Your worst school memory

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Rosieo, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2005

I think I am very cautious of what I say and do to the children in my classroom. I have a terrible memory of something that happened to me way back in kindergarten. And if I still vividly remember this then I don't want a child in my classroom having a bad memory for the rest of their life. When I was in kindergarten my teacher told us we could bring in a Christmas book and she would read it to the class. Well I didn't have any Christmas books so instead I brought in my favorite book. I explained to my teacher that was all I had and she said no way was she going to read it to the class. When the time came that day for her to read the books the other children brought in she made me sit in the bathroom because I brought in a book that wasn't what she asked for! I sat there on the floor and cried. Can you believe that!!!! How about anyone else...any bad memories or am I the only one.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 1, 2005

The first thing that I thought of for a "worst school memory" was something that happened about in fourth grade. (I don't even remember which teacher it was. I just remember the feelings I had.)

The teacher made an English assignment of writing a report on a movie that we had seem. I went up to the teacher's desk and told her that we did not go to movies. Our little Iowa town did not have a movie theater. People had to drive to Sioux City, about 30 miles away, to see a movie. So, the teacher said that I could do a report on a television show. Then I had to tell her that our television set had not worked in a long time. (We had lots of work to do out on the farm. For fun, we played outside, played with our pets, read books, played with our toys. We didn't care that we didn't have a tv. I don't remember missing the tv until that moment.)

Well, then the teacher got exasperated with me. She told me to just do a book report then. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal. But, I felt stupid - and poor, like we weren't as good as the other kids who went to the movies and had television sets that worked.

Rosieo - That was a truly horrible thing for that teacher to do to you! She must have been a hate-filled person to treat little kindergarten child like that. Maybe the only good thing about that situation is that it has made you a compassionate, loving, caring, gentle person.

4. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Oct 1, 2005

Rosieo,
    After reading about your worst memory, mine seems menial. I teach Kindergarten and can't ever imagine treating a child that way.

Anyway, the worst memory I have from school was my senior year of high school. My English teacher was mad because I was taking a college English course. She treated me so bad, and my mom finally confronted her about it and she replied "I am suppose to prepare her for college. She doesn't need to be taking that class now. She is too busy with her other class and not working in mine." This was so far from the truth. No matter what I did, she found fault with it. After my mom spoke with her my grades magically improved (she was giving me low grades because she was mad). I can't imagine trying to stifle someone when they wanted to learn, but she didn't care. I ended up with an A in my college class (and I think she a B in her class).

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2005

When I was in 3rd grade, I was really excited to present a puppet show I had spent weeks preparing for. The day before, I brought in all of my homemade props and puppets to the classroom for the next day. The next day came and I was horrified to find out the custodian had thrown all of it away. I was in tears for a long time. I can still picture the shelf on which my box was placed and seeing it empty the next day. Oh, it was bad. All that work......

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2005

When I was in third or fourth grade, we had a sub one day and took a timed multiplication test. I accidentally added all the problems instead of multiplying, and the teacher told the whole class that I'd failed. In front of everyone, she asked me what grades I usually got. After I said A's, she said "Well what do you think you got today?" and I told her an A, and she replied "No, you got a zero." I was humiliated!

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2005

Why are people like that in classrooms??????????????????????

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2005

I have several. School was not a good place for me. I was too perceptive and too tender hearted to be in a place with so many people who could care less about a little girl.I remember all of my teachers vividly as though it was yesterday.
    Anyway, I had some sort of a mental block about telling time. I was in 4th. grade and teacher, Mrs. Rowe shamed me in front of the class. I can still see her black granny type shoes and she always wore dresses that fell just below her knees. She had gray hair that she wore in a bun. The day she said, "shame on you," I was crying in my desk and accidentally knocked my crayons onto the floor. My best girlfriend came to help me pick them up and Mrs. Rowe told her not to.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 1, 2005

These stories seem unreal. I can honestly say that I do not have any terrible school memories like those..thank goodness!
    The sad thing is, though, there are still people like that in classrooms now.

