no improvement, is someone asked to leave. :hugs:

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 20, 2010

Oh so sorry. I was a newly hired special ed teacher 1 yr & was told in Feb of that school yr that I wasn't a good fit either. I think that's such a broad reason, which can mean virtually ANYTHING. It's just a principal's lame excuse to get out of saying the real reason OR it's probably moreso that they don't have a truly legitimate reason, but they figure they have to say something! :mad:

The thing that bothers me is that if people truly aren't a good fit, rather than being let go just like that, it's up to the principal to sit the employee down & discuss what to change, improve on, etc., but a lot of principals don't care.

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 20, 2010

I had a lot of subs in my room at the beginning of the year before we hired a full time aide. There was one that we got and thought she would be perfect for the subbing job until we found someone. However, she was not a good fit for my classroom. Another teacher had loved her as a sub, but she wasn't a good fit for my classroom. She overstepped her boundaries (going against what I had asked her to do, telling the kids to do something other than what I asked them to do, assisting students on tests, searching a kid's backpack while I was out of the room, messing up a child's BIP)... so the AP did call her and tell her she was not a good fit for my room, but that she could still sub in another classroom. She did explain to her that these were all the reasons she was not welcome to sub in my room anymore. If there were reasons, I think that they should definitely sit down and talk to you about them.... even if they still let you go.

14. uncleal

uncleal Rookie

Nov 20, 2010

Thank you for the comments and condolensces everyone! I went to the district office and talked to the personnel technician to cry my eyes out. She said that there are more jobs for me. I also asked her if I could see my evaluation from the school when it comes out. I am wondering whether or not the Principal is going to give me a negative evaluation, which would ultimately tell me what happened.

Until then, I believe I was a good teacher. I worked extremely hard and I cared for these students. I wish I could have done more, but there is nothing that I could do. Now, it's back to SubFinder and hoping for more calls.

I wouldn't mind being back at the school again, but definitely under a different Principal. I think I was ultimately let go because I am inexperienced. I was working on that at school, but I think he needs a teacher who has more years of experience who can hit the ground running.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 20, 2010

I'm sorry to hear the P wouldn't give you a full explanation. How very frustrating. But I agree with the others, it could very well be financial.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2010

Hugs to you, uncleal.

17. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Nov 20, 2010

Could be anything. I suspect financial motive.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2010

I'm so sorry that this happened! I agree with everyone else that it is probably budgetary and letting you go and hiring someone else will save the district money.

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 20, 2010

The other thing that's so stupid (in education) is that PLENTY of current teachers at any school aren't "a good fit". So many teachers I know, who aren't team members at school. They bolt to the parking lot at 3pm, they don't support extracurriculer functions, they sit in the staff lounge and complain (while droning on about their own kids)... and those types are beyond reproach because of their years of service.

20. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 20, 2010

:yeahthat:

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 20, 2010

You know what MY take is on this? If the P told you this without giving you a reason why... I would not worry quite so much as to WHY you were not a good fit. Because, clearly under this P's direction, this school is NOT a good fit for you. Anyone that would give you that kind of lame excuse when you are obviously trying to do an exceptional job is not the kind of person that you deserve to work for. Keep your chin up and get out there and do good things. The next position that comes up, just might be the niche that is a Just Right fit for YOU!

22. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 20, 2010

I come from a corporate HR background, so the whole idea of just letting someone go without documentation, warnings and reasons is just completely bizarre to me.

While I can believe it happening for a sub, since we're basically treated like yesterday's garbage in a lot of ways, I also know of a full-time teacher who was fired a few weeks into the school year and also refused a reason.

I'm sorry this happened to you. It isn't right. For a job where we are so focused on teaching ethics and values to kids, to be treated like a disposable waste product is deplorable.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 21, 2010

One thing I never liked is how a new teacher's fate lies in the hands of a SINGLE person...the principal. So if that person doesn't like you for whatever reason, you're pretty much screwed. :mad:

With my situation, I was never told anything else other that "I'm not a good fit". After I was told this, the union president basically told me that I'm better off. Yeah, easy for her to say, she still has a job. The real kicker is that when the P chose to not rehire me, she moved away & wasn't even the principal of that school anymore, so she wouldn't have had to deal w/ me either way.

So true.

24. Subber

Subber Companion

Nov 21, 2010

My first thought was exactly what INteacher said. Now my second thought was "INteacher" said.