Your View on the Octuplets Story

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 3, 2009

I can see having a lot of kids if they are spread out. That's completely different. My mom had 4 brothers, and they turned out great. Sometimes I wish dh wanted several. But at one time? That's tough on everyone, especially the babies.

2. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 3, 2009

Or, if she had a problem disposing with embryos, she could have donated them to another couple. Not everyone would do this, but it is an option, and a viable one, compared with rearing 14 children alone.

No, they had one set of twins with fertility help, then wanted one more, and all 6 implanted embryos ended up...taking?...whatever you call it. They could have reduced, but their religion prevented them from doing that.

To me, the most disturbing part of this is that IVF is getting a huge black eye. It is a procedure that has helped countless couples conceive a child, where they would not have been able to normally. About 20%-40% of IVF's result in multiples, but I would assume that a much smaller percentage result in multiples more than 3? Or 4? (According to Wikipedia, it is Twins 1:80, Triplets 1:80² = 1:6400, N-tuplets 1:80^N-1) Certainly not all IVF's turn out this way...

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 3, 2009

"The California woman who recently gave birth to octuplets is not overwhelmed and is looking forward to telling her story, her spokeswoman said today."

Uh, yeah. Because the taxpayers are still footing the bill while the hospital staff takes care of all her kids for her.

4. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 3, 2009

I know exactly how you feel.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2009

How easy is it to sell your eggs??? I'll jump on that like a big dog.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 3, 2009

EGGS FOR SALE!! OVER HERE :lol:

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2009

You have to go through a number of hoops, and I believe it involves some surgery (but pays pretty well).

You can sell sperm, but you get a lot less -- $50 a shot -- and you still have to go through hoops. You can do that once a week, though, provided you forego certain activities.

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2009

Unfair gametes should be equal !
    and men give more!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2009

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2009

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2009

I got some eggs for sell!!!! :lol:

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2009

http://www.answers.com/topic/sperm-donation
    Payment

The majority of sperm donors who donate their sperm through a sperm bank receive some kind of payment. This varies from the situation in the United Kingdom where donors are only entitled to their expenses in connection with the donation, to the situation with some US sperm banks where a donor receives a set fee for each donation plus an additional amount for each vial stored. Whilst the amounts concerned in each case are not excessive, some donors are known to donate to more than one sperm bank every week and they are thus able to secure a reasonable monthly income.

I wonder what the W2 looks like

13. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 3, 2009

I just heard that production companies that work with TLC have already made offers to Suleman’s family [for an on-air reality show], but the network is waiting to see how TV-friendly the family is.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 3, 2009

Oh no, I hope she doesn't get a show or any other media attn where she'll get paid. She needs to struggle & make it work for herself. Hey, she got herself into this mess!

15. Suburban Gal

Feb 3, 2009

I totally agree, which is why companies are not exactly rushing to get publicity by piling on the freebies. Companies like Proctor & Gamble, Gerber, etc... are staying away are more turned off by it than anything else. In fact, Gerber said that if they were planning to do something for the family, it probably would have done it already, and that the octuplets’ birth wasn't on their radar. Proctor & Gamble said they don't actively seek out parents to sponsor, but said she was welcome to ask for what is typically provided in multiple births: a jumbo pack of diapers for each child, baby wipes, and coupons for discounts. However, it wouldn't really benefit the octuplet motehr anyhow, as it wouldn't last more than a week.

Conservative radio talk show host Bill Handel in Los Angeles, who has branded the births “freakish,” said on the air Tuesday that people are ready to boycott any corporations that help the octuplets or their mother.

But despite that, some support has come in from nurses and some [local] baby stores have stepped forward to volunteer their support. So far, the only major company that even botehred with this was some major disposable diaper company. Apparently, they've already sent her some diapers.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2009

I hope they don't give her a show. I won't watch it. I admit, I love Jon and Kate. But, not everyone gets a show. Look at Little People Big World, does every family with dwarf parents get a show? No! So everyone with an exorbitant amount of children should not get a show, either :mad:

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 3, 2009

Hmm. As bone-headed as the mother might be, no innocent child deserves to be associated with "freakish"-ness.

