You're not that big and bad!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, Apr 3, 2013.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Apr 3, 2013

I am sooooo sick of all the teachers here (specifically the first/second and third/fourth grade teacher) saying things like "Just wait till they come into my class! They won't get away from that in my class!" Seriously!? They're flippin' five years old! Anytime they see one of my students do anything age appropriate for a kindergartner, BUT not age appropriate for the grade level they teach, (such as crying because they want their mom or running in the hall) they say "You won't be able to do that in my class!" No kidding! That's because they'll be older and more mature. They also tell my parents, "Are you ready for me?"

I'm pretty strict with my students and I expect their best. But, I'm also realistic in what they can handle as kindergartners!

They both think they are so big and bad. We work at an affluent middle/ upper class school with small class sizes. If they (or me!) spent one day in an inner city school, they would have a very hard time! That would humble them!

I know that this doesn't sound like a big deal and its really not. However, I'm sick of it. Quit acting like you are Mrs. Teacher of the Year!

Unfortunately, I am the only K teacher at my school, so this forum is the only place I have to vent to.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2013

I get you. I really, really do. :)

4. Marylander

Marylander Rookie

Apr 3, 2013

Consider yourself totally vented! I teach fourth grade and would never ever dream of making remarks like that to any teacher of a lower grade. In fact, I regularly praise our kindergarten and first grade faculty for doing such a fine job. When I see what they do on a daily basis, I understand exactly why I'm in intermediate grades! Unfortunately, there is a grade five teacher in my school who thinks she's all that and then some. Last year she actually announced that she would "fix"an incoming student with academic issues. By December she was scratching her head and wondering what was wrong with the kid.

The next time those teachers hop on their mightier-than-thou high horses, sweetly invite them to switch places with you for a day! See how fast they gallop away. My guess is that they couldn't do your job in a million years. Be proud of what you do because it takes a special person to work with those little ones.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 3, 2013

That's so annoying and subtly says to the teacher "the child's misbehavior is YOUR fault. My management is better than yours". These teachers don't take into account:

1. Age/maturity of the child

2. Classs demographics (in 1st, we had four kids that were menances and in one class. In 2nd, they were seperated before the year began and no longer much of an issue)

3. Medication/therapy (I had a kid that was all OVER the place in 1st. Crying, screaming, not doing work, etc etc. Then he got on meds and went through all these crazy symptoms. By 2nd his meds were balanced and he was much better)

4. Family situations sometimes change for the better

6. minnie

minnie Cohort

Apr 3, 2013

Thank you :) I was afraid I was being a baby about it. Th ese teachers haven't taught anywhere else so they've had it easy. All of the other teachers here are very head strong and outspoken so they make their opinion heard. Unfortunately, they do it a little too much.

Once again, thanks for understanding! :D

7. minnie

minnie Cohort

Apr 3, 2013

Thank you :wub:

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 3, 2013

*Runs screaming in terror away from the little ones*

My hat is off to you, because the mini-humans terrify me. Give me 40 inner city, gang member 7th graders and I'm fine. 15 5-year-olds and I'm toast.

I agree with the person who suggested to sweetly offer to change places for the day. :D

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 3, 2013

I think the problem is that most teachers in any grade really have a difficult time realizing the unique challenges in teaching Kindergarten. Most teachers never will understand or appreciate the challenges you have. I spent a lot of subbing days in Kindergarten and I have some appreciation for how unique and difficult your job really is.

If the teachers on your staff had a month in your shoes, I believe they would understand what you go through a lot better. Since they don't, I would try to take it easy on them as they are just ignorant.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 3, 2013

Kindergarten is the one grade I will never ever ever ever ever ever teach. I wouldn't even do it justice. I'd have no clue what's even developmentally appropriate for that age.

HATS OFF TO YOU!

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 4, 2013

I completely understand-that drives me crazy, too! It makes me feel like they think I can't handle my own students. Like they're going to be the one to fix all of their problems, because I'm too easy on them (which is definitely not true). I find those types of comments very disrespectful.

12. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 4, 2013

You are amazing, Minnie!

When I was teaching first grade I can clearly recall the second grade teacher next door saying "Wow, that wouldn't fly in my class."

This was eight years ago and I remember it so well!

Try not to let the other teachers bother you, easier said than done I know!

I taught Kindergarten my first two years teaching and I remember that I was training little minds as well as parents! You have such a responsibility as a K teacher with the parents who are new to a school setting!

Out of 18 kids, maybe some came from Montessori, some from home school, some from an at-home care, and some from a VPK! Basically, you have a melting pot of little 5 year olds!

