Your View on the Octuplets Story

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 31, 2009

Then this makes her even more stupid to have all these kids! :mad: Plus, w/ someone w/ such a warped way of thinking, I wouldn't trust her to be a good mother anyway.

2. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Well, kudos to her for breastfeeding. And I imagine it is possible. Our bodies are pretty amazing. And even if she ends up supplementing, I still think it's great.

It seems like maybe she is trying to stay out of the media, and I respect her for that.

And I still think it was incredibly irresponsible of the doctors to make all of this possible for her.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

It is 1000% irresponsible of HER to do this. Besides putting the burden on everyone else to raise the kids, what kind of LIFE do you think these kids will have with her as a mother? There could be some kind of mental instability there.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

[​IMG]
    CBS News reported Friday that the mother of eight newborns, who already had six children, filed for bankruptcy and abandoned her home less than two years ago. She hasn't been identified publicly yet, though CBS News described her as a woman in her 30s who lives with her parents.....
    .......Britain's Sun newspaper reported that the mother works in a fertility clinic. The grandmother said she had multiple embryos implanted last year and declined to abort any of them.
    The hospital, Kaiser Permanente in Bellflower, Calif., did not release the mother's name, but the Sun, without citing sources, identified her as 33-year-old Nadya Suleman. She does not appear to have a husband......
    .......the expense of raising 14 children will likely be prohibitive, citing studies that estimate it costs roughly $2.5 million to raise a child to adulthood. Using that math, raising 14 children would cost roughly $35 million.​

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

35 million?? We all better get a 2nd job to help out!!!:unsure:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

Oh, thank God she lives in Britain- someone here might be tempted to roll her into the economic stimulus package...:eek:

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

[​IMG]
    ........Angela Suleman (grandmother) is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

....."Instead of becoming a kindergarten teacher or something, she started having them, but not the normal way," her mother said.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    :banghead:

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

EEEK- I should have read more closely...disgraceful. They'll probably end up in foster care.
    ...oh, and yeah, she seems like she'd be the type of kindergarten teacher that all school districts are clamoring to hire, right? EEK! How insulting.

9. eightlgddj

eightlgddj Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

From the latest news, it is learned that:

- She is single, never been married
    - There is not and has never been a "father," she had a sperm donor
    - She had in vitro fertilization for all 6 of her previous kids as well. She is unable to conceive naturally because of an issue with her fallopian tubes.
    - apparently she had embryos frozen earlier, and used the last 6 of them with this pregnancy (2 of them apparently split after implantation)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/01/29/state/n182758S26.DTL&type=newsbayarea

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

So I wasted all those years in college to become a teacher when all I had to do was give birth to a few sets of muliples??? Silly me.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

How did she pay for this IVF??

12. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

It was said on good morning America that she WAS married but he is not the father to any of the children. There's a lot of back and forth on this story.

13. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 31, 2009

That's what I was wondering, but apparently she worked in the fertility clinic. Maybe she got a nice discount or got it for free.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2009

I read in one article she had to go out of the country to get it done. No one here would do it for her (if I remember right, it was due to the number of kids she already has).

But, that could be made up, too, since NOTHING seems to match up in this story :dunno:

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

That clinic should be shut down! Or, maybe they can help support the children since they have been so helpful in bringing them into this world.

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

What makes me really sad is the thought that, years from now, these dear children will know about the controversy that surrounded their birth.

Those who have met the mother talk about how strong and loving she is. I pray that she will have the strength to provide the life that these innocent children deserve.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

On the news this morning, they said that it would be illegal in Europe to perform this IVF because of the number of prior children and the number of implanted fetuses. Yes, all life is precious, but to deliberately subject 8 little lives to such danger (before and after birth) is surely highly irresponsible.

Does anyone think she might have been planning to sell the children?

19. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

This story makes me sick to my stomach. Some people are just so selfish. Get a clue lady, your an idiot

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

hmmmmmmm from the reports she [-]loves/wants/[/-]needs children

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

Here is her shirt
    [​IMG]

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2009

Oh my gosh, this statement is soooo hilarious but is sort of true! (The whole contraceptive part of the stimulus package that was finally removed). :spitwater:

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

24. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

LOS ANGELES – The woman who gave birth to octuplets this week conceived all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization, is not married and has been obsessed with having children since she was a teenager, her mother said.

Angela Suleman told The Associated Press she was not supportive when her daughter, Nadya Suleman, decided to have more embryos implanted last year.

"It can't go on any longer," she said in a phone interview Friday. "She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way. I firmly believe in marriage. But she didn't want to get married."

Nadya Suleman, 33, gave birth Monday in nearby Bellflower. She was expected to remain in the hospital for at least a few more days, and her newborns for at least a month.

A spokeswoman at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center said the babies were doing well and seven were breathing unassisted.

While her daughter recovers, Angela Suleman is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."

Angela Suleman said her daughter always had trouble conceiving and underwent in vitro fertilization treatments because her fallopian tubes are "plugged up."

There were frozen embryos left over after her previous pregnancies and her daughter didn't want them destroyed, so she decided to have more children.

Her mother and doctors have said the woman was told she had the option to abort some of the embryos and, later, the fetuses. She refused.

Her mother said she does not believe her daughter will have any more children.

"She doesn't have any more (frozen embryos), so it's over now," she said. "It has to be."

