Your Plans for 2014-15?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Mar 18, 2014.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Mar 23, 2014

I am finishing my first year as a part-time para in a 5/6 combo class in a public elementary school. I will continue to apply for teaching positions in my area.

I am not sure if I will continue as a para in this position, switch over to subbing or go for a full time para position if I don't land a classroom of my own this hiring season.
    Sheilah

2. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Mar 23, 2014

I'm curious what the troubles are in your current job? Congrats on making it through the contracted time! I hope you find something much better :)

Right now I work in the city which is just soo not me, desperately want to move. Also my job is frustrating, administration, scheduling, everything. I travel everyday which is utterly chaotic...I could be full time at the school they originally hired me for but then they have me teach classes elsewhere also. It is really hard to be traveling all the time. I don't have the brain cells for it!! Am completely wasted at the end of the every day. I teach K-8 general music, and I am not a fan of general music for 7+8 grades...I do like middle school choir though :) But I hope to teach like K-6 or something, general music/band/choir all of those things would be fine......in the country.

I would even take part-time, anything above .5, I would be able to gig more which would be totally fine and fun and I could give private lessons and...I guess I'd have to get creative to make enough money but that's how much I want to move!!! Haha :)

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2014

As long as they'll have me, I'm staying. My admin and kids are awesome. I have total freedom. The only thing I don't like is the commute, but I'd much rather deal with a commute and love my job :)

Good luck to all those looking!

4. teach4thgrade

teach4thgrade Rookie

Mar 23, 2014

Admin problems.

And thanks :)

5. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Mar 24, 2014

I am hoping for a full-time position in an elementary school - anywhere from pre-kindergarten to grade 5. I am open to public or private schools but would prefer to stay in the public school system.

Right now, it's just applying, applying, applying... and some complaining when I'm frustrated. :blush:

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2014

This is why I choose to stay and commute as well.

7. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Mar 24, 2014

I am hoping to just be teaching Chemistry next year.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 24, 2014

Good luck to all of us who are seeking something different!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2014

I will be looking for something closer to home (I'm 90 miles away), but I will be very selective. I can go back to my current school, assuming the enrollment doesn't drop.

10. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Mar 27, 2014

I'm looking forward to getting back into the classroom. I've missed most of this school year due to complications with my pregnancy.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2014

As long as I'm renewed, I'm staying at my school - but I'm hoping to switch grades.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2014

Chem~I hope all is well now!

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 28, 2014

I just had a conversation with someone from special services who took me aside and gave me the heads up that I'll have an even larger class next year. So, I assume I'm going to be renewed. However, I don't get my contract until 5/15 so I'll probably be holding my breath until then. Assuming I'm renewed, I'm definitely staying put.

14. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Mar 30, 2014

Thank you. It was rough but my son is here and healthy and that's all that matters. I'm looking forward to going back in September.

15. ILuvMyCello

ILuvMyCello Rookie

Mar 30, 2014

I am in the process of finishing a LTS position that went from 60 days to one year with state evaluations that I showed growth on AND did very well. As of today, this position won't be open next year, but that could change. My LTS position gave me a considerable boost in the job application area.

I have a great commute (15 minutes), great schedule, but have concerns in other areas-I am trying to find a new job for next year.

16. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Apr 2, 2014

I'm really hoping to switch jobs for next year. I moved up to junior high this year and realized it is NOT my place. Despite my love of the curriculum in junior high and high school, I really miss the students in elementary.

I've been applying for elementary teaching positions and a few other things. I am incredibly excited to already have an interview this week for an elementary instructional coach position! This is absolutely my dream job. I have my masters in C&I, and that's where my passion lies. I love to plan, find new resources, and share with other teachers. Fingers crossed!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 2, 2014

The deadline for pink slips has passed, so I should def. have a position in the district next year. My principal said she has no current plans of moving any teachers around, so I'm counting on being in fifth grade again.

A fourth grade teacher, the 3-5 spec ed teacher and myself have been talking about teaming up next year for an interesting push-in model. Basically the fourth grade teacher and I would take all the spec ed students for our grade (~8 each), and then the lower students in the grade level to 'fill in' our numbers. The spec ed teacher would take our spec ed kids in the morning for a Read 180 2-hour session (starting an hour before school and going an hour into school), while we worked with our general ed students on social studies/ela integration. Then they would all have recess, come back, and she'd push in for an 1.5 hour block of math. Then they would have a half hour of PE while we met for planning, lunch, and then two hours in the afternoon of ELA time with her pushing in. She'd do testing on Thurs/Fr. morning. The fourth grade teacher and I would pass students between us, differentiating and mixing up the levels of difficulty (yay, common core strands between grade levels!!). So essentially we'd be three teachers for two classes, grouping and moving students around as needed.

