Your preferred fidgets

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 10, 2019

I sense I have a few more kids than usual needing fidget access this year...

What are the ones you trust kids to use?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 10, 2019

Wow, I'm always the wrong person to respond about fidgets. IF they are quiet, do their job WITHOUT enticing the entire classroom that they are simply toys available to all, I'm on board. However, rotating toys that distract everyone don't mesh well with me. I would welcome some fidgets that don't act as action toys, which draw in all the students in the class.

Backroads likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 10, 2019

My students have tried several. The ones that have worked best have been the tangles. - https://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Fidget-624x352.jpg

Don't get the mesh ones with marbles inside. Someone always takes the marbles out right away.
    - https://cdn3.volusion.com/zftqc.gvyzp/v/vspfiles/photos/696859158582-3.jpg?1448449149

I also don't like anything that makes noise or is attention grabbing, like fidget spinners and squishy gel balls, or anything that has potential to make a mess, like slime. It needs to be boring enough that they don't want to look at it or play with it. Haha.

I have a feeling some students would really like the chew jewelry, but that grosses me out.
    https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ghs...ecklace__27864.1498751259.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

5. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Sep 11, 2019

I second Tangles.

Also, fidget snake puzzles. The kind I have does not pull apart so I don't lose pieces!

Anything snake-like that my students can wrap around their fingers and hands works well for my students.

My personal favorite is a mini rubik's cube. I have one on my personal keychain and I play with it all the time.

otterpop and vickilyn like this.
  6. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Sep 11, 2019

Thirding(?) tangles. They are easy to keep under the table and even my most wiggly kids have been able to sit still enough to read when they have a tangle. Even I will grab one and mess with it from time to time.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 11, 2019

The only fidgets I have ever seen work (not be treated as a toy/ended up distracting the kid more/they are constantly dropping it and picking it up, etc. ) are the kind that are not handheld- such as a band around the chair legs they can work their feet in or a velcro strip attached to their desk.

Tired Teacher, Backroads and vickilyn like this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 14, 2019

We are lucky here in the sense that our P outlawed fidgets in our school. The sped dept over used them and they became toys for all about 10 yrs ago that were constant disruptions.
    I have had my own fidget in the class on and off for many yrs. It is a small apple stress ball. Last yr, I practically destroyed it just from squeezing it. Sometimes with my fingernails even....lol The stem is torn off after last yr.
    If a kid felt stressed, I might let them use something like that because it helped me. It helped me get through some tough times without saying anything really mean. I sometimes sat in my own time out, cool off chair and that poor apple took the brunt of my wrath.