Nadya Suleman wanted to have children since she was a teenager, "but luckily she couldn't," her mother said.

"Instead of becoming a kindergarten teacher or something, she started having them, but not the normal way," he mother said. :eek:

Her daughter's obsession with children caused Angela Suleman considerable stress, so she sought help from a psychologist, who told her to order her daughter out of the house.

"Maybe she wouldn't have had so many kids then, but she is a grown woman," Angela Suleman said. "I feel responsible and I didn't want to throw her out."

Yolanda Garcia, 49, of Whittier, said she helped care for Nadya Suleman's autistic son three years ago.

"From what I could tell back then, she was pretty happy with herself, saying she liked having kids and she wanted 12 kids in all," Garcia told the Long Beach Press-Telegram.

"She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school at the same time?"' she added. "And she said it's because she got paid for it." :eek: WHAT?????

Garcia said she did not ask for details.

Nadya Suleman holds a 2006 degree in child and adolescent development from California State University, Fullerton, and as late as last spring she was studying for a master's degree in counseling, college spokeswoman Paula Selleck told the Press-Telegram.

Her fertility doctor has not been identified. Her mother told the Los Angeles Times all the children came from the same sperm donor but she declined to identify him.

Birth certificates reviewed by The Associated Press identify a David Solomon as the father for the four oldest children. Certificates for the other children were not immediately available.

The news that the octuplets' mother already had six children sparked an ethical debate. Some medical experts were disturbed to hear that she was offered fertility treatment, and troubled by the possibility that she was implanted with so many embryos.

Others worried that she would be overwhelmed trying to raise so many children and would end up relying on public support.

The eight babies — six boys and two girls — were delivered by Cesarean section weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces and 3 pounds, 4 ounces. Forty-six physicians and staff assisted in the deliveries.

THOSE POOR BABYS :(, The woman needs serious help!

Collapse ArticleTurn OFF Expand/Collapse ArticleCollapse Article

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

And crazy cat ladies with hundreds of cats love/want/need them too...don't make it right....:eek:

Substitute 'kids' for 'animals' in the following:"Animal hoarding involves keeping higher than usual numbers of animals as pets without having the ability to properly house or care for them, while at the same time denying this inability. Compulsive hoarding can be characterized as a symptom of obsessive-compulsive disorder rather than deliberate cruelty towards animals. Hoarders are deeply attached to their pets, and find it extremely difficult to let the pets go. They typically cannot comprehend that they are harming their pets by failing to provide them with proper care. Hoarders tend to believe that they provide the right amount of care for their pets."

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

:lol:
    Sorry, that just made me laugh. It's so true though. I agree with you 100 percent.

27. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

You need to have a liscence to have more than 3 dogs but it's ok to have a million children and have us pay for them. Ugh!!

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

Maybe there should be a license to breed :blush:

29. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

It would solve a lot of problems that we have now in society.

30. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

There are so many unfit parents out there that I've had to stop caring. It's too heartbreaking and frustrating. Hopefully as a teacher I'll be able to make a small difference in the lives of children from unfit families.

czacza: Interesting info about hoarding. I'm an apartment manager and we had a cat-lady (but with squirrels). It got so bad that we were on the brink of calling the county, but she passed away before we had to make that decision.

31. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Wow! This whole thing is amazing.

I also find it interesting that a day care center here may only have 4 infants to 1 adult, but now she's got 8 infants to care for on her own. I wonder if children's protective services will step in. ;)

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 31, 2009

My mom, who listens to talk radio said that the sperm donor, who's married BTW, is the same donor of her other 6 kids. This situation is getting crazier by the minute!

33. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

I feel bad becuase I was really hoping that the media was getting this all wrong and that she was being misunderstood. But the more information that comes out seems to be true that she is a little off her rocker shall we say~!

34. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Man! Nothing like a LITTER of KIDS!?!:D On top of that get all kinds of attention & CRITISICISM, AND...

I HOPE SHE WILL DECIDE OR THE FERTILE GROUP THAT DID IT; TALK HER INTO PUTTING SOME OF THEM UP FOR ADOPTION BY SOME POOR WOMEN WHO CAN'T HAVE BABIES AT ALL. I can't see couples though, in their right minds, who would like to adopt from this lady and the FERTILE:eek: DORKS that talked her into doing it.
    What next?
    Rebel1

35. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

I am geting more nauscious by the second!

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

THAT IS AN UNDER STATEMENT!

37. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 1, 2009

You kow. It's amazing how people who hoard dogs and cats can have so many or all taken away from them because we see the person as not being able to properly acre for all of them. Yet when a woman like this has 14 kids or more, she's allowed to keep them all. :rolleyes:

38. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

I wonder if the wife of the donor knows that the husband donated, and that he contributed to 14 children being born to the same women. How she must be feeling!

39. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 1, 2009

Now she has 14 children and one is autistic. I feel bad for these kids. I have worked with families who are very large 10 and more...I see how they struggle. I see people struggle with one. I wonder if she had all these children so she could become famous.

BTW I am sorry if I repeated anything one said..I haven;t read all the posts

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2009

Well, I'm all for a government program to disable fertility until you pass a test and prove yourself capable of parenting...and it doesn't seem this woman would have passed this test. And I'm 90% serious.