"You're leaving already?"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 12, 2012

So, at my new school, I don't have a mentor. There are a couple of teachers who have been very helpful in filling me in on things and helping me get acclimated. I actually like them a lot, but this really gets to me.

Our contracted hours are 8:15 to 3:15. I'm almost always there by 7:45, and I never leave before 4:15. Every time I leave, (and I do mean EVERY time) I hear the same thing from one of the teachers: "You're leaving already?" It really gets to me so today I said back "Well, I have two kids at home and they need me." So she said back "Oh, I understand. But you should let them know that you need at least one day a week to stay at school and get things done." :eek:hmy:

For the record, I always bring work home with me so it's not like I just check out at 4:15 and I'm done. But I really don't think I need any excuses anyway after 8 1/2 hours of work including me sitting in my room grading papers while I'm eating my lunch. When I look at our sign out sheet, most people are long gone when I leave, but maybe this teacher thinks that because I'm new, I should stay until who knows when. She apparently stays late every night for reasons I don't understand since she's been there for 20 years and I would think that things should run pretty smoothly after all that time.

I'm not trying to be negative about her. Like I said, she's been very helpful and she told me that the principal asked her how I was doing and she was very complimentary. I just worry that since she's apparently got the principal's ear, she's going to communicate that I'm not putting in enough time. But since when does an 8 1/2 hour day constitute "leaving early"?

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 12, 2012

It doesn't... next time she says something disparaging, just respond with a smile and say something like "Yes, I'm going home to grade these papers, plan these lessons, etc., where my children can interact with me while I do it" in a pleasant way. I was at school from 6:30 am til they kicked me out at 6:30 pm for the first 4 years. I'm tired. This year, I still arrive at 6:30 a.m., but I'm usually gone by 4 (still taking work home of course :) ). Our contracted hours are from 7:45 until 3:15, and I don't know how teachers arrive at 7:45 and are ready for their kiddos by 7:50, but I figure that's their business, lol.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2012

Oh, just reading this goes all over me!

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2012

No teacher should ever feel guilty for "just" working their contract hours.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 12, 2012

"Thank you for your suggestion." It doesn't mean you have to take it.

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 12, 2012

Out of curiosity, why are you required to sign out if you leave after your contracted hours? We only sign out if we leave early, so I am just wondering.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2012

How very sad-- that she has no home life and assumes the same is true of you.

Be polite and cordial. And keep your priorities exactly where they are.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 12, 2012

Yes, we're required to sign in and out each day, regardless of the time. They mark the sheet by your spot if you don't sign in on time, but fortunately I've never come close to being late.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 12, 2012

Some teachers are just that way. Some people just really do need a lot of prep time or genuinely like staying at school to work. I stay later/earlier now than I used to because my kids don't let me work as much when I am home.

11. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 12, 2012

:yeahthat: Agreed!

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 12, 2012

I would smile, and just say sweetly: 'oh yes, I'm done with all my work, it's time for me to go home to my family'.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 12, 2012

There was a while when I stayed late, because I didn't want to bring work home. Then i realized it was better if I came home right away, because planning for lessons was easier late at night, while I was also watching tv. And then i learned to do this really fast, sometimes even during my prep time at school.
    Regardless of what style of prepping teachers choose to do, they shouldn't have expectations of others. This lady should mind her own business.

14. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Sep 12, 2012

i agree that this woman probably has no life at home...instead of being angry, try being her friend. have lunch with her once a week. she sounds lonely.

15. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 12, 2012

Wow, that's really obnoxious, especially since you're working beyond contract hours. If she said that to me I'd point out that I could have left an hour ago.

16. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Sep 12, 2012

I work from 8 till 4. If I am not done with the next days stuff, I'll take it with me. Otherwise, anything else gets to wait till tomorrow.

I learned after my first year that my sanity only stays if I leave school by 4. I take full advantage of my prep time though, so I definitly work from 8 -4 with the exception of my lunch.

17. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

Don't feel guilty at all. Your priorities are in the right place.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 12, 2012

That would get under my skin too. I really don't understand why people worry about what hours others are working.

