Your Upcoming Students- How many do you know?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

I have siblings/cousins of former students as well.

Some I have known a REALLY LONG time. Three are employees' kids, so I have watched them grow a little over time. Two came to the school last year, though the assistant principal was my teacher in sixth grade and I think I remember in later high school when he and his wife were going to have their first child. Then one student came to all but one of my Feed and Read (read-a-thons) last year because her cousin was in my class. I know her grandmother well. Another had an older sibling in my room a while ago- it seems like forever ago. Another had a sibling in my high reading class two years ago. A few I remember from when they were really young for some reason, and a few have stand-out names one cannot forget. I interviewed one of my boys and one of my girls for the school newspaper when they were in kindergarten. One of my girls has always had the most beautiful long blond hair and blue eyes, and I remember thinking how darling a little girl she was when she was back in kindergarten. It's strange how time passes quite quickly.

2. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I have 3 who are younger siblings of prior students - this is a first for me, and I'm so excited to work with the families again. 3 of my students are children of PTA parents, and 1 is the son of an EA.

Our grade level did some collaborating on special activities last year so I became familiar with the students coming up to third. It's so nice for us AND the kids.

3. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I had a parent at Meet Your Teacher exclaim to another parent, "We asked for the best, and we got the best!!!"

I'm very flattered to be well-known in the community, but I hope I live up to my reputation!! :D

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

I have 19 kids so far and know only a few. 1 know because he was very tricky for his last year's teacher. I am going to make it work with him this year and really really really promise to love him!

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

I know all 14 of mine. They were all in our 3rd grade class and there are no new students in my class this year.

6. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I don't know any of them because it is my first year teaching. But I have been looking at pictures from last year so I can start to try and recognize a few!

7. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I know 5 out of my 23 already. I probably have seen all the others, just haven't put the name with the face yet. I do have the sister of 1 of my student's from this year.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2009

Out of 10 K students I will have 5 of them. I don't know which 5 yet. I haven't worked with pre-k so I don't know them well but I do know them by face and when I see them I can probably name most of them. I see them in the gym for bus duty and at recess. One will be brand new to the school. One of them hugged me everyday last year. That's the kid I probably know the best and I only know him by hug. Typically as an aide I knew most of the kids in all grades from 1st through 4th and some in Pre-K, K and 5th. It depended on which classes I worked with. This year, as I embark on my first teaching year, I am a little bit excited that I don't know the students that well. It'll be a clean slate and I look forward to building a rapport. At the same time I am glad I don't have to memorize 20 names and will likely be able to put names to faces having call most of them for bus duty.

9. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

When I got my initial class list last week, I had 23 students. I had 9 of them in my class last year and another 5 in my reading group, so I know 14 of them very well. Another 8 of them I know from seeing them in the halls and around school. I have one that is new to our school this year that I don't know at all.

However, we don't start school until September 9 and our student population is very transient. So I'm not sure what the class list I get in early September will look like - we've been having a lot of enrollments and I'm sure some withdrawals, so it will be interesting to see how many kids I still know when I get my updated list.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

Out of 27, I don't know any of them really well. Many (eight or nine) are siblings of previous students. Two of them I know by reputation only (yikes!). We have two girls that are new to our school, and there are two returning students that I really can't place. I can usually learn their names relatively quickly.

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 16, 2009

Out of 19 kids, I only know 1. She is the younger sister of a student I had previously. The others are all mysteries to me ;)

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

That's smart. I did that before my first year of teaching, too, and knew who was coming in when I saw them at Open House. :) I got a yearbook from the school to look at.

I do that every year, actually- flip through the yearbook. I make lots of connections then.

13. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

Unless there is a new student, I will know all of mine. Granted, half of them I had last year (the joys of split grade classes, right?) The rest I had for lunch or recess duty last year (ah, small schools). So, no real surprises for me, unless some left that I'm not aware of.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

I don't know any of them. I am new to the community. Heck I barely know the other 7 teachers in the grade level or the other teachers at my school.

15. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I moved from second to third this year so out of 28 students I am getting 5 of my students from next year. I know about some of the others from lunchroom talk and doing music as a grade level. We do Friday rotations this year so I'll get to teach all 140 of them!!