YOUR OWN MADE UP SAYING(s) or (?)Quote(s)...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebel1, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2009

Here are MY OWN...:D
    -The quality of what we place in children's minds can outshine the quantity of what we try to impress Management with.
    -To live and learn; can humble you, in return.
    -THINK B4 U BLINK! Mine BIG TIME! I need to patent it. Anyway, I made this up in order to get to my hard-headed son, who didn't think at all, (like me:D sometime). He's finally gettting it!
    I added to the end of it, for children who refuse to bend their ways.:help:
    "Think before you blink, or you'll do something that will stink!":eek:
    Rebel1

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2009

Here's one that I made up when I was down and out, but made it in a humorous, not serious way:

"The harder you work to get something, the least likely you're meant for it." (I plan to make this into a poster with a kitty cat hanging over a volcano :D)

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 21, 2009

I misread your title and thought you were wanting things we said in the room. I'm going to answer that one anyway :) I always say "Lord love a duck." The kids start the year thinking it's hilarious. They end the year saying it. lol

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009

I have a sign in my room that I made that says, "This is a POSItive attiTUDE room" - "positude" is my own little creation. :)

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 21, 2009

Not about teaching, but ...

Everything's relative. Including your mother.

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 21, 2009

There are many variations of the "For the love of..." sayings, here are mine:

For the love of all the sharks in the sea...or...For the love of all the green in the grass...or...For the love of all things purple...

I say these all the time, and change them up often, I mean the possibilities are endless, I like having fun with these :p

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009

I love, "God will get you for that", but that statement belongs to "Maude" and I don't use it in the classroom. :D

I love this thread and that's what popped out...my siblings and I used to throw that at each other alot as kids. :D

9. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 21, 2009

I'm a bit sarcastic at times, so I say "Good luck with that" a lot. I know it's not original but seems to get a laugh (when it's used at the appropriate time...). Also, a couple of times during the school year when my students kept going in the hallway at dismissal before it was their time, I said to them, "Get your little hiney in here!" They thought that was hilarious and a few of them repeated it at times to some of their friends and they would bust out laughing when they said it. In fact, they reminded me that I was the one who started it. lol

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009

When students, or anyone, say "I'm sorry" for repetitive misbehavior, I tell them, "Don't be sorry, just don't do it."

i just feel that's it's one thing to be truly sorry for doing something wrong but to consistently repeat the wrong and think a simple "I'm sorry" will make it all better is so AGGRAVATING to me. People need to use those words sparingly or they lose their significance after a while.

My students will often chant my little phrase when one of our more animated classmates dares to say "I'm sorry" for disrupting our class. It's wonderful to see that they understand my message! I'll even have the offender "read my mind" when I'm forced to stop, mid-sentence, to correct their behavior. LOL

11. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 21, 2009

Use your smarticles!

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009

Here's one I learned from one of the actors at the Globe Theatre in London: he asked a student in the group what she thought about something, and she said, "I don't know." He shot back, "I didn't ask you what you knew, I asked you what you thought." I use that one a lot!

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 22, 2009

If it ain't broke, the administration will break it. And expect YOU to fix it.

I also say "And how did that work out for you?" a lot, but it's not original. :)

14. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Here are a few I use from time to time, and the relevant situations:

When asked to believe something incredulous: "Riiiiight." (in best Dr. Evil impersonation)

When following someone else's directions, and I can't see how the directions I have been given will lead us to our objective. I'll let the student see for him or self that the approach won't work: "Okay, coach."

When a student is wildly guessing and/or pulling answers out of his or her backside with no rhyme or reason: "Time out. Don't be like the blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there." (Taken from Stand and Deliver)

The Dr. Evil bit I got from my Modern Physics professor. Whenever we were getting ready to do a lab involving lasers, he would do a terrific Dr. Evil impersonation and do air quotes with his fingers whenever he said the word "laser". :lol:

MathManTim

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2009

"This is not the Magic Schoolbus and I am not Ms. Frizzle."

"What in the name of Elvis Presley are you doing"

Also, as the school year goes on, I teach the students this:

I say "When I get mad ...." and the kids all respond in unison "BAD THINGS HAPPEN."

16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2009

When getting the kids settled for learning I would always tell them that I was ready to do my job and my job was to teach. What was their job? They would respond "to sit, listen, and learn."

One day when I did or said something silly the kids started calling me Silly Ms. Txmomteacher2. So everytime that I did or said something they would almost always said that.

17. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

About someone ramblings or a "scholarly journal."

They're using a whole bunch of words but not really saying anything.

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

When my kids complain of a boo boo..."it'll feel better when it quits hurting."

When my kids were wrestling, and after I'd warned them to be careful.... "first one who cries is in trouble"

When my kids ask whats for dinner without looking at what I'm making, I'll say, "pig brains and monkey butts"

When kids whine and say, "I'm thirsty",,, I reply, "Hi Thursday, I'm friday, why don't you come over Saturday and we'll have a Sunday."
    I didn't make that one up.

In my classroom, "I'm hearing voices and they're not from inside my head this time." It goes right over my first graders head but the parent volunteers laugh!!!

19. KDS

KDS Companion

Jun 22, 2009

i have been known to say,
    "listen to what i am thinking, not what i am saying"
    when someone points out i am not making a ton of sense.
    (I have some ding-bat blonde in me...sorry blondes!)

20. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

I totally use that one too---but my high schoolers get it. I started saying it because one time I was turned around at the board and I said, "I hear voices" trying to get them to be quiet and some smartypants in the back of the room replied, "sounds like a personal problem."

Nice!

21. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2009

"That's not my problem" usually only said when a child forgets his homework and is whining about it, or is whining about something else that is totally his or her fault. :whistle:

22. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

When I was a kid and tattling on my brother my mother would say, "tattle tale tit, your tongue shall be split and every dog in the town shall have a little bit."

I so want to say this but the tit part bothers me....

I've tried to come up with a different word, but the alliteration with the t is nice....

23. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

How about Tattle tale pit?...
    or Tattle tale QUIT!:D
    Rebel1