Your sub has a question:

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newsub_oldlady, Aug 29, 2010.

1. newsub_oldlady

newsub_oldlady Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

" I am a substitute from K-12, regular and special ed. Thankfully my daunting first year is over and I am embarking on the second year of experience. My question to teachers I sub for is this :
    Would you rather have your students get their work done for the day, or have a fun experience? The reason I ask is, after my first year of peddling my fears ( of administration, my agency, My lack of experience), I have noticed the variety of lesson plans teachers leave. As a sub, I also have to consider the grade level and integrity of the class. Lets just say, if the class is not well enough behaved for the sub, am I still expected to get the work completed? I try my hardest, but many students feel they don't have to work when their teacher is absent.
    PS, I REALLY appreciate when a teacher says, "Don't worry about doing the lesson plan exactly as written, just do what you can, or approach the lesson with your own spin", sort of thing. These teachers must have subbed before!
    Thanks in advance for any input!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

We sub internallly, so feell free to discount my answer.

And I'm secondary, so the "fun" factor simply doesn't enter in.

But if I leave a lesson for the sub, and it doesn't get done, you can BET I'm going to find the sub and ask "What did they do??"

If for some reason they didn't understand the material and the sub told them they could work on something else, fine, I'll reteach. (Again, we sub internallly. So there's no reason to expect that my subs actually remember their high school math, though it's always great when they can be of some help to my kids.)

If the issue was something out of their control, (Like, say, a fire drill or an assembly that ran late) then it's a non-issue.

But heaven help my class if their behavior was the reason the work didn't get done!

And, yes, I make that pretty clear to the kids pretty early on.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I'm totally different from Alice. We have several regular subs, and they know my feelings on what gets done. Most of what I leave for a sub to cover is busy work... I don't trust a sub enough to cover new material. So I always leave them a plan with ideas, but I also have a note at the top of my lesson plans that tells them where they can find different worksheets and activities if they don't like what I have left them.

My two requirements for a sub are:
    1) They keep my kids safe.
    2) They put my room back the way it was before they walked in.

I don't really expect much to get done because I know how kids act when they have a sub, and I know the quality of our subs is not the best. I HATE coming back and my room looking like a bomb went off.

I subbed, and I hated it. Teachers always left these plans that they thought were really good, but a lot of the time they didn't explain things very well.

The thing that is difficult about it though is that every teacher has different preferences when it comes to subs. On my team of six, three of them care what gets done, and three of us don't. You need to know the teaching style of the teacher.

One other thing... make sure you leave a note for the teacher about the day. It doesn't have to be long, but I hate having to trust a 7 year old to figure out what happened (expecially when it comes to behavior problems). I cannot tell you how many times subs don't leave a note!

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I don't leave busy work, I leave things that fit in with the curriculum they are learning, so they really should get it done. I try to make it fun and interesting, but it's still work. We have one sub who never follows the plans that we leave, and that is super annoying. If we are going to take the time and thought to make special sub plans, then the sub should follow them. I'm able to forbid her from my room because I have all of the ADHD kids in my class, and her management is not good.

I make it clear at the beginning of the year that my students should behave even better for guests than they do for me, and if they don't, there will be hell to pay. I will have reserved the computer lab ahead of time so the sub can take them there at the end of the day if they are good (but still to do real work, not just play games). Luckily, I've never had a class not earn the lab. It's just a couple of students who might get their names passed on to me by the sub.

If there is a plan, follow it and get the work done. If you act like you are just a babysitter, they will treat you like one.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

Just saw UVAgirl's post:

I agree, I don't leave new material for the sub to cover. I leave activities that they have done before, or ones that don't require a lot of explanation (sorts, posters, learning games, flipbooks).

It's funny, I can always tell how the day went, even before looking at the sub note, by checking the floor as I go in. Clean floor...good day! Dirty floor...names on the list!

7. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

I second the poster who said "leave a note". Even if it's just: The day went smoothly, the students did their work". Even in high school, students invariably try to pull the "the sub didn't give us the assignment". I try to hold my students accountable - I make sub work worth 10 points classwork (HW is usually only 5 points). If something I left was unclear and the sub leaves that in a note, I understand. If something came up, like Alice said, I understand. Most of my sub work, unless I was planning to be out, is generic cultural stuff, so it's things the kids should enjoy doing. However, I leave the work specifically so that the students don't become a behavioral issue. In general, if a teacher leaves work, I'd do it. You don't know how the teacher feels about it, so how can you judge to just not do it. Plus, students are better behaved when they are focused on something. If they finish early, then by all means do a fun activity or play a game. However, most of the teachers in my school either check or collect sub work - otherwise, the poor subs would have total chaos in the room!

8. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I don't mind if you don't get everything done that I left. I try to leave a lot so that there is no down time. BUT, at least give it a try! We have one sub (a retired teacher who, in my opinion, should know better!) who doesn't even attempt to get what I leave done. She has two games - a spelling one and a current events one - that she feels she must get in. So she picks two topics she doesn't want to teach and skips it. It's so frustrating for me to come back and hear, "We played games!" Yeah, but did you learn anything?

Also, I totally agree: Leave a Note! And tell the truth: if Johnny couldn't stop talking and Sarah couldn't stay in her seat, I want to know!

I subbed for three years and LOVED it. It's a great job, and I learned a ton! Enjoy it.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

I do not leave busy work. I leave the work that we would have done that day with modifications. I expect it to be done. We sub internally and there are only a few people who could help my students so I usually let them work in small groups so that they can help each other. This happened to me last year, work that was left for a sub did not get done and I was hunting down the sub.

10. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 29, 2010

I've worked as a sub for the last two years. If the teacher leaves work or a lesson for the students, then I assume that is what the teacher wants the class to do. It IS possible to do the work left AND have fun. I often joke with the kids to keep things light, BUT I also let them know they DO have work left by their teacher that is expected to be completed and turned either by the end of class or when the teacher returns.

I always follow any lesson left by the teacher. I've only had 1 teacher tell me "I left a lesson plan for tomorrow, but don't worry about it if you want to do something else." No. I will still do what the teacher left. My one big gripe with teacher plans, however, is this - DO NOT WRITE "THEY KNOW WHAT TO DO." :down: I'm sure they DO know what they are supposed to do, but it is the very rare class I can actually TRUST to give me an honest answer on this.

As a sub, I always leave a Feedback Form for the teacher that allows me to write a brief summary on how each class went. I use my own form that was modified from a great Feedback Form one of my regular teachers would leave for me with the lesson plan. It's done in Word and I'm happy to share it with any other subs who might want it. Just send me a PM and I'll email a copy to you.

Now that *I* am the teacher, I have to develop my own sub plans. I don't expect a sub to teach new content to the students, so my plans will either include an assignment on material they have already been doing or a worksheet with problems/activities based on what we are covering. Yes, it will mostly be "busy work", but busy students are behaving students and it will give them extra practice on the subjects we are covering. I WILL be looking over the assignment for completion, just as I do all homework, and there is a good chance some of the quiz or test questions will come from that worksheet, so it is also productive busy work. :)

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

I'm in-between, I guess. Some things I expect the sub to get through. My Daily 5 rotations and mini-lessons, for example. The kids do this every day and they are independently working, so they should know how to do it even without a teacher in the room. However, if they don't finish everything I planned for math, or if journal writing runs long and they don't to science, I'm ok with that. I always note that it's ok if something doesn't get finished.

12. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I teach French Immersion and nine times out of ten, the subs I get can't speak French, so I usually do leave work that fits in with what we're doing, but that they can do with little to no help from the sub. I've only left new material for a sub one time, when I had booked the sub in advance and knew he could speak French.

