You're not going anywhere this week, said the appendix.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WarriorPrncss, Jan 21, 2015.

1. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jan 21, 2015

Can I just vent for a moment? That's what this forum is form right? Random stuff?

I went to the program orientation for my Credential program Saturday the 12th. I was to begin student teaching the following Tuesday.

Sunday at work, a co-worker called lamenting how she was very sick and didn't have time to be off work and I told her I was sorry and how I understood and how I had NO idea what I'd do if I suddenly got sick and had to be off work.

Apparently life took my comment as a challenge. :thumb:

I got to work at 2pm on Monday. I hadn't been feeling good all morning, but by 4pm I was in a fair amount of pain and asked to leave. I went straight to the Urgent Care feeling frustrated and figured I had a UTI of some sort. The Urgent Care said they couldn't help me because they didn't know what was wrong and sent me to the ER.

Flash forward to 12:30am on Tuesday and an ER doctor comes in the room and tells me she's calling the on call surgeon because, I had appendicitis. :eek:

Freaking APPENDICITIS. Other people get that. I mean... COME. ON. :dizzy:

So, I had surgery and was in the hospital a couple of days, had 2 urgent appts with a surgeon due to complications, and I've been on bedrest until this morning when the doctor released me.

Talk about getting sick at the worst time. And it's not like you can treat appendicitis. It may take a couple days to burst, but it won't go away.

I guess better that it happened before I got a real teaching job. Forget a normal job, making sub plans in pain and from a hospital would not have been a possibility.

So.... end rant. If you read all this, bless you and may appendicitis NOT be in your future.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 21, 2015

I had it last year. Missed two weeks of work!

Thankfully, though, I didn't have any complications due to surgery. From the time I went to the ER to the time I left after the procedure, I was only at the hospital for a total of 22 hours! Not too shabby!

4. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jan 22, 2015

Wow! I was in the ER for 6.5 hours. Once they diagnosed it they admitted me and kept saying the surgeon was coming.... WELL... the surgeon decided (by looking at my CT scan) that while I was in severe pain my appendix wasn't ready to rupture and I didn't end up having surgery until about 1130 that morning... almost 12 hours after diagnosis. They let me go home Wednesday afternoon.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 22, 2015

My dad had it in July - went to the doctor at like 6 PM on a Wednesday, he went "uhhh yeah that isn't your hernia that's probably appendicitis, let me walk you to the hospital"

Since our PCP's practice also does some of the inpatient care at the hospital (They have like 6 doctors at the practice and like 8-10 at the hospital), my dad got in in like 30 minutes, then they did their CT scan to confirm and were like "Well we can't get a hold of your surgeon, so we'll monitor you through the night and if we have to, we'll get the on-call guy to remove your appendix." Then he got it out at like 12 PM when they got a hold of his surgeon a few hours before - the guy's cell phone battery died the night before because he forgot to plug his phone in (He's 75). Then my dad was out the next day by 1 PM - he was only kept so long because he's diabetic and they wanted to make sure the anesthesia didn't mess with his blood sugar too much. Took him like 2-3 weeks to fully recover, but he started going back into work the following tuesday (So four days after the surgery)

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2015

I hope you feel better soon!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 22, 2015

It does seem like the worst time for it to happen, but there isn't really a good time. So, get the rest you need and don't worry about it. You have to take care of yourself before you can get anything done well.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 22, 2015

I get this. It's safer to wait until you haven't eaten for surgery. Emergency surgery is always more risky. It still sucks waiting, though.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 22, 2015

Thankfully, they did my surgery right away since I hadn't eaten anything all day. I was soooooo sick! :(

10. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jan 22, 2015

I actually hadn't eat since 11am on Monday. So I'd not eaten in 24 hours by the time they did surgery. I couldn't even have ice chips. :-(