Your views?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Feb 11, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

3. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 11, 2009

When I think of the people I know to whom this statement would apply, I totally agree with what the author said.

I always hated Valentine's Day. My younger sister always had boyfriends and I didn't have a boyfriend until college (ended up marrying the guy :D). She'd obsess over Valentine's Day and rub it in my face that she had plans and received gifts from guys. My parents usually took pity on me and bought me gifts. They also somehow got the cat to give me a card and money. :lol: For as long as DH and I have been together, we never made a big deal out of Valentine's Day.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2009

That was very sweet of the cat, lilmiss. :D

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 11, 2009

Eh, I disagree. I love Valentine's day. I love the cheery red and the chocolates and thinking of something special for dh. We went to the Melting Pot last night and spent 2.5 hours just eating and talking and being lovey. Yes, we do that all year. But it was really nice and special and I'll say it-I loved it. I loved the roses he got me. And the little peace necklace that came with them. So boo to this article.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 11, 2009

Amen to this article! I've always been single on V-day, and it's always been a bit of a bummer, but this year I am happy to be single and drama free. :) But if I ever am not single, I still will be against v-day for all of the reasons in that article!

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 11, 2009

Oh my, I guess we should do away with Mother's Day and Father's Day too???

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009

Well I agree with the article

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

I always put value on it until current bf. He is so anti any holiday. He hates buying gifts on a certain day. He hates feeling obligated to buy. I agree somewhat now...he does buy things during the year...and we go out a lot...so that kind of stuff is not all that special on v-day.
    I'd still probably get sad when all my coworkers get flowers or something...but unfortunately...romance has all but faded for me :(
    I don't like love songs...and I really don't like anti-love songs.

10. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 12, 2009

I know! :D Although, the last card she sent me-- I had just started grad school-- didn't have any money in it. I called her on it, through my parents (who did send me a card and a nice little check :wub:), and I guess being called a cheap cat hurt her enough that she hasn't sent me a card since. :p

Hrm... I sound like I'm off my rocker.

To clarify, I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying a nice night out, nice gifts, etc. on Valentine's Day. However, I know women (including my sister) who make a HUGE deal over it. They make it out to be the most important day ever, and if their SO's don't do things *perfectly* then their lives are ruined and obviously they aren't loved enough.

11. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

Valentine's Day has never been a big deal to me one way or the other. My husband is loving, kind, attentive, etc. everyday of the year. We go out to dinner every Saturday night. My birthday is right before VD, so I don't expect MORE flowers, gifts, on the 14th. I agree that some people just go crazy over it, like just trying to outdo each other--that their Sig.Other loves them more. It just gets out of hand with some people.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 12, 2009

I tell my husband every year not to get me a Vday card or candy. We can get some half price candy the next day :lol: We used to go out for dinner but it's always so crowded. I will probably just make a nice dinner at home and go to the bakery and get a special cake that he likes. When we were dating the flowers, dinner and candy were great but now I just want to stay out of all the madness.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

Well, I must be right off there with you lilmiss since I'm the one who said the cat was sweet....but it does sound like you hurt her feelings. Can you apologize? :lol:

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2009

I think this guy went a little too far in the sentiment.

First of all, Vday DOES have religious event associated with it - it is called ST. Valentine's Day (I am not saying that is relevant anymore, but just arguing his point.) He also says it was created by retailers, which is therefore also not true, although they may contribute to making it seem a little more important.

I also think that if you are not materialistic and shallow and can't believe that a woman you would date would be outraged if you didn't send her the "right" flowers, then the answer here is clear - break up with her. That's a problem with your relationship, not a holiday.

I am not opposed to a holiday that celebrates relationships and love. It the materialism bothers you, find a way to celebrate it without it. My boyfriend and I buy each other the corniest VDay present we can find (usually something tacky from the grocery or drug store) and we will cook dinner in, or this year we might drive to Philly for cheesesteaks that we will eat in the car. I LOVE getting my silly corny gift and never think "Gee I wish I had a dozen red roses." I know he has to put some thought into searching for just the right tacky gift, which is much better than him just picking the first cliche thing all his buddies are getting their girlfriends.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 12, 2009

I LOVE your tacky gift idea. Maybe I'll steal it for the future... lol

16. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

I like the tacky gift thing too! LOL!

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 12, 2009