That being said, I expect the work to get done. However, I understand that the kids aren't going to work as well for the sub as they would work for me.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

I"m in high school so the fun aspect doesn't apply for me either. Students of this age are not there to have fun. I have already started training them on procedures for different activities. So unless I get hit by a bus today, a sub should be able to step in and actually get work done while I'm gone.

I do not give busy work. Students can work on portfolios, analyze journals, outline the next chapter a couple of days early, etc. I make sure that the work I leave is something that the students would have to do anyhow. I do not care for having the students watch a video while I'm gone. I might have that for a couple of days while I teach, but it is hard to find a video that I can show legally, will keep them interested, and will apply somewhat to the current lesson.

Always leave a note!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2010

A fun experience? Uh, no. :eek:

I don't want them to be miserable when I'm there or when I'm not, and I do think many days are filled with learning fun, but I don't want them walking out of the class fist bumping and saying, "Dude, I hope Mrs. JustMe never comes back. She would have made us work! Who needs language arts, right?"

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

Yeah, I think the subs that concentrate on fun or the ones that feel that they are just babysitters are what give students that sub days are free days.

It does irritate me when subs think they know better than I do when it comes to certain things. When I subbed I saw a lot of that with the retired teachers that would come in for some extra money.

16. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I at least want Math and Reading done.
    We use Saxon Math, so that is scripted, and very easy to follow.
    We're starting Daily Five this year, so that will be trickier for a sub.

We have internal subs too, but one never gets beyond Math, all day.
    It just shouldn't be that hard. We've been using the program for years. I can't believe it when I come back and she writes that they only got Math done that day.:dunno: for 7 hours??? with 6 year olds?? yow

17. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

I teach first grade so I doubt the content matter is beyond a substitute teacher:p....so if I spend hours writing up lesson plans, I want them to be followed. I do say in some areas that if the sub has something fun or wants to put their own spin on it to feel free.
    We have limited books for reading (small group) so we are all sharing these books. We have a set schedule as to who gets the books first and who gets them next. If a sub doesn't do reading groups, it messes up the other teachers schedules too....

I wish our subs would write a detailed note....I don't like it when I get the " Great class...everything went fine today" note, then I find out from neighboring teachers and my students that things were not "fine". :( I actually think less of a subs ability if I get a note like that.
    :whistle:

I subbed for 3 years and learned so much! :)I kept a notebook and wrote down ideas of things I liked from each room.....

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

Just for the record:

Not all schools require it, but it's never a bad idea to have one day's worth of generic sub plans somewhere in your room.

At some point, either you or your own children WILL wake up ill and you'll be unable to go in to school. Having one day's plans all Xeroxed and ready to go can be a lifesaver when you're too ill to see straight.

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 29, 2010

That is what I am planning to do; find worksheets or enrichment activities that reinforce the content I am currently covering, then go ahead and get ALL the copies made and in my Sub Notebook now, BEFORE I wake up sick one day.

I have seasonal allergies. I don't get them often, but when I do, it is usually a very severe attack that requires LOTS of allergy medicine and sleep to overcome. I take preventative measures and usually only have 1-2 severe attacks per season, but I can literally be just fine one day and hit hard the next. I also tend to get a touch of stomach virus if I eat out too much. Once again, this hits out of nowhere. So one of my personal class goals this week is to get a curriculum map done and have at least 2-3 Sub Lessons planned out and ready if something comes up.

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2010

I have the benefit of an assistant who runs the classroom when I am not there. I also have a sub who has worked with my children for the last five years, so they pretty much stick to the regular schedule. In the event, my regular sub is not there, I don't mind if not everything gets down. I know my assistant will provide valuable learning activities, even if it isn't what we had planned that day.
    I keep a generic sub notebook just in case both of us are out. That has never happened in the five years we have worked together, but, you never know!

21. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 29, 2010

We rarely get subs. This year I moved to the middle school floor, so I will NEVER get a sub. One of the specialty teachers usually takes over and do their thing. I always leave work, which they appreciate tremendously. I was out once last year.

22. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I leave a detailed plan following whatever outcome is next on my year plan. I have too many things to cover to give the kids a free day when I am out. But I do say that they are fre to switch it up if it isn't working! It usually takes a couple of hours to get everything ready but I also usually get a note saying how much they appreciated the lesson plan.

I do need to find a better way of learning how the kids are behaving (middle school). Last year, my kids said I should always get "Mr So-and-so" -he said math is useless and we'd never need it! Umm, ya - so not happening!!

I have high expectations for when I'm gone and usually the kids rise up to meet them. I subbed for a while and always appreciated it hen the regular teacher left material for me to teach. Of course, having it count for marks helps get everything running smoothly! :)

23. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

I subbed for 4 years, before getting my own classroom. This has helped me to know what to leave for the sub. I leave what I would have wanted a teacher to leave for me. I actually have a small binder where I put each class period roster (I teach high school) where I have highlighted the students that can help and students that could cause issues. I do this because the roster the office gives the subs are rarely updated beyond the first day of school. This year my roster has changed ten-fold in just 13 days. Also in the binder-bell schedule, any duties I may have, lunch period, the lesson for the time I'm out, names of teachers that can assist them. Luckily, this year, I have another teacher who is teaching the same class I am (I have 5 of the class, she has 4) and if a sub is confused they can go to her-we are doing the same things in our classes.
    My plans consist of, worksheets on the material discussed, bookwork (chapter questions) or they may be finishing a project that the class has worked on the last couple of days. If I know who the sub is and I know them-I may have them put in a video that discusses the unit being covered.-I usually add in taking notes for this when a sub is around (Must list 25 important facts that the video says) and have them turn it in for a participation grade.

By no means should it be a free day-we have those subs..they are not allowed in my room.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 29, 2010

I never, ever leave "busy work" for my kids. I always leave a lesson that is part of what I had planned to do had I been there that day. I do have some "emergency" plans in case I don't leave something, but I've only had to use those once in 18 years, and I was in emergency surgery or I'd have left plans!

When I leave the work, I expect it to be finished. We're tightly scheduled, and I really need my class to do what I need for them to do. I don't have time to play "catch up" when I get back. Plus, if one sub ignores my plans and lets them "have fun", then they expect that every time.

I do over plan, and I do now that sometimes things don't go according to plan. If the sub had kept the students working and still doesn't finish everything, that's fine. If the students didn't get finished because the sub didn't make them work or couldn't control the class, then that's very much NOT fine.

Yes, I do expect my students to behave for subs, and if they do not, then they must deal with me when I return. However, I do expect the subs to be able ot handle a classroom. I have never had a "beyond control" group of students, yet I have had "beyond control" reports from subs a few times . . . and I don't place all of the blame on the kids in those situations.

I subbed for a year (every day except five) when I was first starting my career. I would never have considered changing a teacher's plans, and I always made sure to leave detailed notes of behavior and work.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

I usually leave practice work so that students can hone their skills about topics we've already been studying. I occasionally leave a reading passage (in English, not the target language that I teach) with comprehension questions and a writing assignment. I sometimes leave an educational video with a study guide and writing prompt.

In general I expect the sub to make sure that whatever work I've left gets done. I understand when unexpected events occur, like a fire drill or a last-minute assembly or something, or when the class works at a slower pace than I've anticipated--it happens. As long as students were working and remaining on task for the duration of the period, I'm happy, even if they didn't finish the work completely.

I do not ever want a sub to dismiss my plans in favor of something more fun/interesting/exciting/whatever. I've had that happen in the past and it irritates me to an unbelievable extent. That's my class and I'm responsible for ensuring that they learn the material required in my curriculum...so I get to make the decisions about what sort of activities they do in my absence.

26. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I teach high school. Honestly, I tend to leave stuff for subs that I have to get done but don't feel like doing myself - timed writing assignments, state test prep. (That said I am usually not out more than 1-2 days a year; last week I took a class that met during the school day so I missed 4 days on top of the two where I had swine flu.) If I leave a prompt for them to respond to, I'd like to see some progress on that prompt by the time I get back. It's fine with me if the class has a discussion on the question or otherwise brainstorms first, but I also leave instructions that a paper should be collected from every student by the end of the period.

I don't leave seating charts, because my seating charts change all the time, but I try to have a current class list somewhere easy to find. Most of the time our subs will have students sign in even if they do get a class list, which works out pretty well for me.

Mostly what I want is to hear from my across-the-hall buddy when I come back that everything was OK. I had one class get out of hand early in the year and she let me know, and I had that class write letters of apology to her and to the department chair for their behavior. I also told them next time it will be one letter each to her, the department chair, the sub, me, and anyone else I could think of. That worked. Didn't hear about any problems from them for the rest of the year.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2010

I don't mind if work doesn't get done, because I always overplan and never get through an entire day's agenda anyway. But, if there is something I really need done that day, I would hghlight that in my plans. Since I am a 1st grade teacher, most subs can step in and do a pretty good job, but I still don't leave much new material to cover. I did teach English at the HS level for a short time (on a short term contract), and I would never leave new material! I think at the secondary level, you need a much better understanding of the subject.

I have one sub who I love (and have already had to use once this year), and try to use her all the time because she knows my system and it just makes it easier. She also knows my expectations, so sticking to her is just so much easier.

I used to sub and would always follow the lesson plan completely, unless there were notes saying that there was room for flexibility on certain things. Other than that, I aimed to get through the teacher's plan as well as I could. Also, notes are important, and I would always leave them as well.

28. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 29, 2010

um, how about both? lol Your question sounds like doing what the teacher is asking isn't "fun" or can't be "fun'. It IS possible to make learning fun....so substitutes, please do both.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

I've used mine once or twice in 24 years. Most of the time I can come up with something better related to what I'm actually covering. (Though I do update them 2 or 3 times a year.)

But when I hear "Mommy!!! I'm sick" at 4 am, it's awfully nice to know I've got something ready if I need it.

30. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 29, 2010

I would be annoyed if I came back to school and heard that none of the material I left was done and games were played. I agree that I love to see a note about what happened- and I am ok if not everything is done.

One time I came back to school and the sub decided to teach his own material for the whole day. None of it went with curriculum and I was pretty annoyed about it.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

I once had a sub (who hasn't been back in the building) who left me a note saying that he didn't teach what I had left because he chose to, "do something better".

I leave detailed plans, and have emergency plans for "just in case" (I'll need to put those together this week). I don't necessarily expect that everything be done, but hope that most of it is. I never leave busy work; everything is purposeful.

32. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010

Here's what I want from a sub:

1. I like it when I return and no students have been suspended, expelled, hospitalized or arrested.

2. I like to know that the sub is not home drinking himself or herself into oblivion, trying to forget the experience of teaching my class.

3. I like to know exactly what learning did take place, and what was covered and if I need to cover it again.

33. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 29, 2010

I feel the same way. When I was out last year for a few days some of my students got in some serious trouble to say the least. We have subs who just leave during lunch and abandon the class! :eek:

34. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I have done lots of subbing and the plans that teachers left were all over the board. I had different levels of engagement, depending on what they left us to do. The things that worked well were: finishing a project that had already been started, reading with the class, reviewing concepts with them, and watching a movie, but only if a question sheet was provided for them to fill out as they watched.

The things that didn't go so well: busywork that could be done quietly at their desk. Most of them would choose to not do it and talk among themselves. Once a teacher assigned a reading that was way over their head and I couldn't get them on track for anything. It turns out that the teacher never even did that with them because it was a reading by Emerson for a sped class. Projects that needed to be done on a computer were difficult b/c they would try to get away with playing games instead so I had to constantly monitor them and they would sometimes get downright hostile when I told them to get to work. My biggest problems as a sub were computer projects.

