Your Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mary2122, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Feb 9, 2009

I am a recent graduate with my Elementary Teaching Degree. However, my certification is pending. I believe it will take a few months so I can't get a teaching job at this time. Also, in my area, many schools if not ALL schools are laying off teachers and going on hiring freezes. I have been jobless for 2 months and sending out my resume like crazy. Now it seems like 4 jobs want me and i need to make a decision. My concern is...two of these positions are not in the elementary field however the pay is good. I am in a rut right now because I am 23 years old and in 90,000 in debt because I was responsible for 5 years of tuition. Also I have a car payment and few other smaller bills. Paying these bills are becoming impossible. So here are the candidates.

2 Preschool teacher positions: Full time, the pay is both around 500 a week. Its in the field of teaching so thats a perk.

2 Secretary/Receptionist jobs. One of them is 600 a week and the other is 1000 a week! the job that pays 1000 would be amazing when it came to bills however it is out of the teaching field.

So to summarize everything...do you suggest I take the job in the field and possibly work some weekends in order to meet my bills or to take the unrelated one until the teaching field opens up a bit more. Helllp :)

3. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 9, 2009

Go for the job that makes you happy! Teaching I feel is more rewarding and it's what you went to school for. The secretary position might start higher, but I don't think you should base your choice solely on money.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2009

If your goal is to get a teaching job in a school district, then I would go for the preschool positions. This gives you experience in teaching that will stand out when you go to apply for other teaching jobs.

5. KrazyKay

KrazyKay Rookie

Feb 9, 2009

I agree with smalltowngal. Go for the preschool positions. It is in the teaching field and would look much better on your resume when you go for a job in an elementary school.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2009

Another approach could be this. If you feel this is not a good time to get hired in your field - get a job that pays the bills and allows you to do mega volunteer time in the classroom and with elementary age children (YMCA, reading programs, etc). The only problem with pre-school is that even though you are working with children - the age is a lot younger than than your target group - so your experiences will not fit your goal. I was told by HR in my district that it's very important to get experience working with the age group you are going to teach.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2009

I'd say with your debt that going for the higher paying secretary job would probably be best, then you can pay down your bills and get some financial security. Also, as Special-t stated you can volunteer to get experience related to education in your free time. Also, at least where I am from a lot of the time pre-k positions in private schools aren't really considered experience when looking for elementary positions. Good luck with whatever you decide.

8. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 9, 2009

I agree with special-t. In this economy, if you are being offered a secretary position with that high of a salary - I would take it. That will give you some time to pay off your bills and wait for the economy to end and hiring freezes to be over.

I have heard mixed messages from Ps/HR about the value of preschool teaching as an experience on your resume - since the kids are so young. I think you would be alot better off spending plently of time volunteering/tutoring/etc. with your target age group. Since you will have your certification coming through sometime in the near future, it would be an option for you to look for a part-time gig at Kaplan or something similar. Good Luck!