On top of that you have parents who may be anxious (very understandable) about the children's first year of schooling!!!! You train parents in drop off/pick up, etc unless they have older siblings!

Hats off to YOU Minnie!!! You rock and don't let ANYONE tell you differently. :hugs:

PS. Vent anytime. :)

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 4, 2013

I completely understand. ON the flip side, I absolutely hate when I hear 4th grade teachers tell me DAILY-"wait until next year-the kids are so bad!" Yeah, I see them daily, so I don't need a reminder from you. BTW-I hate hearing that kids are bad!

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 4, 2013

I teach first, but wouldn't touch kindergarten with a 10 foot pole. It's the one grade in my school I could never teach. I truely admire kinder teachers and appreciate all that they do to get those kiddos ready for my class. I have very supportive colleagues who wouldn't say those kinds of things, so I am sorry you are going through that. Yeah, those kids sure won't be acting like that in grade 5... and it's because YOU did YOUR job in kinder!

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 4, 2013

:yeahthat: We actually have a day where we have to switch grade levels and 1st grade teachers teach K or Pre K for an hour. The purpose is supposed to be to show the lower grades "whats coming" and motivate them to work harder in their own grade.

Last year I did K and OMG! Those kids were all over the place. "I have too pee pee!" "When's miss <K teacher> coming back?" "I miss my mommy".

I had one boy who worked very diligently on his assignment and finished first. Then he looked around, saw he was done and started crying! :eek: apparently he wanted to "color some more". I tried giving him another assignment but he was too far gone.

Another boy didn't have a red crayon so I told him to use maroon. He decided to use gray, then started crying that "my picture is ugly!" I had to breathe deeply to keep calm as I replied "THAT is why I said use maroon. That looks more red than gray. This is why you need to listen." I gave him the maroon and said color over it.

He started coloring then began to cry again and try to take someone else's red. :mad:

It was a lot of work. I think all schools should let grade levels switch.

At that age the kiddos are still learning HOW to be a student. Whenever my first graders arrive and sit quietly at their desks and start copying the warm up, raise their hand for the bathroom, throw their food away after eating snack, use their words and not their fists, grab a book after they finish reading, don't start crying when reprimanded, I silently thank the K and Pre K teachers.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2013

I would be very annoyed as well. I have never experienced any teacher saying anything like that, thankfully. I have had several teachers say they admire us ( all the teachers on my grade level) because they don't think they could teach our grade level.

17. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Apr 4, 2013

When I taught K I actually had the opposite problem that drove me up a wall. I had higher grade level teachers who would walk by, see a kid crying or acting out and walk over and say, "Um, fix that, get that under control, get them tested, get them on medication before they get to whatever grade I teach.". I was always like "excuse me, come do what I do for a day and we'll see how fast you can "fix it, get it under control, get them tested, get them on medication". I feel your pain.

18. minnie

minnie Cohort

Apr 4, 2013

Em_Catz, I would love to have everyone switch for a day! That would be very enlightening. I have no problem admitting that I am not meant to teach junior high...they scare me (our school has K-8)!

You all have made me feel a lot better knowing I'm not alone :)

19. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 4, 2013

Oh my, you are most DEFINATELY not alone. Occasionally I've had members of my team do this -- say, "If he was in MY class he would know that crap would NEVER fly." I just shake my head and inwardly go :rolleyes: because you just never know until you've walked a mile in someone elses' shoes.

20. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Apr 4, 2013

I can't believe that! I always see the kindergarten kids and think, "I could NEVER teach kindergarten. Those teachers work their asses off! Those kids are crazy!" I really do think that. If they think they can do it better, let them have at it!!! They will learn that the older kids act "better" because they are more mature and naturally act "better".

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2013

I would love yo switch for a day. What an experience that would be.

22. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 4, 2013

I've always thought that this would be an awesome idea. It makes teachers (some of whom have taught the same grade for x of years) to get out of their comfort zone. It also can be refreshing and enlightening, to step out of your own trials and tribulations into a different environment. As a sub, it is one of the things I see regularly. I think teachers who would do this would have more empathy for their own students. It would lower the pretense level in (e.g.) upper-grade teachers telling lower-grade teachers, that stuff wouldn't fly in their classrooms.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 4, 2013

I frequently have students that behave well in my class but are holy terrors in another teachers' room. Since I teach secondary and the kids are switching classes throughout the day, we can't blame maturity for the differences in behavior.