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 1, 2005

In fourth grade, my teacher found my stash of little 'poetry books' that I liked to make and illustrate; they were all my own original work, and honestly it was the only thing that kept me sane in that boring babyish atmosphere. She cut them up with scissors and told me I was a liar for claiming to have written them. Then she made me copy poems out of a book till she was satisfied that "I'd learned my lesson about copying other people's poems." I was so mortified and beaten down, it was several years before I would write any of my own poems down again for fear of being accused of stealing them.

When my mother (who is still frightened of teachers because she was a shy backward little girl and they were very poor) went to school and asked the teacher why I came home night after night dead silent and just sat on my bed looking out the window, she told mom that was how guilty people acted when their lies and deceit were discovered. It was the first time my quiet mother spoke her mind. It did no good, though. For the rest of fourth grade, the teacher made me do all my work in class so I wouldn't have a chance to copy it.

Man, I hated grade school.

11. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2005

That is TERRIBLE! Jane I hope that you are still writing those poems.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 1, 2005

Jane, that's horrible. Can you imagine doing that to a student? Geez, if I found that a fourth grader was writing and illustrating his/her own 'poetry books' I'd be thrilled! I mean, even if I suspected that the poems may possibly be copied, I'd be happy that the child was showing an interest in poetry!

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2005

My worst memory was in second or third grade...........it was so embarrassing and humiliating, I stayed home from school for two days, rather then die of humilation! I sang in the choir, and we were going to be singing at church after school. Well, about five minutes before we headed over to church, I had to go to the bathroom, extremely bad...........I thought I'd pop. Now, my teacher was one who said if you didn't have to go at recess (which had been about an hour and a half before that,) then don't complain that you need to go now. Well, I did, and he didn't let me go. Needless to say, we trudged over to church, and I couldn't hold it any longer and wet my pants........I could have just cried! I was never so embarrassed in my life! Now, I will never say no to a child if it is an emergency, I couldn't bare to have them face the same humiliation as I endured that day! I am still mad at that teacher to this day!

14. jcg

jcg Cohort

Oct 1, 2005

I went to a Catholic school in first and second grade. In first, I talked a lot and Sister Sheila made me stand by desk for the whole day to learn not to talk to others. I still remember how tired I was and how much it hurt my legs.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 1, 2005

I don't even have to think as to what my worst school memory is, in 2nd grade, Mrs. Crooks was my teacher (the only teacher I truly hated). She was miserable and hateful to us. My grandfather passed away that year. We were really close (and I was 7). I missed a couple of days then came back. We were just starting reading when I started to cry. One of my friends came over to hug me. She got detention and Mrs. Crooks called me a cry-baby. She told me that I had to get over it and stop crying. I was miserable. It was a horrible year.

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2005

I remember the days of corporal punishment and my fifth grade teacher Mr. Buettner, taking the boy in our class who struggled the most and never finished his homework into the room next door with the yardstick. We could hear the whacks, and when they came back to the room, the yardstick was broken. Too this day, I still feel bad for that little boy.....I can't imagine how he feels about teachers today. I know he came from a broken home and was quite poor. I will just always remember the sound of that yardstick hitting his bottom! WHACK! :eek: I don't care what anyone does, NO child deserves that!

17. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Oct 1, 2005

I don't have anything that even comes close to these....but I do remember on a spelling test, when asked to use the word in a sentence, I wrote a sentence about Johnny....and when I got the test back, my teacher had changed it to Jon (there was a Jon in the class).....I have no idea why......and it frosts my cookies to this day.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2005

