Your thoughts on breakdancing in school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by adversary, Nov 23, 2009.

1. adversary

adversary Rookie

Nov 23, 2009

So I am an avid fan of breakdancing and I have been learning how to bboy for the last couple of months. As many of you know, breakdancing is very popular among middle and high school kids. When kids find out that I breakdance as a hobby, they ask me if I could teach them some moves. What do you guys think? Is it appropriate to teach them how to breakdance in a school setting during lunch time?

I don't see much harm in doing so since most afterschool programs nowadays teach kids how to breakdance as a physical activity.

3. azeduc8

azeduc8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2009

I'd clear it through your principal and do it as a club.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2009

That sounds like a great idea for a club. Dancing is a great way to be active, and if you've had kids express an interest, you can tell that to your principal!

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like fun to me, I don't think it would be any different than teaching kids to double-Dutch jump rope. I'd check it out with the P just to be on the safe side.

6. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Nov 23, 2009

Going to join the chorus and clear it with the Principal and see if you can make it a club. I wish there would have been a break dancing club when I was in high school!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 23, 2009

Watch out for students who could injure themselves, too.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2009

It's so funny how it's become popular again. My fav movie growing up was Breakin & Breakin 2!!! We tried to dance. I think I even had a tape with instructions to go with it. My cousin & I would practice!!!

Wish I could join your club.

9. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 23, 2009

Congrats on capturing the kids' attention! Teens need a place at school where they feel they belong and can contribute. I hope your principal favors your club. Make it 'no pass no play' and have the kids bring you good test scores, highest one gets to be the DJ! YouTube their performances! (TeacherTube)