Your Neighborhood Trick-or-Treaters

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2012

How's it going in your neighborhoods tonight? Anything unusual, wierd, etc.? :)

This is my 1st holiday living alone & in an apt complex & I was wondering how it would get around here. It's plenty dark enough at 6:30, but I surprisingly haven't heard or seen anything different than if it was an ordinary night. If I was a betting person, I'd bet that not one person knocks on my door & if they do, I'm not opening it.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

Haven't lived in an apartment in over 25 years, but never had many trick or treaters when we did. Only unusual thing here is Halloween is postponed statewide until Monday due to storm.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 31, 2012

I live in a rural area. No sidewalks or street lights. I don't even bother.

We had trick or treat last night anyway. No trick or treating on church nights. Sunday and Wednesday are off limits. They have it the day before when it falls on those nights.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2012

I never turn on my light, but I don't live in a neighborhood so it's VERY unlikely anyone would come here. We do have a couple neighbors with kids, but even them...highly doubt it.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2012

I wasn't sure about getting anyone, so I didn't buy candy. We can't give it out at school and I certainly don't need a bag of candy to myself! Good thing, because not a single person knocked on the door. I live in an apartment, so I thought that might be the case, but it's a huge complex so I wasn't sure.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 31, 2012

We take Em trick-or-treating. Our first year here we only had 3 and they were my cousins. After that we took Em everywhere. Mom had a man dressed as a woman come by her house. LOL

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 31, 2012

It's 5 F here with the windchill. I've only had 9 kids (13 if you count the 4 I told to come back before they go home). I have about 100 bags of chips, 1 box of chocolates, 3/4 box of licorice and some lollipops left over. To think it is going to be 43F tomorrow night...

9. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Oct 31, 2012

At my apartment complex we have little signs to put out for trick or treaters. I got candy and put out my sign.

In the first official trick-or-treating hour for our complex I had the following visitors:
    1. Little brother and sister pair (who were actually kind of rude instead of cute to tell the truth)
    2. Boys that looked old enough to be high school seniors (not dressed up at all and carrying walmart bags for their)

After that I gave up and took my sign down.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2012

I'm surprised that apartment people don't get a lot of trick or treaters, when I was young, that's where we would go so that we could hit a lot of doors in a short amount of time. Lol.

11. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 31, 2012

We had to go back out to the store to get more candy. Sioux City has a trick or treating time frame 6pm-8pm and you are only able to go to the houses with the porch or a front outside light on. We got our first trick or treater at 6:05 and we were out of 300 pieces of candy in 40 minutes. I ran to the store to get 3 more bags. We have 1/2 of a bag left and a small bag of junior mints. I'd say we ended up with close to 250-300 trick or treaters in 2 hours. It was insane.

12. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Oct 31, 2012

I live in a neighborhood that is just outside of city limits and despite having a lot of families with children in the neighborhood, most houses didn't have lights on and I didn't see many trick-or-treaters.

(Not that our light was on because our dogs are evil and like to bark at all strangers - even the cute little ones :()

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 31, 2012

I had a banker's box full and was emptied in two hours, but I live in a popular neighborhood.

14. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 31, 2012

We live in a huge apartment complex and we didn't get anybody. I'm kinda bummed DH and I have been married for three Halloweens now and we've never had trick or treaters!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2012

I'm surprised too. It's almost 2 hrs later since I started this thread & not one peep! You honestly would have thought that my complex had sent a mass email to the residents telling them NOT to trick or treat, but no one sent any emails like that. I even looked out from my balcony & I haven't seen even 1 person walking. Our apt doors don't have individual exterior lights since there's lights lit up all around every night in general.

16. PolarBear

PolarBear Rookie

Oct 31, 2012

In the next life, I'm going to train the dog to answer the door and hand out candy. I lost count an hour ago.

17. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2012

Have had only one trick or treater in the past 14 years....5 acre lots, long country road...

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2012

Well, one of my sons did an amazing job carving 2 pumpkins - 1 was a black cat and the other looked like a pile of pumpkins - very cute. I held a snake, my son held a bearded dragon, and my husband manned the candy which was behind an aquarium of dubia roaches so it looked like he was reaching into the roaches to get the candy. Fun stuff! We had skeleton lights and I brought my skeleton from school.

We had about 100 kids - but I have a lot of candy left over - was that an overbuying mistake or ....:lol:?

Some of our friends came over because they never get any trick or treaters. We lit the fire ring and had chili dogs they brought over with some adult beverages. :whistle:

Nice evening. Morning was a little rocky. Just as we were sitting down for treats the fire alarm went off. The kids were not happy to leave their treats behind to say the least. We were outside almost half an hour because they couldn't find the source. They thought it was a highschool prank but it turned out out to be a teacher's fog machine. :dizzy: Principal was not thrilled!

19. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2012

We've only had 3-4 groups of kids. There's still about an hour left for trick or treating hours on base, so we're hoping we get more. We've never really had trick or treaters the whole time we've been married, even living in 4 different areas.

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 1, 2012

We had 200+. I love it, even the older kids. At least they're making an effort :)

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

I was getting worried; at 6:45 I had only had 6 kids to the door. Things were really slow until about 7:15, and then it was fairly steady for about half an hour. Every year we seem to have fewer kids. When Alex and Lauren were little, we easily had over 200 come to the door; last night, 50 is a generous estimate. They all got big handfuls of candy, though. There's no way I wanted a bunch left in the house.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

We went trick or treating for about 2 hours. We passed a local politician who stopped and chatted; she was so glad to see kids out.

Everything was totally over by 6.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 1, 2012

As usual, no kids were out. At about 8pm we saw someone outside with a flashlight but it was an adult just probably walking to the store.

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2012

Last night was the first night EVER that I got to hand out candy to trick or treaters! When I was a kid, the first year that I was going to stay home and hand out candy was the year we ended up moving out of town at the beginning of October. I was so disappointed.

Then, the last five years I've just not lived in a neighborhood where kids came. This year, I have neighbors with kids, so I was expecting some. I had about a dozen kids show up. More people should have hit our street--almost everyone had their lights on!

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 1, 2012

We sit outside to pass out candy since there are so many.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2012

Less than 10. Totally depressing. I have tons of candy left over.

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 2, 2012

We had 0. We had candy ready. We live in the country, where houses are far apart. A lot of our neighbors do not celebrate holidays, so that might have something to do with it.