You're a 3rd-5th choice candidate...right

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachCafe, Jul 2, 2015.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 2, 2015

I know principals are super busy getting things together for the fall and hiring but I have always assumed hiring is top priority in the summer because you need a teacher body in a classroom.

Monday, I'm driving from signing my contract and I realize I have a missed call. From the district I grew up in, the majority of my education district for a 2nd grade position.

I couldn't help but laugh and literally say in the car "Nooooow you call" just the irony of leaving a contract signing was just too much.

I called the P and they were very enthusiastic and I told them I had accepted another position and honest to God they said "Ooohhh no" and started stuttering and asking what school (I've never known Ps to ask that) and I said it was a different district and I hear a sigh and a very monotone "Well....congratulations"

I know positions get hundreds of applicants but they weed through then or they're secretary does and you mean out of some 200 in 3 weeks no one fit? The day I applied it had just posted so in a queue of applications I know I was one of the top 20 or so. With out state deadline looming for resignations I was stunned at the slowness of it. I applied and emailed the principal.

My first thought was between a 6/11 application date and 6/29 that's pretty much means someone fell through right? I mean in my experience if they want you they call fast.

I usually get a timeline like this Mon - apply, Tues - email P, Wed/Thurs get a call for an interview if they really want you especially in the summer.

3. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 2, 2015

I'm really happy with the district and school I signed with I just thought it was funny.

Around the same time, I applied to both elementary schools in this late district I went too (if anything just to tour it again because both were great years) but not a peep.

And I applied before they adopted next year's budget and had a very large salary increase so I know they just got an influx of candidates becasue they were one of the city's low end salary districts.

4. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Jul 6, 2015

Well it is certainly nice to get the call, I'm sure. :p

Congrats on your new position :)

5. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 7, 2015

Thank you! My new position is closer to home so that's a huge plus.

It was but the timing was just funny.

6. AlphB

AlphB Rookie

Jul 7, 2015

This happened to me too, except I applied months ago and was just getting called for a screener. The district that I had just signed with was a much faster process because they don't want to let good candidates slip through their fingers. I guess other districts don't worry about missing out on good applicants who got tired of waiting?

7. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 10, 2015

This happened to me about 3 days ago. While I don't get board approved until Thursday and don't sign the contract until after that, I did verbally accept a position on June 23rd. I already did some HR paperwork and know who my mentor is. Everyone was so excited for me since I worked at that school as the instructional technology assistant. Well three days ago I got a call from my old elementary school principal asking me to interview for a spot at my old elementary school. I had applied to the position way before I even had an interview set up at the school I will be working at. Of course I declined the interview since I am in pretty deep with the district I am signing with. Also, I found out that the call just wouldve been a phone screening probably, which means the hiring process would just take too long for me in my current situation. They called at the worst time! However I am really happy to be going to the school I will be at. This was really a good problem to have honestly. For the past 3 years my problem was actually finding a classrom teaching job. So really it's no big deal to me! Although my old school is 3 minutes away WALKING distance. Haha oh well. I will need the 15 minute drive from the school I will be at to home to decompress.