Your school's plan for emergencies/lockdowns/intruders

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

We have lockdown drills and evacuation drills...

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 12, 2012

I've done ALiCE before. Actually it's a requirement of our education degree that we go through the program. It's wonderful and truly makes you take a look at it through a different angle. Many area schools near my university have gone to it. It does require training up front but when you're talking about saving lives it's worth it IMO. In our training they make you go through different drills using old lockdown maneuvers and then the new plan. It makes it very clear what the better option is.

My school still does lockdowns, but I plan on mentioning my training to our P. I'm not sure how the program would work in an elementary school as my training was for 7-12.

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 12, 2012

We practice lockdown drills, just like fire drills. They are not as frequent as fire drills, but they are more time-consuming.
    I don't know how good they, but I am not sure if there are many options. The teacher locks the door and pulls the shade down. The students and teacher huddle in the corner that is not viewable from the window. I don't know how effective it is, and I hope I never find out.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Nov 12, 2012

We do the same as Bondo's school. I'm not familiar with ALiCE. I'll have to do some more reading on it.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2012

We have emergency drills and fire drills. The emergency drills include drills in the classroom, evacuating, and even moving to another location. I was in charge of our school's emergency plan when I taught in Idaho. It was a lot of work!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2012

We also do the same as bondo. We have a minimum of 6 fire drills over the course of the year, and 2 lock-down drills and 2 hold-and-secure drills. By our definition, in a lock-down, the danger in inside the school, so we are behind locked doors, sitting on the floor away from windows. In a hold-and-secure, the danger is outside the school (perhaps a robbery in the neighbourhood), so outside doors are locked, window blinds are drawn, classes in portables come into the building, but it's more or less business as usual.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2012

We've never had any drills and I was not aware of the emergency evacuation plan until we had a big earthquake a few months ago. I told all the kids to go outside (normal procedure with earthquakes) and they all knew where the "safe area" was. I just followed them. While standing out there, the principal comes up and says "this is our safe area in case of any emergencies."

Well geeze. Thanks for the heads up!

10. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 13, 2012

Same here.

Although the evacuation plan is a little screwy.

For the high school, they evacuate to the closest elementary school

The closest elementary school to the high school evacuates to the high school.

Yeah.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2012

Why is that screwy?

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2012

Sadly, it's likely very ineffective. You wait in the dark until the intruder busts through a door to enter a room he or she very well knows contains people. :(

That said, that's our plan as well. With young students I'm not sure what is a better plan. Except for security guards...I'm all for armed security guards.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 13, 2012

We normally have 3 in 1 drill, fire, earthquake and lock down. It's a little weird, though :)
    In one facility we don't have bells, sirens, no way to announce things, not even phones in the classrooms, or anything. I'm sure we have fire alarms but they don't use them during drills. The school secretary comes in, announces that it is a fire drill, etc, then yells 'fire', and so on. We do the procedure, but even the evacuation is weird, because they still can't mix certain classes for safety reasons (gang rivals). Honestly, I don't know how it would work in a real situation - we couldn't wait for 45 students to evacuate so that the other 45 could go after them.

In the other place it's a little more real, probation announces the instructions over the radio, everyone simultaneously follows the usual procedure and evacuates to the field. They have gang rivals here as well, but somehow it's not a problem in this case.

For the lock down it's just the general close the windows, close doors, hide, but in the first facility I described we can't even lock the doors ourselves. But then again, it wouldn't be a problem if we had an intruder, or someone went crazy (more probable situation as it's a fenced in / locked facility) because probation is right outside guarding our safety.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2012

We practice our lock down drills too. All teachers now carry keys to their rooms just in case a lock down was needed and we teach our students about not answering the door (even if it's someone they know) and not responding to the intercom during a lock down.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 14, 2012

They don't have anything in place if both need to be evacuated.