Your thoughts...girls vs. boys

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DizneeTeachR, Jul 11, 2008.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

I just wondered what you all thought about this. A school around us is going to be having an all girls & an all boys Kindergarten class. I just wondered if any of your schools do this & how well it works.

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2008

I could see it being effective on the middle school level, but I'm not sure about elementary. What is their reasoning for having an all girls/boys classroom?

4. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

i think i would shoot myself if i had all 5 year old BOYS! granted, the girls are a little finicky too!

lol.

LC

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 11, 2008

I would not like my daughters to be in an all girl kindergarten. Why do they want to do this?

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2008

On the other side of the county, they do this at one elementary school for each grade level. So far, it has been highly successful. Their overall test scores have remained about the same, yet the students have been able to learn better in an environment adapted to gender preferences like the temperature of the room/how much is hands-on/etc.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2008

Oh, my. I have had classes that were very heavy in one gender, and they are always very challenging. One year, I had 17 boys and 3 girls, and boy was it an active, loud class. A couple of years later, I ahd something like 15 girls and 5 boys, and there was so much whining and "catty" behavior (you can't be my friend! I'm not going to invite you to my birthday!) that I thought I would go nuts.

So, yes, there are definite differences, and with a teacher who would be able to embrace those differences and go with them, I can see it working well. However, I think I'm not that talented.
    Kim

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 11, 2008

I like the idea of this in middle school... but eek. There is no reason boys and girls shouldn't play and learn together in elementary. The balance is NEEDED!

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2008

I don't know about Kinder, but my district is trying it with 5-6 grades next year.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 11, 2008

I went to an all girls school through 8th grade...It worked for me, BUT...

I think that gender specific classes are like everything else in education...they will be great for some and horrible for others and a lot of kids in the middle. There is no magic bullet. I wish the admins would stop looking for one.

11. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2008

I would be for this actually. In my Undergrad classes, there was one called Learning and Cognition. Boys and Girls at young ages such as kindergarten learn sooooo very differently that I think it would be beneficial to them to be separated for the one year. However, I would make sure that there was interaction between them on a regular basis so that they learn how to work and interact with one another.

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2008

for the first summer in all my years we have an overwhelming (60 B- 20 G(if that) ) amount of boys in camp. And it has been exhausting ( from a discipline standpoint) I dont know how a whole class of kindergarden boys would be haha

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 11, 2008

We gender group most of our math and language arts classes in our middle school. While a whole class of 12 year old boys gives some people the willies, I'd rather have them than the girls. Whoo-boy!! Girls that age are something else!

I have read research on reading and writing in boys, and it does seem that they learn and "get" things at a different age than girls.

14. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Well said mmswm!

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 12, 2008

I know what the research says and on that note I would be interested in hearing how it turns out. On the other hand, I would cry if I had to teach all one gender either way. You have to have some balance!

16. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2008

Teaching boys would be my preference. I would much prefer their energy v. the girls' cattiness. I have always thought that girls could be so much more cruel than boys.

17. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

No rhyme or reason

There is nothing inherently good or bad about this or any other educational idea. Success depends on the mix. Can the teacher be clever enough to make it work? Will he or she have the right combo of students to make it work? Will the administration and parents become a problem or part of the solution? I don't think such a situation would be ideal, but if asked to try it I'd do it in a nano second.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

Here's the article... I took school name & teacher names out.

-- Citing research on brain differences in learning between boys and girls, Elementary School will have one section of kindergarten for just boys and one section for girls this fall.

Parents were offered the option to choose an all-female or all-male kindergarten class, said Elementary School Principal.
    ``Enough interest was shown to offer one section of each for the coming school year,'' Principal said.
    Books and studies on gender learning differences say the male and female brains are different neurologically, hormonally and developmentally, said.
    According to the studies, those differences lead to contrasts in behavior and learning.
    cited the books ``Boys and Girls Learn Differently! A Guide for Teachers and Parents'' by Michael Gurian and ``Boys Adrift: The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men'' by Leonard Sax.
    Sax cites changes at school, video games, medications for ADHD, endocrine disrupters and ``revenge of the forsaken gods,'' as the five factors.
    While over-generalizing about boys and girls doesn't lead to positive results, educators do know they can be different in their approaches to learning, said.
    ``Given a project, boys have a tendency to just grab everything and go, thinking of the whole project,'' said Kindergarten teacher M, who will teach the boys' class.
    M, a mother of three boys who has 25 years in teaching, plans to harness this energy by creating active, high-energy lessons for her students.
    Veteran teacher H will teach the girls class.
    ``Girls plan more,'' H said. ``When given directions, they simply get the materials, picking more specifically the parts that they want, starting with the pieces before moving forward,'' H said.
    Both teachers want their students to be comfortable in the new situation and successful.
    M wants the boys to actively participate in academics at school.
    H wants the girls to acquire leadership qualities.
    M’s boys and H's girls will still mix with the opposite sex.
    They will spend time together during lunch and recess and come together for weekly activities in math, science and social studies.
    ``School's goal continues to be that students, no matter what class or grade they are in, will be part of a wonderful, creative, safe place of learning,'' said.
    ``Gender-specific classrooms are one more way that we plan to make that happen for even more of our students,'' said.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

Hopefully they'll do updates in the paper to see how it is going. I'll have to let you know if I hear anything.

20. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2008

I think boys should *generally start K at 6, and girls at 5... this could be negotiable, but it just makes sense to me.

21. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 12, 2008

I actually requested this a few years back but my Principal wouldn't go for it. I wanted the boys. I really have a hard time with the little girls... Ug.

Kelly :)

22. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I had all girls and one boy this year - my poor boy - I hated it lucky I only had them half the day - I would want the boys I just connect easier with them then the girls - the girls just get on the nerves :)

23. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

In middle and high school, I think it's great. In elementary, I don't know. My class loves boys vs. girls competitions with their work and learning games.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

I think they are only doing K as far as I've heard.

25. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

I would love to have a class of all boys! I have taught a couple of classes that were all boys and they were GREAT!!!!!! I teach junior high.