Your Students

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by deazy86, Jan 22, 2009.

1. deazy86

deazy86 Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

Where is the weirdest or most unexpected place anyone ran into your students?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2009

One of mine was Dad's nurse when he was in ICU after a surgery.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

My daughter was in my class when I took over halfway through her senior year. For her graduation present, we took a trip east that summer, visited family, and spent a few days in NYC. At the Museum of Modern Art, we went to see van Gogh's Starry Night, and as we approached the painting, DD said, "I know those people!" It was two of her classmates from CA - not my students specifically, but certainly from our school. That was pretty unexpected!

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

You can't beat this for a coincidence.

When I was in middle school, my brothers and I lived in Argentina and went to the American School there. On the way back to the States one vacation, we stopped off in Manaus, Brazil so that we could explore the Amazon. One evening, we were eating in the restaurant located on the sixth floor of the hotel. My parents were lingering over coffee, and my brothers and I were bored, so we were out on the balcony. My youngest brother (fifth grader at the time), took some olives out and dropped them off the balcony, trying to hit someone. (Juvenile delinquent). The first person he hit stopped and looked up, saw my brother and yelled his last name in that exasperated teacher voice--it was his fifth grade teacher.

Middle of the jungle in another country just walking under the first hit olive dropped by his student.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 22, 2009

This is a "reverse story." When I was in 3rd or 4th grade, we went on an extended vacation -- 3 weeks! Two weeks I just missed school -- the other week was Spring Break. We drove from Michigan to Florida, stopping of at many places on the way. It was a "trip of a lifetime!"

While in Tennessee, I was staying in a town, and walked to a nearby arcade with my brother. There, playing a pinball machine (okay, I'm really showing my age here) was my Gym teacher, Mr. G! And our substitute gym teacher, Mr. R.!!! They both got really red in the face when I went over and said hello.

I was very confused by their response. I was delighted to see them, and couldn't wait to tell everyone I had seen them on my vacation! They sure hadn't looked very happy to see me. I imagined they must hate me or something!

My brother explained to me later that day that I probably shouldn't tell anyone that I had seen them. I never did -- but it wasn't until I was much older that I understood why.

I mean, I was only 9 years old, and that was a much more innocent time. I couldn't even conceive what the word "homosexual" meant! (Shoot, I didn't even know what sex meant!)

In those days, they both could have lost their jobs if word had gotten out. I'm glad I listened to my brother (who was very wise for a 12 year old) and didn't say anything. I would have felt horrible if I had (inadvertently) caused them to lose their jobs.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2009

I've been in the teaching field since 1998 & believe it or not, I haven't run into one student outside of school.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jan 22, 2009

Mine is a "reverse story" too. I went to Vegas a couple years ago and was walking through caesars palace. I looked over to see my 8th grade english teacher with a friend walking around.
    She didnt look happy to see me, but i can imagine why! Just a day later I also saw one of my old classmates. You would think in a HUGE city like vegas, a teacher would be able to go a couple days without seeing a student. Hahahaha.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

Ok, mine isn't as weird as some of these...

I was on my very first date with my current boyfriend, over 2 years ago. We had gone out to a bar and were just walking down Main Street in my college down. We were both pretty buzzed. I walked by one bar that had a deck and I hear "Ms. G!!! Ms. G!" So I stop and walk over and it is one of my students who is NOT 21, and he leans over the railing and hugs me, and while I am hugging him, in my own drunken state, I say, Wait, what are you doing here?? How did you get in?? And this kid is whispering... "Ms. G, no, no. shhhhhhhhh!" haha. I just told him he better be careful and walked away. If I had been in any other state of mind, and not on a first date, I might have done something.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 22, 2009

I taught in the heart of San Francisco last year, and had a very rough crowd of middle schoolers. We moved to Sausalito this past year and were in one of the bike shops getting dh a new bike. I looked over and saw one of my students come in. Now, if you know anything about the city and my students, none of them would EVER take the ferry over to Sausalito on their own, especially this kid. He was one of my favorites, though (I gave him the Jekyll/Hyde part in our play), and I was thrilled to see him. Apparently his mother had moved herself and him out of the inner city over to this side of the water. I was so happy that he got out of that environment and away from the gangs. I haven't seen him since, but it's one of my happiest moments.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2009

Picture a small southern town, an older teacher (me), a traffic light, and a pick-up truck full of young boys pulling up beside the older teacher. They roll down the window, honk, and yell "Hi, Mrs. J!" The elderly teacher smiles and ways at her former students whom she taught in 3rd or 4th grade. They yell that they miss her and would she like to come get a drink with them?

