Your interview process

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by luvmykids, Jul 21, 2005.

1. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 21, 2005

Different school systems handle the interview process differently. What was your interview like? Who did you interview with?

My district does cattle call interviews for the most part. 30 or 40 potential new hires are called in over a couple of days and we interview with every principal. You go into a big conference room and sit at the head of a table with every principal, the supervisor of elementary education, the head of special ed and a representative from the school board. All together I would say there are about 20 people there. They go around the table and ask you a set of predetermined questions. They take notes and score you on a rubric. After everyone is done they take the highest scores and they start picking who they want. Things can get ugly at this point if two principals want the same person. They then take their reccomendations to the school board who vote on you. If they vote in your favor, they always do, you are hired.

3. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 21, 2005

I interviewed with the principal and the assistant principal (it was suppose to be 3 others but they couldn't make it). They have a notepad to take notes on and read over my resume again in front of me and asked me to clarify a few things. The only thing that is different is that the principal can't hire you he/she has to recommend you to human resourses and they decide whether to hire you or not (they have a panel of analyst for every grade level /subject).

4. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 21, 2005

I interviewed with my principal. Some schools in my district have a roundtable with the principal, assistant principal and a couple of teachers. Our HR department mainly forwards names of interested/potential candidates to the building principal and lets him/her handle it.

5. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

One interview consisted of the principal, 2 teachers from that particular grade, a counselor, and a parent. Very small school district.

When I got hired for my current job, I only interview with the principal.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

I interviewed with principals, mostly... if it's a preschool or SPE position, usually the principal and a SPE person (or a PReK person) from the district...

the position I just got, I interviewed with the director of the preK program, since that's what I'd be doing... she had a laundry list of questions she had to ask, and then added ones she actually liked... and we talked about the position, the program, and I had an opportunity to ask questions... for the 2nd interview, it was with her again and the SPE director from the district... like someone else mentioned, they have to make the formal recommendation to the board, which is always approved.