I used to get it in the mornings. Our day started at 8:00, I'd usually arrive at 7:00. If for some reason it was closer to 7:30, I'd get several comments of "you're late-ha,ha". I wondered if the people who came late every day got jokes when they actually got there early.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2012

I wouldn't respond, except with a "yup"....and not let it cross my mind again. My family comes FIRST. I would never give a second thought to leaving when contracted hours say I can leave. I am a professional who is prepared every day and I do a professional job every day. No one can make me feel guilty for what I do outside of those hours. I like to think of myself as my own small business..I do what I have to when I have to. Those days I need more time to prepare at school I do. At other times, I leave as needed because I am already prepared. Give me a break. I don't kowtow to ignorant people.
    Sorry, I am in a crabby mood tonight.

20. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

Kudos to you for even staying that long! This is my 4th year teaching and I come in at 820 (contract time) and stay til 4:15 ( contract time to leave is 3:55) at the absolute latest. I think some people are just more efficient with their time than others. No need to judge anyone else or make them feel badly for going to spend time with family. I don't bring anything home unless it's critical to get done...otherwise it tends to just sit in my bag and not get touched! Balance is important!

21. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

Don't feel bad about when you are leaving.

But is there a chance she is just making those comments saying she envies you? Like thinking, "oh, she is leaving already, lucky her! I wish I could leave now."

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2012

Or perhaps "Oh, she is leaving already. How lucky she is to have something to go home to."

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2012

I like to do my school work when I watch tv also.

I felt a little bad last year when I would leave earlier than a lot of the other teachers on my grade level (I still would stay 1-2 hours after the kids left). But then I realized they try to get all their work done at school, while I was doing a lot at home. You can't really judge how much work someone is doing by how late they stay at school.

24. msufan

msufan Comrade

Sep 12, 2012

Our joke at my school is to say "Get out of here!" to each other as an encouragement NOT to live at the school. Maybe you should try that on her. :)

25. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

Sep 12, 2012

I have a coworker who absolutely WILL NOT leave before me. We work crazy hours as it is, usually averages about 80/ week at school because of extracurriculars. And this person just won't do leave unless I do. I know, I've tried on several occasions to stay even later to get things done. And they will literally just sit there. Doing nothing! Until I leave! And then they have the audacity to tell others how late they are there and add in that once or twice I was there late too. It gets under my skin, because I feel like a 14 hour day is long enough and wonder if they're just trying to make me look bad by making me leave first. I just cannot fathom how someone can sit in an office after being there all day, do nothing in the way of work that desperately needs to be done, and then talk about me leaving after I've busted my tail just trying to keep my head above water Because somebody has to do the work! I feel like I should go to my P and ask discuss it, but I don't know how to do it without sounding like I'm complaining about this other teacher.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 13, 2012

I agree that you need to keep doing what you are doing. You're getting your work done, so what does it matter to anyone else?

However, I wouldn't assume that staying late means that she has no home life. Not everyone's home life keeps the same hours either.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 13, 2012

In my head, I would be forming some snarky comeback. Out loud, I would respond with "Yes, I am!".

Then I would start leaving out another door.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 13, 2012

This.

29. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 13, 2012

Go home. An hour beyong contract time is long enough.

30. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 13, 2012

One of the teachers here has two kids and goes home pretty early. I generally don't have a problem with it, but I must subconsciously because one time she was leaving and I accidentally said "Oh, you're going home early?" And then corrected myself "I mean already?"

I felt so stupid afterward because she gave me a "What the heck are you talking about" look.

It was my fault. I'm trying to be more careful about it from now on.

31. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Sep 13, 2012

I'm a first year teacher, and except for the week I set up my classroom, which took me a year and a day, I am there an hour before my class comes in and I stay about 45 minutes or so after class. I am usually one of the first ones there, but there is usually at least another teacher there. The time I come in seems to be the norm. One or two teachers leaver literally the minute kids are dismissed. The only reason I am there for a while after kids leave, is to tidy up my room or put stuff away that the kids brough in since school is only a week in. Any planning or school related stuff, I do at home once my child goes to sleep or on the weekends. Then again, I've only been teaching a week lol. I plan to grade tests on my preps, when I have any, or on the weekend. I would just listen to her comment and role your eyes as you walk away:thumb:.