Your Reading Series

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MrsPatten, Nov 3, 2007.

1. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Nov 3, 2007

Our school will be getting a new reading series next year. I'm just curious what everyone else uses and what you like/don't like about it.

Our school currently uses Universal Literacy Voyager reading series. To me it seems to teach "word calling" very well but not so much on comprehension. Also it's a lot of work for the teacher--some days there are a LOT of materials to pull out. Also, in first grade, we teach about the ocean all year long. I'm so burned out on that right.

3. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Nov 4, 2007

We use the Harcourt Reading series. This is my 1st yr so I cant really compare it to anything, but I like it. First of all it takes you day by day and gives you many activities. It reinforces phonemic awareness and phonics, and it has a workbook that comes with it that reinforces the spelling for the week and the vocabulary. It is packed full of stuff and you can never get all of it done, but it's there!

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 4, 2007

We use Scholastic Literacy Place right now. But in 2 years we will start Harcourt Storytown.

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Nov 5, 2007

We use Rigby- Literacy by Design... It is our first year and most of the teachers HATE it! I like the comprehension organizers and ideas of the program. However, it is not paced well and I end up using the ideas and doing it in my own way.

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 6, 2007

We have Houghton Mifflin. There are some really good parts but there are also parts that I supplement using other ways to teach it. There is a lot of information for those little guys to learn and not a lot of time during the day.

7. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Nov 9, 2007

We use Saxon Phonics, Companion Reading and some Houghton

8. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 10, 2007

This is my first year teaching and we just started using Scott Foresman's Reading Street. I really like it-but hey I don't have anything to compare it to. Some teachers don't like it-but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have liked anything, because it meant changing what they were used to.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2007

I also use reading street....and really like it! I find that that comp. skills need some pulling from other places. The stories are good...but I like to do shared reading or modeled reading to teach the strat. whole group first.....

10. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Nov 11, 2007

I also use Reading Street and my students do fairly well with it. It works best when they have the program from K on up. It was hard to start it with our first graders the first year, b/c they lacked some of the phonics that our previous series (the older version of Scott Foresman) didn't include.