Foreign language classes were not a problem. I could review with them even if I didn't know the words. As long as the teacher left a clear plan to follow I could do it, b/c the kids already knew the material and I would lead them thru it. The German teacher always requested me b/c I wasn't afraid of it. Also, I always left a detailed note--I can't imagine not doing that and the teachers always appreciated it. I didn't try to repeatedly wake up sleepers--just left their name with the teacher after warning the sleeper that I would. I learned that lesson after a young man almost hit me.

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

I spend a lot of time leaving detailed plans for a sub. I expect the sub to take my place, so I expect the plans to be followed. We are on a tight schedule and I need the material I leave to be covered. I understand if something unforseen happens (drills and what not) and can be flexible. However, if a substitute replaces my curriculum for something "fun" because they would rather do it, I am not happy. I had a sub a few years ago throw out my plans for the entire day and show Wizard of Oz. ?Really? It had nothing to do with any of our curriculum, and movies have to be preapproved by the principal. Our subs should know this because they go through a 4 day training that covers things like this. I know, I've been through the training when I subbed for the district. I was not happy the next day when she left me a note that there was 30 minutes left of the movie and that I needed to finish it with the kids.

36. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

I'm going to be very frank: If I know I'm going to be absent in advance (teaching workshop, off-campus meeting, other training, etc.) I have very detailed and specific plans for my substitute teacher.

However, last year I came down with Walking Pneumonia (after 13 out of 24 kids had already had it), so I had to type sub plans from home. Because all my TEs and other books were at school, I had no choice but to tell the sub to have students complete Practice Book pages (for language arts and math), take the students to the computer lab, have the students go out for PE, and watch a video. There was absolutely no way I could have made it to school, and with a high fever, I didn't have the energy to write detailed plans.

98% of the time, my sub plans are precise, easy-to-follow, and normally incorporate some sort of "reteaching" activities (I never leave new lessons for a sub--it's always review). However, things come up and there are times when we just can't make it to school and have to pretty much have the sub "wing it." Thankfully, my grade-level members checked up on the sub and things were going smoothly. When I returned after my two-day absence, the classroom still looked great!

37. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2010

I love point #2! :lol:

38. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

We have to have these somewhere right near our desk, but I haven't used mine yet (POUNDING on wood right now). I also have a sub folder on my computer desktop (the part the sub can access) that has links to learning websites and videos that they can do/play/watch with the whole class.

39. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I had to deal with a similar situation when my second grade partner's mother fell suddenly ill (and eventually passed away.) It was such an emergency situation that it was simply unthinkable for her to do three days of lesson plans, detailed or otherwise. I ended up taking her students into my classroom, and teaching the entire grade level with her sub assisting. It wasn't so bad. I kept thinking, "That could have been me sitting with my dying mother." Someday, if it ever becomes necessary, I hope a colleague will step up and cover for me.

40. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

I also leave very detailed plans if I know I am going to be out - so, YES - I want them to be followed. I do over-plan, so if it isn't all done, and a note is there so I know what was/wasn't done, that is okay. I tend to ask back the subs who follow through.

41. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 29, 2010

Thanks for the smile! I am in your category.

I do not miss school much. (over the last 5 years only a half day, thank God for good health) However, my team teacher does. She leaves busy work. What a mess! The sub always leaves a note that things went smoothly. However, that is a patent lie. Things do not go smoothly when you leave a bunch of busy work. Leave a real plan. If your sub can't handle it, you can always revisit the material. However, just doing busy work is not fun for anyone who is not absent. I do not count my presence as essential to learning. If that were true, each time I am absent, my class should take the day off as well.

As to the fun element, I am not clear if you mean the kids should suffer or that you just want to play fun games that you enjoy with them. I want the day to be enjoyable and as close to a regular day as possible. That's why I leave such detailed information in the event of disaster or illness.