"You're my favorite teacher!!"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 6, 2014

so says a few of my students....... I tend to consider this statement to mean that I am neither mean nor tough enough..... Any agree with my self-assessment? :D

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2014

That could be. But it could also be one of many other reasons. Many students will have more respect for someone who is fair, or who holds everyone accountable, or who shows that they care about each individual more....tons of different reasons. I don't think too much into those statements, as my goal isn't to be the favorite, it is to make school a positive, productive, safe, warm environment for each kid...and each kid will react differently to seeing those qualities in an environment.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 6, 2014

There can be a number of reasons that students will say that, and they are very rarely negative ones. Best to maintain that mutual caring while making sure you are effective rather than thinking you need to be meaner to be effective. Students who are in fear of their teacher being mean or tough might shut down rather than learn. Students who know they are safe but have rules will flourish.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 6, 2014

I got that one time when I was teaching in a middle school (my students are non verbal now so I won't be hearing that again). I think I was her favorite teacher because I praised her several times for her creativity in her writing. She seemed a bit shy and I'm thinking a lot of teachers ignored her since she tended to want to sit at the back of the room.

6. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 6, 2014

I agree with what's been posted so far...I don't think it's necessarily because you're too nice or too easy. My favorite teachers in high school were the ones that gave the most work, actually. I didn't have respect for the "easy" teachers. I actually went to my counselor to switch out of a too-easy class! As for being not mean enough...that's probably a good thing. It's definitely possible to be strict, fair, and challenging while still maintaining positive relationships with students (and giving off the "nice" vibe).

7. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 6, 2014

Agreed with everyone. It could be because you're super nice but it could also be that you've expressed interest in the child and his/her interests, that you're more consistent than some of the other adults in the student's life, that they know you've hung in with them even when they were acting poorly etc. Just enjoy the compliment. :)

During one of my student teaching placements, one of my kiddos told me he knew I'd get a job quickly because I'm so awesome and a few minutes later, a different kiddo told me that I was the meanest teacher he's ever had. I tried to take both as compliments. ;)

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 6, 2014

Depending on the student it could mean various things.

You are the rare teacher that actually respects the student. You challenge him. You are fair. You pleasant and make the student feel good when in your class.

It doesn't always mean you are too nice or not challenging enough.

I wonder why you feel these things about yourself?

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 6, 2014

I got that today. And five minutes later when I said there wouldn't be a word bank on the quiz she said she couldn't stand being in my class, lol.

Teens be fickle.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2014

IA. Sometimes we just have to take a compliment and run with it.
    It can be a nice boost to your "teacher self-esteem/self-confidence" especially after a rough day.

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 7, 2014

Well, I do act silly with most of my classes. I also have sung to them. One of the students asked if I took singing lessons because she said I sounded really good. Hey, if a man can sing "Let It Go" and "Once Upon a Dream" well to a room mainly full of girls, how can't I be a favorite! :lol:

I know I allow more talk and walk in class. "Walk" meaning if students get their answers correct, they become my helpers and they walk to others that need help. Thus, the classes can become loud at times but my hand signal lets them know it's time to quiet down and listen to me.

I believe that I'm probably still letting my students "get away" with stuff like chit-chat where other teachers tend not to allow much if any. That's the main reason why maybe I'm not tough enough. Perhaps too loose with the silliness and just having "fun."

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2014

I think they're secondary students and are probably beyond having you as a "favorite" solely because you're easy. It probably has more to do with your stretching the mold of the standard classroom environment. This isn't a bad thing.

I seem to remember from psychology lessons something called the "Hawthorne effect" -- essentially, introduction of novelty can increase performance (apparently up to almost a third of a SD :woot: -- for those not math/science inclined, that's like an average increase of 5 IQ points, or about 30 points on an SAT math section ).

I'd also add, if you decided it was because you're "easy", or "lenient" -- what would be the purpose in becoming less so? Is it just because you think teachers shouldn't be so lenient? Are the students not performing to expectations?

IMO, school should be enjoyable. Work should be enjoyable. I've had bosses who frowned on any laughter in the workplace, and believe me their employees were not exactly motivated to perform well.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 7, 2014

I've experienced the same things. You could go into finding out the reasons why they think you are their favorite teachers, and hearing reasons like, 'you really make us think', 'I learn a lot in your class', 'you make learning fun', and 'you care about us' are definitely better than hearing reasons like 'you're easy', 'you let us talk in class', 'you let us eat in class', 'you don't care if we use cell phones', or 'you're funny', but why not just accept it for what it is and leave it at that.

You may or may not have the student retract the statement at any time, so I've learned to be happy when it happens, but not let it get to me if they say the alternative (I guffaw sadistically if anyone says they hate my class).

I had students last year who said High School was WAAAAAAY better because they had no dress code, and they could use their cell phones in class. I was pretty sure that was a shallow evaluation between the two schools.

My favorite compliment from a student last year was 'never stop teaching, because I can tell you really love what you do, and that makes it fun to be in your class'. I thought that was very sweet.