your youngest student

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by geoCAD, Aug 22, 2007.

1. geoCAD

geoCAD Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I just wanted to know a little about how well your youngest students are doing so far this year and in past years. Are/were they boys or girls? What is your opinion about how well they adapted to the class. And lastly, what is your opinion on Kindergarten readiness exams? Did your students do well or were they just too young and immature to handle kindergarten even though they tested into Kindergarten?

Thanks!

~G

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 22, 2007

In Maine they aren't tested into kindergarten. They just have to be five years old by October 15th. School hasn't started yet but my youngest birthday is a few days before the cut off.

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

Our cut off date is Sept. 1st. When our kids register for Kdg. we do give them a screening, but it is only so that we can fairly split the kids into 3 sections. As long as they are 5 before the cut off date we have to accept them. In my experience, girls that are very young seem to do better than the boys that are very young. We often recommend to parents that they consider holding their child out a year if they are close to the cut off date. Two years ago half of my class turned 6 by February. Last year was the opposite and it was alsmost May before I had half my class turning 6. I definitely preferrred the older group. They were more ready academically and emotionally to handle the demands of today's kindergarten. My young group was much more of a challenge to keep focused. They were very needy and just wanted to play. Unfortunately, I couldn't let them do that all day.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 22, 2007

I had one boy last year that missed the cut off by one day. He was academically above my other students, but his social behavior was a BIG problem. The other kids did not like to be around him and I had to spend a great deal of time with him. He even got sent home from school a few times because of his behavior. He also rolled around on the floor, would refuse to work and threw a fit when I told him he could not play or when it was time to clean up from free time.
    The preschool teacher told his parents that he would be bored there for another year, I think it would have been getter for him since he now has a distaste for school.

6. geoCAD

geoCAD Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Thanks to everyone so far for your answers. I'm asking about young kindergarten students because my son just missed the cutoff by 3 weeks. We know he's ready for the lessons but I was wondering more about what statistics might say about young kinders. He took the Brigants readiness exam and scored a 93%! He is already reading at 1st to 2nd grade level, sounding out multiple syllable words and spelling them, counting money (change up to $1), and so much more. Unfortunately, the teacher tried to keep any students from testing but the district said that he should at least get the chance. He's doing well even though he's the youngest in the class. Even though he's the youngest, he is one of the tallest.

Any additional info relating to how the youngest students do in class and in social gatherings is appreciated.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2007

Here in Calif. our cut off is Dec. 2nd.

8. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

In CT the cut-off is Dec. 31! A lot depends on maturity. One year I had a boy who didn't turn 5 until Dec. 31. He was the youngest of 5 children and the smallest child in the class. He graduated from college with a PHD in 4 years!
    Last year I had 2 students reading 1st & 2nd grade material. I took them for guided reading groups & they weren't bored at all. They really needed some of the basic skills, especially with writing sentences.
    Every child is unique. You have to decide what you truly feel will benefit him the most. I have NEVER met a parent that regretted waiting a year to send a child with a birthday close to the cut off.
    Good luck.

9. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 24, 2007

I'm in CA so our cutoff is 12/2. In my past experiences I have felt that the students should have waited a year and they would have been more ready socially for school. I think that is the biggest factor in determining readiness based on age. I know a lot of students who were capable academically but they just lacked the social skills needed for school and that was what made it difficult for them to enjoy it to their fullest. I do suggest to parents that if they have the choice to wait another year. Side note, my son is 3 and for similar reasons (socially) he is waiting another year even for preschool. Now academically he is comparable to my entering Kindergarten students and I believe that if he continues he will surpass them by next year when he starts pre-school. I will continue to encourage his exploration and developing his skills no matter what his age or school position is. I'm chosing to focus on his social skills for placement based on my past teaching experiences though. with that said I believe that a parent knows their child best and what is best fro one is not necessarily best for the other. As parents we have to watch ourselves and take caution in pushing too hard though, I believe that some of this pressure that begins at such an early age is what causes so many kids to resent school and not develop a true love of lifetime learning.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

That was me at this age. I had social issues, but certainly not academic. I could read the directions on all my papers, which led me to finish before everyone else- and cause distractions. Many felt I was Gifted (which was later looked into), though I had delays in using scissors and other issues like those.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2007

Our cutoff is 9/1 and I have a child this year born 8/31. School hasn't started for the PK/K kids yet, so I can't give you any info about him in particular, but you just have to consider each child. I've had kids born in May that could have used an extra year and kids born in August that were just fine, both academically and socially.

I've also heard that many studies say that once kids reach 3rd grade, you can't tell who is younger and who is older. Considering maturity, they all seem to "even out."
    Kim