No. I didn't go. But I would have if I hadn't been on my way elsewhere. They're over 21, and they were some of my favorite rowdy boys.

You can't go anywhere in this town without running into former students. Don't even think of going out without make-up on.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 22, 2009

Wow! Ok, so my story isn't nearly as interesting as all of those! I had to take a day off a few years ago for a computer course. They gave us an hour for lunch and I needed to do some quick shopping. While I was picking out a lingerie gift for a shower I literally ran into one of my students and her mom. The mom kept stammering that they had a doctor's appointment and that was why she wasn't in school. LOL

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 22, 2009

One day my daughter brought her boyfriend home to meet me. He took one look at our house and said, "I went to Preschool here." Yes, I had been his preschool teacher about 12 years earlier. It continues. We moved to a big town, and my daughter came home from her new job, and told me that the same boy worked with her.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2009

This reminds me of another one...

I was driving home and almost to my apartment. This was when I was single and a few years younger - probably 24? This truck pulled up beside me. I caught a glimpse of the guy inside. He looked cute, around my age from what I could tell at first glance, and had a big pick up, which I like in a guy. So I pull up to get a closer look. The guy looks over, grins and gives a big wave, and that is when I realize it was one of my seniors. He had no idea, but I was so mortified!

I also have former students as neighbors, so I guess they see me in weird situations, but I don't even think about them being students any more.

A co-worker was out with some girlfriends and was in an "adult" store a few towns away when some students walked in. She thought she was safe. She hid behind something until they left.

15. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 23, 2009

I was at my second job a town over and I ended up having to wait on one of my students and her mother. Another time I was at my job and I hear... Ms.(insert name)! A pair of my students that had moved were in getting some frappes from the restaurant.

16. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jan 23, 2009

Mine is a little embarrassing.

I was off work one Monday with a migraine. I had had it since the weekend and it wasn't improving (they usually only last 24 hours).

I was in such a bad way that I had to go to the doctor but I just couldnt get dressed to do it. I was in my pyjamas and slippers. ( the pyjamas were Tiger ). I just put on a cardigan over the top and went to the doctor like that. I took a cushion with me too.

I walked in to the doctors surgery like that and who should be sitting facing the doorway but a student from the previous year ( who is still at my school) and her mother!

Needless to say I was too sick to care who saw me like that - but she never said anything to anyone, as far as I know.

17. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 23, 2009

Really mean, reverse teacher sighting

When I was in 7th grade, I went to McDonald's with my Dad once, sat down, ate, left and thought nothing of it.

THEN, the next day my jerk math teacher tells the class, "I saw Lynn and her Daddy at McDonald's yesterday afternoon. I was sitting in a booth reading my paper, so I just pulled the paper up in front of my face so they wouldn't see me. Lynn was being really loud and smiley and talking a mile a minute. And her Daddy, he's such a cool guy, he was just nodding and smiling, then he ordered a Big Mac"

Everyone started laughing at me.

To this day, I still dislike that math teacher and if I saw him as an adult I'd tell him exactly where he could go. :mad:

EDIT: I probably should have told my parents about that one. GRR, that guy was just such a jerk and to make matters worse, I wasn't even a bad kid. I just sat quietly in the corner and tried to make myself small so no one would notice me.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 23, 2009

I was in Fredricks of Hollywood when in walked one of my student's mothers. The little boy had shared that his mother had left his father because he wouldn't sleep in bed with her. I knew why she was getting a new nightie! They are together now and she is pregnant. The nightie worked.

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 23, 2009

I've never run into any of my students. Some of these stories are great, though!

20. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jan 24, 2009

behind the milk bin at Wmart...I was reaching for a gallon of milk and there he was!

21. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Jan 25, 2009

A reverse story...