We do a school-wide 2 hour science block each Thursday morning and would integrate science and social studies into the afternoon ELA time.

The fourth grade teacher and I have a large lobby in front of our rooms (we're next to each other) that we'd use a third classroom-we're getting a large table and several couches/chairs/rugs for it. We approached the principal about it last week and she was really into it. I think we'll find out next week if it's a go-we're on spring break right now. It would dramatically change my teaching style (we'd be going at a much slower, much more scaffolded pace), but I love the idea of working with a tight team of teachers, especially these two ladies. So we'll see! Either way, it looks like I'll be staying at my school and grade level for next year. ;)

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 2, 2014

Good luck, TXOwl!!!!!!!!! That sounds like an awesome opportunity!!

19. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 2, 2014

So far, no word on whether I am being retained or not. The district just hired a new HS football coach and rumor has it that he is "bringing" coaches with him. Possibly 6 coaches... hopefully, one of them or their wives don't teach math! :lol:

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 3, 2014

I'm finishing up my 4th year at my school. We started with a new P this year- the old P had been there for 29+ years- and she definitely has an interesting personality. She brought a lot of extra work onto our workloads, but personally recognized my workload is ridiculous and has been positive with everything that I'm trying to do. (She wants to let me drop 1 grade level that I'm teaching but doesn't like how the other science teacher is teaching so she won't right now.) Since she's been supportive, I'll play her game and help her out with anything she needs and follow through with her requests. (I figure that's what a professional does.)

Still... I love my school, but I'm going to see how it goes next year. If certain things continue, I'll be looking for a new position, but if things improve, I'll happily stay (and I want to stay- I'm just not sure about my P yet).

21. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 6, 2014

First interview of the season tomorrow.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 6, 2014

Good luck, rhesus!!!

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2014

I'm starting to apply for principal positions. If I don't get an admin job I'm staying at my current school.

24. jenny

jenny Rookie

Apr 8, 2014

Just finished a teaching contract in South Korea and started looking for elementary teaching positions in Colorado. Hoping it will be my year to get my own classroom in the states. Stressful process, but keeping the hope alive!!! If anyone can give me a general timeline of your hiring process, I'd greatly appreciate the info. And best of luck with everyone this year. :)

25. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 8, 2014

Called back for round two and a demo lesson at the school I applied to.

26. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 8, 2014

I'm in CO! I'm in Denver and the hiring process is happening now. The goal of most (if not all) districts is to have hiring done before this school year ends at the absolute latest. The main "hiring season" is early march-mid May. If you're willing to look into some of the more rural areas of the state, the market is less much competitive there.

27. jenny

jenny Rookie

Apr 9, 2014

I will look into expanding beyond Denver metro. Thank you for the tip, Waterfall!

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 12, 2014

Thank God this coming summer will be the first that I can remember in a LOOOONG time when I'll still be making $$$ & won't be going through a dry spell just because the school year's out! Whew! :D

29. Sinewave

Sinewave Rookie

Apr 12, 2014

Trying to get motivated to start applying. Districts here are just starting to list positions. I'm at an LTS right now till the end of the school year, and the teacher I am in for has told me she is not 100% sure if she wants to come back next year. Wish she didn't say anything to me because it has made me unmotivated to look, since I know that the position is still mine if she chooses not to come back.

Have to start getting on it. Hoping this hiring season will be better than last year. Have more experience at least :)

30. *Autumn*

*Autumn* New Member

Apr 12, 2014

I have been out of teaching for 2 years but I'm looking to go back in the fall. I am working my dream job right now but the pay isn't much so I can't afford to do it anymore. I've enjoyed reading every post. I taught at my last school for several years and think I am finally realizing that it was the principal that made it so miserable. I'm excited to get back into education with a new admin and hopefully a different grade level. I think I'd like to try middle school? we'll see. I am in the process of updating my resume. good luck to everyone here!

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2014

Has everyone been grabbing up the jobs lately?!

32. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 1, 2014

I haven't signed anything yet, but I have a Chemistry job that looks really promising. The school/BOE is sending me to a CC training over the summer, I was told to make a wish list for the lab, and to input ideas/thoughts into the pacing guide.
    This wasn't my first choice of schools only because of the commute (20 minutes) but the school itself, I think will be a great fit.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2014

I hope all goes well!