In 5th grade I had only been in that school system a few months. My dad died three years before and suddenly we had to move to a different state. I might have been 11 or 12.
    I was an overweight kid, didn't wear the right clothes and didn't have the feathery hairstyle all the girls were wearing.
    My 5th grade science teacher was an absolute b----. She gave me the one small desk in the room and I couldn't even sit close enough to write without bending forward.
    One week we were doing health. She was talking about hygiene and appearance, and said how we should keep our hair clean and well styled. Some kid yelled out 'Yeah, Becky should!'
    She started talking about nutrition, and said we should maintain a sensible weight through diet and exercise. Again this kid yells 'Yeah, Becky definitely should!'
    I was so ashamed, and she never missed a beat. She didn't stop this moron or say a word to me.
    I hated that place so much I hooked school for three weeks straight, and even after I got caught and explained why I did it, nothing was done to stop this kid.
    Gym and showers was another source of torment. I refused to shower, and the gym teacher actually held the class one day until I undressed, showered, dried off, and redressed.
    Ugh!

19. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Oct 2, 2005

6th grade...my very favorite teacher, of all people, made a weight comment about me. I was crossing the monkey bars on the playground, slipped and fell off, and he said, "Did you feel the earth shake?" I wasn't that heavy, but it really hurt my feelings. He had made another comment about another girl's weight, too, that I remember. Keep in mind, this was 1976, before being PC had come into play, but still... Funny thing is, he is still one of my favorite teachers. I even got to sub in his class one day a couple of years ago. The kids still love him. Guess he made more good impressions on me than he did bad.

20. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 2, 2005

I am so lucky I made it through elementary school with good teachers. I can't believe the horror stories!!!

My worst memory is actually in college! I had an absolutely dreadful professor. Her name was Dr. Bitner, and I have to admit added the 'ch' to it in my mind.

It was my first elementary teaching methods course, so I was both excited and nervous about it. We had a project to write a "hands-on, minds-on" science unit. I spent hours upon hours putting together a unit on Plants. (I always over-did everything!!) There was nothing wrong with the activities, but I hadn't done the format exactly like she wanted and I got a D! It was probably the first D I'd ever gotten in anything. I asked if I could re-do the unit, and she said yes, but even though I fixed everything, she left the grade at a D. It was our only project except for one test. I spent the whole semester trying to make up for it, even doing a full day of science fair judging more than over an hour's drive away to get bonus points. In the end, I had an 89, so I still got a B in the class!!

Anyway, the worst memory was one day when she was talking to us about a science project that the kids in the community do. I am an auditory learner so I do not have to write much down. My brain is like a tape recorder... I listen and I remember. Anyway, I was listening intently (even looking directly at her) when she burst out at me, "AMANDA - Pay attention! Write this down!" I was so embarassed. After class, the people who were sitting behind me said they thought I had been asleep, based on the way she yelled at me.

After that class was over I actually took a break from my teaching courses and seriously thought about switching my major. Thank goodness I decided to continue with my dream of teaching the next semester.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2005

I can relate to kinderkids' yardstick story. When I was in Grade 8 we had an old-school tyrant for English. He was a stickler for detail (down to the "correct" size for a period as the end of a sentence). He walked around the classroom with a yardstick and brought it down hard onto anyone's desk who he felt was not paying attention or wasn't working up to his standards. That yardstick slamming onto the desk was enough to make everyone sit up straight and pay attention! One day, however, the class clown said the wrong thing at the wrong time and the yardstick came down, not on his desk but on the side of his neck! It's interesting, but I don't remember anything else about the incident except for the stunned silence that filled the room and the boy calmly getting up and walking out of the classroom. Don't know what happened to the teacher that day, but he did retire at the end of the year.

22. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2005

I remember a principal, middle school, who would yank kids up by the arm and shove them into a wall if he caught them doing something.

Now he leads a jail ministry and helps inmates earn their GED

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 2, 2005

Becky, that's probably where that principal belongs...dealing with criminals, not children.

24. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2005

As a teacher, I can understand this story of my childhood a little better, but it made me so sad as a five year old.
    We were learning our colors, and every week we were supposed to bring in something from home that was the color we were learning about and glue it on a sheet of butcher paper. I had a purple toothbrush, and I saved it for weeks waiting to take it to school. I was so excited! The day finally came and I had the toothbrush in my cubby, and I was pulled out of class for some testing (g&t or something like it). By the time I was done, the class had already made their color collage and hung it up on the wall, so I couldn't add my toothbrush. I cried, I was so sad!

