You're kidding me. You wouldn't believe what maintenace did this weekend.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by midwestteacher, Dec 14, 2009.

1. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 14, 2009

I was told in June that I got a grant and would be getting new laptops, a SMARTBoard, and all the accessories this year. I have been waiting patiently, well not that patiently since I bought curriculum to use the computers.
    Fast forward to last week and the locking cabinet for the laptops is here. Maintenance came in this weekend and bolted it to the wall, put power strips in it, etc. They had to move a bookshelf and two small filing cabinets. I have a small radio on the bookshelf and we turn it on when kids are working on assignments, etc. They ran the cord from the radio, behind the laptop cabinet and plugged it in. Then, they bolted the cabinet to the wall and trapped the radio cord. I can't get the cord from behind the laptop cabinet. I hope the person I borrowed it from doesn't want it back, ever! The only way I can get it out would be to cut the plug off the cord and rewire a new plug on it. What a bunch of goofs!

3. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2009

Our best maintainance story comes from a few years back. Following a flood we had to have the school heating system replaced. So it was decided to install a whizzy new digitally controlled system (mind you they didn't replace any of the plumbing or radiators). So the new boilers were installed and they placed two temperature sensors, one on one side of the building and one on the other. However they managed to cross wire them. So on day one when the system was lit everything went well for about 30 minutes. Then the sensor on one side of the building decided that the temp was high enough and shut off the heating. But it shut down the heating on the other side of the school. On that side the sensor detected the drop in temperature and sent a signal to turn the heat up. This raised the temp on the other side of the school so the sensor over there kept the heat off. On the side where the heat was off the sensor turned the heating up even more, and so on and so forth. By lunchtime one side of the school was so cold it had to be abandoned whilst on the other side all the windows and doors had to be opened in an attempt to bring the temperature down to something bearable. The radiators couldn't be touched for fear of serious burns!! The contractors were unable to come out for a week to try and fix the problem. Eventually our enterprising caretaker (janitor) went to the supermaket and bought a giant bag of frozen vegetables and duct taped them to the wall covering the sensor in the hot part of the school. This switched on the heat in the cold sector and eventually the two sides reached a balance, however the veggies had to stay in the freezer on readiness for a few days until the engineers could put things right!

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 14, 2009

Oh my! I would ask him to remove it or replace it. Our building engineer is awesome and does anything I ask him to do.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2009

As long as we are comparing maintenance stories, how about the men at one school I worked at who installed a bookcase that had a back with the back facing out and the shelves against the wall! They even added support bars to the top and bottom of the bookcase so it could be attached to the wall.

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2009

Another time they moved the toilet roll holders in the staff toilets so that they were only about 12 inches above the floor. You had to stoop to get the paper out! When we complained we were told that the City had issued an instruction to lower the dispensers because research has shown that this significantly reduces tissue use! Needless to say they were moved back up again by the end of the week mainly because the teachers were going to bring in their own tools and do it themselves otherwise!

7. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Dec 16, 2009

One early winter day all my students were busy working quietly and things were going smoothly even though it was snowing for only the second time. Suddenly we hear this horrible noise, which of course makes all the students run to the windnow to see what is going on. One student turns from the window to me and says "Teacher why are they mowing the lawn in the snow?" To this I had no answer but what a sight to see white and green flying together from the mower. Our Maintenance workers really baffle us at times.

8. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Dec 16, 2009

Hahaha These stories are hilarious. Too bad I don't have any of my own to add because we rarely see our maintenance crew... They service all the schools in our district however they seem to stay at one particular school. I waited a year to get my leaky sink faucet fixed.

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 16, 2009

The middle school janitor painted my walls one summer. He painted right over the papers on the bulletin board. When I moved the bookcases later, I discovered that he had painted AROUND them. I had what looked like a cityscape on my wall! NOBODY would do anything about it, so I painted windows on it.

I once asked this man if he would please bring up a large, heavy case of books to my room when he had a moment. He melted down completely, so badly that his mother - the secretary - called me at home that night to apologize FOR HIM. That building was a nightmare of nepotistic dysfunction.

Item: when I was evaluated at the end of that year, I lost points because my walls looked "unprofessional."

10. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Dec 16, 2009

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 16, 2009

Ahhh...I thought maybe you could only park there on Wednesdays...

12. word girl

word girl Rookie

Dec 16, 2009

13. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Dec 16, 2009

LMAO

14. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 16, 2009

I don't know if this counts, but the aid at my school was hanging up bulletin boards and got tired and accidently hung a Z instead of S on a sign in the main hallway where anyone who wants to enter the school with see it. She noticed it and was tired and asked the janitor to fix it for her. He said it looked fine that way and she should leave it.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 16, 2009

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2009

I would hate to have my errors posted online for others to laugh at.

17. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Dec 21, 2009

Wouldn't you like to be the person researching tissue use?

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 21, 2009

I'm still recovering from having my room dumped out in the hall so they could install new carpet.

In retrospect, it was a good thing, I pitched a lot of things I hadn't used in years. It's been cleansing.

You either have to laugh or cry.