"You're not the boss of me!!,

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by newbie0809, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Apr 25, 2011

A single student (or students) is never allowed to ruin the program. If a student tries -- "I don't care about PAT! It's dumb! -- he/she is pulled aside and told matter-of-fact not to worry about PAT. Instead he/she will deal directly with the teacher and either 1) put on Omission Training schedule or 2) experience the teacher's back up system.

2. Carliee

Carliee Rookie

May 27, 2011

Loomis...you have some great ideas. I'm subbing HS today and had 3 girls making up rude/disrespectful raps about me. I called behavior and they were removed from the room. The rest of the class continued with comments about me. I chose to ignore them for the rest of the hour. Things didn't get better or worse.

The teacher will get a note. I'm sure I made it worse by my response and I need to learn how to relax my facial muscles.

In addition to the rapping, one of the girls gave me the "you're not my teacher you're just a substitute" line. Getting "You not my momma. You not my dadda. You not my teacha" attitude is the worst! Once they start with that, I call behavior because they are outright saying they won't listen to me.

I've had it suggested by a non-teacher counselor friend to ask what they want. What do you all think of that idea?

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

May 27, 2011

Carliee,

Subbing has its own unique challenges. I don't know how the school you subbed for referred to you but I found some schools - staff and administration - do not use "sub" rather "teacher". This, in itself, can cut through some of the disrespect associated with term "sub".

Sounds like you are figuring out all the junk coming out of kids' mouths is just backtalk. Backtalk comes in many flavors from nice "That's a nice necklace. Where did you buy it?" to nasty "Get out of my face you blankity blank!" The difficult part is trying to remain calm when your physiology directs otherwise. The kids are betting they can upset you, make you speak, and play their game. What usually shuts them down is a teacher standing calmly, not speaking and looking kinda' bored like "Is this the best you can do? I've heard this a million times. Can't you be more creative?"

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 28, 2011

I'm actually quite surprised schools are even allowed to give out candy in this manner, though I know you are suggesting it be done sparingly. Doing so in my classroom last year, would have royally upset a parent and I wouldn't have even thought to include that in the sub plans since it is not something I would even consider to be done out there.

5. Pam

Pam New Member

Jun 10, 2011

I've found that a lot of times, direct confrontation with kids who are in "you aren't the boss of me" mode just doesn't get you anywhere--no matter how high or low their functioning. You need to try to remove yourself from the equation. I've found two things effective: 1) For younger kids, "blame the schedule" works well. You have a posted visual schedule that clearly shows how long the activity is, and what the reward is for finishing (5 minute break or similar), and stick with it. It isn't "you" directing them--it is the schedule. 2) For older/ higher functioning kids, shift it to it being the child's choice. "Your right, I'm not the boss of you. You are. So which do you want to do?" Then present them with two or three choices that includes a consequence for doing nothing (whatever the typical "bad behavior" punishment is at your school--being sent to the disciplinarian or whatever). The key is to work around them--not confront them. Often as not, this is a personality issue. Some personalities just don't take well to feeling "bossed"

6. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 11, 2011

There is really only two things I can suggest. First get a stern voice now. Children can smell the weakness lol They know your just a sub and hold little power over them. Second send them to the office and make sure you include the issue in your daily note to the teacher. Your weapon is your notes to the teacher. Not to mention teacher depend on those notes so they know what you did and accomplished for the day.