Not as bad as some of the other stories...

25. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Oct 2, 2005

Thank goodness that my stories are nothing like these! I can't imagine how you guys felt. These are just awful!

When I was in 2nd grade, I had a horrible teacher. She was VERY strict and mean. I will never forget our Christmas party. We didn't do any crafts or decorate a tree for it. During the party, we had to sit in our desks (in rows), and raise our hands if we needed something. If we talked, she would throw our plate away. I remember how horrible it felt hearing the other classes having fun while we had to sit in total silence and have our party.

When I was in 5th grade, I remember having a horrible experience. However, I cannot remember what I did. I was a typical "nerd" in school. I did my work quietly and always did what the teacher said. I never got in trouble. This teacher didn't like me, I think for the sole reason that I was a "good" kid. I don't remember what I did, but she yelled at me in front of the class and made me sit out in the hall and write sentences. I think I was reading a book at my desk because I was finished, and she didn't think that I had had time to finish my work. I will never forget how embarrassed I felt. I cannot imaging screaming at a child in front of the whole class. Now, if I have a problem with something that a child does, we go out in the hall and talk about it in private. I will never embarrass a child for the sole reason of how I felt when I was in 5th grade.

26. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2005

I had a high school teacher who made fun of my hair style in front of the class. He told me I looked like a rooster. Oh, Mr. Lukich, how little you knew how much I knew about you but didn't say a word.

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2005

lve2tch,
    You didn't have a mohawk, did you? LOL! :D

28. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2005

Ok, Kinderkids- I admit, I was a little on the "cutting edge" during my high school years! I had one side buzzed and the other not. How did you guess!?! Sure, I brought it on myself, but I knew something about the teacher and he was in no place to make fun of differences....

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2005

My high school choir teacher knew my dad and they didn't like each other. Well, the teacher was very mean to me. One day he announced that we all had to wear dresses to our out of town performance and I made a face of disappointment. He banned me from going and kicked me out of his class and as I was leaving he said in front of the whole choir, "There she goes...Miss Smart Aleck of the Year." I hated him so much and later found out he got in trouble and ended up on jail for what he did. I knew he was no good.

30. JAMIE

JAMIE Rookie

Oct 2, 2005

i went to private school 90% of my life and in 6th and 7th grade, i had terrible acne, really puffy and thick hair, and braces with huge gums hanging over them lol. well my school went from preschool to 8th grade and we had strict rules with dress code uncluding that girls could not wear a drop of makeup. now when you are a girl with super low self esteem and a pizza face, you just want to cover them up. i remember buying the cheapest foundation and powder i could and POUNDED that crap all over my face. i never thought people knew that i was wearing makeup lol. i wish my mom was a makeup wearer so that she could give me pointers but she wasnt. anways, i went from being the ugly girl with bad skin to being the ugly girl who wore too much makeup. boys would basically make me feel awckward by saying things like "why do you wear so much makeup?" "you look like you are wearing a mask". now how the hell was i supposed to answer to these boys? i dont even remember what i said but i would always cry in the bathroom and run home crying. i never told my parents about that because it hurt so much that i didnt want to think about it. oh and to make matters worse, one of my teachers who also covered her face would tell me like "i know you wear cover up because of your condition but you arent allowed to wear eyeshadow at school". lol condition. just tell me i have bad skin!

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2005

Just a guess......I remember kids with mohawks in my school. And I agree, the teacher had no place to say that! So, were you into punk? I loved it in college! LOL!

32. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Oct 2, 2005

I had a teacher give me swats for not having homework...
    Not so bad really except I had been at a different district the day before and didn't KNOW there was homework!

33. HMD

HMD Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

I have two that stand out as being bad.

