Your secret first day trick

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, Sep 9, 2007.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 9, 2007

What is your secret first day trick for getting the little ones excited about coming into the classroom?

This year I put a small container of play-doh on every child's nameplate. When I walked to the front of the school to get them and send them down to the classroom with my assistant, I had a few who were reluctant to come. I told anyone who was having trouble that there was play-doh waiting for them on their nameplates and that they were just going to have to go in to see what color they got to play with. Worked like a charm! It just came to me literally 5 minutes before I walked down to get my first class. I was sorry I hadn't thought of it earlier to share with the other teacher, because it worked so well.

So, my new secret weapon is play-doh. Any others?

3. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Sep 9, 2007

Oh, wow! I'd want to come to your class. There is something about Playdoh that gives it appeal to children of all ages (even 50-year-olds). Glad you hit upon this inspiration.

Thanks for sharing. I'm a sub and now have by "back burner" working on rewarding good behavior with the stuff, but have to consider carpets and such in a regular classroom.