Your Own Test or Another Teacher's Test?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 9, 2012

• Hey, I just wanted to know do you always use your own tests that either you created or found online? Or do you use another teachers or a department test at times?
    • Secondary Education Question: Who makes your Mid terms and Final Exams?

***I prefer teachers that use their own tests. I know one time one of my teachers gave us a test that another teacher clearly made since the other teachers name was typed on it. It had stuff we had not learned yet and my teacher did not overlook the test before giving it out. After grading it the teacher then realized that somethings we had not covered yet.***

When I become a teacher I will use my own tests. I also do not like when teachers put surprise questions on the test. If you tell me area of polygons is the entire test but then something like quadratics also shows up I'd be pretty upset.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

Nowadays many departments are using common assessments. Sometimes teachers don't have the option of making their own tests.

Having said that, I'm sort of a department of one. I can, do, and have to write my own tests. I like it that way because I can make sure that my instruction and the test go well together.

4. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 9, 2012

I hope where ever I teach I can make my own assessments. However, even if I can not I would at least make sure I covered everything that is on the test. Since I do not like surprises on assessments.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

I hope that you get to teach in a place where you can create your own assessments. I think that you should prepare for common assessments, though. They really are becoming quite common, especially as schools are failing to show progress, particularly in math, and are being closely monitored at district, state, and federal levels.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2012

While I don't think it's critical that teachers always use tests they created themselves, you're right that it's sloppy at best to include unintended topics. Assuming that's what happened.

Its worth noting that creation of good test questions isn't always easy, and there may be some good reasons teachers are using tests made by others. They would have a better idea of the difficulty of the questions, for example.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

I make up my own tests.

For trimesters and finals, we work as a team. One of us is assigned to type the test, but all people giving it have to initial a copy before it gets handed in.

8. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 9, 2012

When you work as a team... does it go something like this:

Mrs. Aliceacc has Powers, Roots, & Radicals
    Mr. Math has Solving Systems Using Augmented Matrices
    Mrs. Caesar has Linear Equations and Functions?

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

I know that your question wasn't directed at me, but I'll chime in anyways. At my school, it often happens that a few people (out of many who teach the same subject) will design the common assessments. Like, there might be 15 Algebra I teachers at my school, but only 3 or 4 will provide input for the common assessments. I think that this happens for several reasons: 1. Some of the newer teachers might not be skilled enough to design an effective assessment, 2. It's hard to find common prep time for that many teachers, and 3. Sometimes the veteran teachers sort of steamroll over the newbies and just take over.

10. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 9, 2012

Being steamrolled over would be horrible.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

In my school, each of us is assigned one test. So this year I'm doing the Geometry Honors exams.

I'll come up with a rough draft, then email it to the other 2 Honors teachers. Each will look at it, and make any suggstions for changes on questions or phrasing. We're all pretty good friends, so no one takes offense at suggestions. Once everyone agrees on the questions, I'll submit the exam.

At my husband's school, each teacher sharing a particular prep contributes a bank of questions. So maybe Peter will be assigned 40 questions on grammar, or 30 on Literature.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

I don't disagree, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 9, 2012

It depends. Many of the subjects I make my own tests as I find that is the only way to test what I (and the standards) really want them to know. In math, I am happy with most of the online and book tests, so I make few tests in this subject. I do find that if I can make some really good tests, I can use them again for a few years. Also, some web sites such as quia.com allows you to make lots of activities from the tests you make.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 9, 2012

I'm elementary, but I have to give common assessments. I look at my standards and the assessments while planning so hopefully my kids never feel blindsided.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 9, 2012

I make my own tests, but I use a system called OARS and we can pick test items (multi choice only) that are automatically connected to standards. You can add your own too and submit them to a database, so it's just a pretty cool database of test questions. I create tests based off of what I've taught them already. They can be pretty high level questions, and it's easier to grade since you just run it through the scanner. It also shows data in a pretty easy way to read (i.e. what students are still struggling with, etc.)

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2012

I work with a grade-level partner. We divide the test-making duties. We give weekly learning check quizzes, and we take turns by unit making them. We originally worked together to develop the format, so we always know what to expect from a test.

We have district-developed tests that come from the curriculum coach every 6 weeks or so.

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 10, 2012

We have an electronic bank with test questions that we can use all contribute to. Each teacher makes their own tests and quizzes from those questions, usually adding some in as well. Term and final exams are created by the course team and approved by the department chair. All tests and exams are required to have some type of essay question. We have also started to minimize the multiple choice questions on our exams moving in favor of fill-ins and short answers.