The first one happened when I was in fourth or fifth grade. I was always a good student but I was also disorganized and somewhat sensitive and prone to daydreams. So needless to say, I never had a tidy desk. My teacher would constantly harp on me about my desk. I think I gave it my best effort but didn't know how to do it right nor was on task enough to maintain it. There was one teacher in the building known for dumping messy desks and that was the threat held over our heads. So finally she got fed up with my messy deks and called the desk dumping teacher to our room. Well, he picked my desk up and flung the contents everywhere. I had to scramble around on the floor under people's desks and everything to pick up all my stuff. It was SO humiliating! I just wish she had tried to figure out why I had such a hard time getting organized and maybe taught me- even over recess if need be- rather than totally embarass me to teach me a lesson.

The second one happened in sixth grade. We had read a really good piece in the Scholastic Reader or some other school paper about the environment and ozone layer. And the article was about some kids who had formed a group to protest and ban styrofoam/aerosol, etc. to protect the ozone layer. So I instantly wanted to so the same thing. Being shy, I didn't want to suggest it myself so I got my best friend to join me to approach the teacher. He thought it was a great idea and things got started. We started with posters and making changes at our own homes and were attempting to broaden our efforts when at a meeting, a girl piped up saying she thought we needed different leaders. So my friend and I sat there, watching as all the kids voted in leaders (we had been running it but we had never used titles or anything) and they were certainly not us two but the popular kids. My teacher just sat there and didn't say a word as our group was taken over. It disbanded within a month (my friend and I quit after the voting). To see that people cared less about making a difference than they did being in charge hurt me, and it really hurt when the teacher didn't step in and mediate.

Of course, I don't teach yet so maybe the teachers were acting appropriate in both these cases. But it hurt me at the time!

34. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Mine I'm about to mention isn't my worst, but it's the first thing that popped into my head. The first day of 7th grade...new school...new friends. I happend to be wearing a skirt and I slid down the hallway on my butt after I tripped, landed with my feet up in the air with my skirt over my head. It was very embarrassing to say the least.

35. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 3, 2005

I was the "over weight kid" at my schools too. a slow runner and when they had those state tests, the one where you had to see how many sit ups and chin ups and how far you could climb a rope I couldn't do them very well. (I went to ten schools by the time I graduated high school :( ) I also remember the one day in 7th grade at lunch, I was wearing white pants..... and got my period!! :eek: And another story, when I was in the 6th grade the teacher would use a yard stick to get the attention of students, she would wack the desk right next to their hands to get their attention, she did it to me one day, and I told my mom, and furriated she called the teacher, and low and behold the teacher didn't do that any more. I have lots of bad school stories.

36. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

Speaking of, my brother was overweight too. A teacher he had asked him to come up to the board and write something...I believe 5th grade. He was given a choice and chose not to. The teacher replied "if there was food up here I bet you would". I could not believe it. Why would a teacher say something like that to a child? Everytime I see an overweight child being teased or is unhappy, I think of my brother and it makes me sad.

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I hate teasing...even within one's own family...I HATE it and every parent beware of the damage you are doing when you tease your kids...the hurt is very deep. Be careful what you say at all times to anyone...and be held accountable for the words that come out of your mouth to your kids.

38. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

The saying sticks and stones should really read as this: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can REALLY hurt me!!! I agree grammy, more damage to kids has been done by words alone then by physical harm.

39. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 3, 2005

"Sticks and stones may indeed break bones, but words can break a heart."

That was on the wall above my blackboard for 26 years.

40. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Oct 3, 2005

Oh, I agree 100%!!!!!

41. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2005

I was "New Wave" :rolleyes: Oh, to be young again.... It was a milder form of Punk. I listened to New Order, The Cure, etc. I got out of it at the end of 11th grade because I didn't want to be classified as Goth (oh yes,even back in the 80's)...I loved the fact that my parents allowed me to use that as a form of expression. It was a way to be rebellious without doing drugs and all that... Isn't it fun the stages we go through? Even as adults. What a journey!!! :p