Jury Duty. It was my first time ever gong to jury duty, and in the parking lot, I ran into my high school assistant Principal. I never spoke more than a few sentences to him, so I didn't expect him to recognize me. I didn't even say hi, just smiled when I saw him and tried to go inside. Before I could make it inside, he saw me, smiled, and said "didn't you go..." I cut him off and said yes, I did go to school there, and had graduated two years earlier. I told him I was there for Jury duty, same as him...

The next several minutes were a riot...

I can't repeat here what Mr. P. said there, because it was an expletive-filled tirade about jury duty, and how they made us drive so far, and how we had to take days off of work, etc. This was the "nice" VP of the school, so to hear him talk like that was hilarious to me. I just stood there, trying hard to suppress my laughter. I couldn't wait to go home that day and tell all my friends what had happened.

About a year earlier, I had moved about 100 miles away, and was hanging out at the local ice rink, when I came across a gym teacher and her husband (who was also a teacher at our school). They were there because their sons were in a traveling hockey program. We talked and caught up for a bit, then I went back home. Two years later, I moved again, about 15 miles away from where our school was. I was working in an after school program when I saw the same teacher pull up. Her sons were in our program. What a coincidence! It worked out great though, cause one day one of her sons got really sick, and the morning staff tried to contact the parents, but were unable to do so. Because I knew where they worked, was a former student there, and also knew all the office staff since I worked in the office as a student, I was able to get through pretty easily and get them to pick up their child. The mother came back a few days later by herself to thank me for my efforts that day. Apparently their son's appendix had burst, but no one knew it at the time. I stopped working there a few weeks later, and never saw any of them again.

22. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Jan 25, 2009

Okay, one more. A female coworker and I were going out to lunch together. We went into one restaurant, but we couldn't decide if we wanted to eat there or not. She had to use the restroom, so while she went, I was supposed to decide if we wanted to eat there or not. While I was contemplating, I saw a head move out from around the corner, and one of our 10 yr olds pops out and says "Hi Mr so-and-so. I thought that was your voice!" I was a bit horrified. I talked with her for a few minutes from where I was standing, and she said hi, then went back to eating. When my coworker returned, I told her we were definitely going somewhere else, which we did.

The next time I saw that student, she reminded me of how she saw me, and asked what I was doing there. I told her I was just eating lunch by myself, and tried to find out if she saw who I was there with, and thankfully, she didn't. I said, "hey, that was cool, who were you there with?" She said, "all of us." I said, "all of us as in you and your parents?" And she said "No, all of us as in the whole class (12 students)."

We never went back to that restaurant again.

23. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 25, 2009

This happened 10 years ago-one of my students lived with his dad. His mom was out of the picture. Well, it turns out that when the parents were together, they lived on the street where I happened to live. My son was at PSR one Saturday morning, and my hubby and I were cleaning out the garage. We stopped for some smooching,when all of a sudden we heard "Hi Mrs. ____" That student rode his bicycle over from the city he lived in (where I taught). I was so embarrassed. Thank goodness we weren't doing anything else!

24. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Jan 25, 2009

Well, here's a boring one...

Last year, I had the student from He##. You know! I couldn't wait for the year to end and never have to endure this kid's outrageous and unbelievable behavior again. I was drained!

So, as I was on my summer vacation over 800 miles away...guess what I hear behind me?? HIM!! AHHHHH!!!! I turned slowly and there he was. I'll admit I did a rotten thing, I took my son's hand and we slinked (slunk?) out of there before the student could recognize me. I just couldn't deal with that student on my vacation. I needed the vacation because of HIM!! Haha.

:p

25. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jan 25, 2009

A few years ago hubby and I went to a Seether concert. I was looking around the crowd and I sudddenly saw 1 of my 2nd grade students there following his mother around thru the crowd. Well his mom saw me and I saw them.:dizzy::dizzy:
    She turned and walked away as fast as she could with her son behind her. All I could think was :eek: what the heck was she thinking bringing him to a concert.:dizzy::dizzy:
    Forward to Monday and he's a no show for school. I checked with the office and mom called to say that they moved. Poor kid I still wonder whatever happened to him.:dizzy::(

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 26, 2009

WHAT??????? 10+ years and you never ran into a student?

27. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Jan 26, 2009

I ran into one student at the bus stop at least 4-5 hours after school. I asked him what he was doing here so late, he said he was on his way home from friends.