I've had other staff members comment on how disciplined they seem with me but other teachers cannot control them at all. And I tell them right away that I cannot take credit for the differences. I don't have any magic wand that I wave. I really believe it comes down to two possible things: medication that has kicked in for my class but has worn off for another and/or (most importantly) the classroom dynamics. Who else is in that room that sets certain students off?

I can't stand it when other teachers play that "just you wait" or "if she was in MY room..." bit. It is insulting. Sometimes it has nothing to do with the teacher at all.

The flip side - I have had one student that I could never find anything in him to love. Off all the hundreds of students I've had, I've always been able to find something to appreciate in them. Not this guy. He made my class hell. Other students begged me to kick him out. Nothing within my arsenal worked. His mother said he hated women (her included) and his father taught him he didn't have to listen to anything a woman told him (his wife included). He's an absolute angel in my colleague's class. A male teacher. I figure if I refuse to take the blame for that failed relationship, I sure can't take credit for the successful ones.

24. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Apr 4, 2013

I know what you mean. I had a kiddo a couple of years ago who made daily life hell. There was a teacher near my room who would always tell me, "Just send him to my room for a few minutes. He won't try that crap in here. He doesn't want to come in here!" Really?

25. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 5, 2013

I'm glad so many people are keen to this idea. Maybe you can suggest it at your schools. I think it's just as valuable for teachers as it is for the kids. It's funny because a lot of the kids remember me from that day and ask if I remember them the following year when theyre in my class. I normally just smile and say "OF COURSE!" :rolleyes:

My hat is off to you who sub. I think that is the only job harder than being a teacher. I could not imagine if I taught a different class each day or worked with one class for a few days then had to switch to a new school or even another grade level. When you are with the kids each day you get to know their behaviors, but to change each day, wow! Hard!

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2013

I have a huge amount of respect for subs because I remember my own subbing days. The kids don't always treat you the same, and you are constantly trying to find something, locate something, and understand the lesson plan. Subbing is not an easy gig for sure.

27. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2013

Kindergarten is a different beast when it comes to elementary school. I have taught PE to k-5 for almost a fourth of a century each day. K is the only grade that I would struggle with. I observe our K teachers and those with rituals, routines and detailed plans in small time allotments do the best. I can see how they do it now but it is tough. Imagine how tough it was before they all walked in without PreK?

28. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 5, 2013

Unfortunately that is becoming the norm more and more in my district. They've been cutting Pre - K programs left and right...we used to have three Pre-K classes at my school. Now we only have one and it's half day.

Our K teachers had said numerous times that they see a big difference for the worse.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but we are asking more and more of our students, so I don't understand cutting back their foundation.

29. teacherfelly

teacherfelly Rookie

Apr 5, 2013

My guess is the teachers who are saying that to you, your kids, or their parents do not mean to be malicious. However, I think when they say things like that it shows both a lack of understanding as well as a fear of ever having to teach children at that maturity level. It's interesting how they use their words to appear tough, but all it shows is their inability to cope with younger children. :dizzy: <-- I picked this smiley because I think it's funny not because it relates to my comment.

30. mkate

mkate Comrade

Apr 6, 2013

How about answering with a knowing smile, and the comment, "You've never taught Kindergarten, have you?"

31. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 6, 2013

To further the idea, I really think it could replace a lot of the paid professional development that schools tend to have, if teachers simply "swapped rooms" for the day. Same grade, different grade, same school, different school... whatever the case may be, I think it really could be enlightening, even the most veteran of teachers. It's an opportunity to step out of one's comfort zone (comfort breeds complacency). It's a chance to see what others may do in their rooms, in a practical, no-nonsense way (i.e. no administrators trying to "administrate"... just you and a class full of kids). It's a chance to see if the grass is greener elsewhere. It's a chance just to break up any monotony that you may be feeling, and appreciate your own class and possibly school situation.

As I type this though, I'm certain that this type of thing would be met with opposition by teachers... complaining about "having to" spend time preparing a lesson plan for the other teacher (who comes to sub in their room), complaining about disrupting their curriculum, etc.

32. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Apr 6, 2013

Or a learning walk through other classrooms?

33. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 7, 2013

I like John's idea better because we have learning walks at my school and they a kind of "gotcha!" Basically you have the entire grade level, P, VP, our instructional specialists, the ESOL and SpEd teachers, and the P.E and Music teacher all in your room at one time. They walk around looking at stuff and observe you for twenty minutes.

Then they walk out and discuss what they all saw together and you get a list of maybe three things you did/said right during the lesson and about 15 to 20 things you did/said wrong and things they didn't like about your classroom. You are not allowed to defend yourself. All the negative comments are anonymous so it breeds a distrust