These poor babies (along with their 6 siblings) have to manage to get along in this world with a moron mother, absent father(s), and grandparents who would rather jump ship than parent their own daughter and support their grandbabies.

They didn't ask for this.

18. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 3, 2009

That's the problem.... these kiddo's didn't ask for the situation they are in. They were born into it. I very much so disagree with everything that has happened thus far, however we do still have 8 babies here that didn't ask to be brought into this world.

What is the right thing to do with them?
    Some parts of me think that due to the fact that the mother is depending on government support, that she should be forced to either do foster homes or put them up for adoption.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 3, 2009

While I agree that these poor, innocent kids didn't ask to be born into this situation, I think more people are thinking that it's not THEIR responsibility to pay for this lady's mistake & stupidity. Everyone's got their own problems.

20. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2009

Heck, I couldn't afford IVF for myself, yet now I'm expected to pay for someone else's children who were conceived that way? And she has no visual means of support? Makes me mad...

21. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2009

I saw on the news this morning that many companies are not donating to her because had six children previously.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 4, 2009

Good for those companies.

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

There is the rub how do we "punish" the mom without punishing the children?

24. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Feb 4, 2009

exactly. man even taking the children away from her would be bad because then they would be growing up without their siblings. :(

i can't believe this woman would be so stupid. maybe she did it for handouts? or she could be a reality tv wanna-be that thought this was the only way to get a show. ugh, those poor, poor babies

:(

25. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

Depends on the purpose of the punishment, doesn't it?

Moreover, it's not a crime to have children. Actually punishing her has very serious ramifications.

I think what we want is "refrain from reward". We might more correctly consider punishing companies who seek publicity by donating to these sorts of families, or punishing journalists who cause these people to rise to prominence in the first place.

That, of course, has it's own thorny issues. There isn't really an easy answer.

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2009

I think if there is to be a punishment, this fertility clinic should be at the top of the list. How could they have possibly been so reckless? They need to be held accountable for their actions as well.

27. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

We have no right to punish the mother. Technically she did nothing illegal, however in our opinions she did something so very morally wrong.

I agree that as a society we can show that we will not support her by not purchasing or reading any publication or product created by this hoopla.

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 4, 2009

I was in Pilates this morning, and we were doing some move that put a lot of weight on our arms. The instructor said something about her one arm being stronger because of her child, and then someone said that's why you should have twins, and then the conversation changed to having EIGHT kids. Hahhaha-everyone was chiming in with their gossip and I thought of you guys.

29. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 4, 2009

when i was pregnant with my (now) 6 year old i was the MOST miserable person around! The thought of doing it one more time would reduce me to tears...Taylor was worth it and all that...but it wasnt my favorite time in the whole world...
    so i cant imagine doing this 5 times with 'normal' births, once with twins and then again with 8 little people all wandering around inside your body!?!?!?!?!?
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!
    :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

dont get me wrong...mommyhood is great 99% of the time...but for me preggy body wasnt fun! just the idea of that many times...*whew*

30. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

I don't understand why providing for the kids is such a big deal... She sold her eggs to have them, let her sell the rest (ALL of them, please!) to care for them!

31. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

I'm really not sure I'm comfortable with her genes being particularly widespread.

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 4, 2009

:spitwater: :toofunny: :rofl:

33. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

:agreed:

34. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 4, 2009

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about the babies' daddy? I heard there was one for all 14.
    BUT what is HE like?

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

NOT Daddy DONOR

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2009

Those who'd already bought from her might just have second thoughts, no?

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2009

Or would that be egging 3Sons on?

38. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

Ugh, you have such a fertile mind for puns.

39. Suburban Gal

Feb 4, 2009

I thought when people donated eggs and sperm they signed some kind of form that basically says they relinquish any and all parental rights.

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2009

I've been known to labor at it, yet. And some people prefer to give me a wide... birth... on account of it.