Your Typical Sub Day

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by maya5250, Dec 10, 2012.

1. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 10, 2012

Describe your typical sub day. I know that each class or each school is different. But do you have your own routine that you follow. Bringing in items for yourself to manage the class or for those down-time periods.

Just curious since I will be going into subbing

3. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Dec 10, 2012

On a typical sub day I check in at the office when I arrive. I am given a sub badge, the classroom key, and am told if I have morning or afternoon duty. After leaving the office, I check the teacher's mailbox and pick up any mail. Once I am in the room, I read over the plans for the day several times and write my name on the board. If I have morning duty, I will let the students in once I return. If not, I unlock the door once the bell rings. After all of the students are in their seat, I introduce myself, take roll, and begin the first lesson. Before I leave, I write a detailed note for the teacher letting them know how the day went and if there were any problems.

I always bring a bag containing a binder filled with paper (to write my note on) as well as sponge activities. I also bring magazines to look at while the students are at recess and lunch.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 10, 2012

All of the above, plus I would do these before the first class started:
    - locate and turn on all electronics that I'd be using. This includes the TV for broadcast, etc. Make sure they all work and that I know how to use them
    - locate seating charts (if any) and rosters for each class
    - locate referrals, detention notices, bathroom passes, hall passes and nurse passes.
    - locate phone number / extension to the office
    - introduce myself to the teachers next to me, if possible
    - locate all the teaching material I will need, pens, pencils, and organize everything
    - take out my timer, silence my cell phone
    - read everything in the sub file, especially about procedures such as bathroom, quiet signal, helpers, etc (if available)

I always did everything possible to prepare myself. There's nothing worse than having a kid wanting to go to the nurse with a real reason and you have to stop what you're doing for a long time, because you can't find the nurse's pass.

5. TeachinMan

TeachinMan New Member

Dec 12, 2012

One thing I like about subbing is that there is no typical day. In a weird way, I kind of like the excitement of not knowing what the day will involve!

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 12, 2012

:lol:This! I always silence my phone, but almost never get calls during the day anyway. This week I totally forgot about it, and the phone rang twice with someone trying to sell me something! Why didn't I silence it after the first ring? Well...I thought I had, but it's a new phone and I guess I didn't flip the button all the way. :dizzy:

7. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 13, 2012

Always bring a book. You never know the day when the class you have is going to 3 specials and they don't need you to sit in on it. That makes for a long day.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 13, 2012

The problem too, is remembering to unsilence your phone, at the end of your workday. I silence it when I remember (which is most of the time), but I often forget to unsilence it.

By 7pm, I'll check and see that I got any # of texts, missed a call or two, etc.