Your IDEAL Neighbors

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 10, 2010

It's too bad we can't choose our neighbors! The Neighbors thread got me thinking, who would your IDEAL neighbors be? :)

I'm an unmarried person w/o any kids who never plays loud music or hardly has a lot of company over. I'd love to live around elderly people esp on either side of me. The current neighbors I have on either side are OK, we all keep to ourselves. I wave hello to them once or twice, that's it.

On 1 side, there's an unmarried couple w/ 2 or 3 daughters, then I see a couple of 20 something guys around. None of them seem troublesome, but I wish they weren't right next door to me. I notice the GF/lady of the house doesn't mind flirting/chatting w/ my visiting BF if given the chance. :( Good thing she hardly has the chance.

The ones on the other side will keep an eye out for us & we of them.

My mom's long-time friend has a real B for her next door neighbor. The neighbor puts her trash cans in front of my mom's friend's home so she can't park her car or put her trash there. The B has made prank & hang up calls to my mom's friend. It's escalated past that as well.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2010

Married couple with kids about my daughter's age, 8.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2010

Even before I had kids, I wanted neighbors with kids.

A family with kids keeps the neighborhood young. Parents, watching their kids play outside, are also keeping an eye on your property. Parents of kids care about the schools, which keep your property values up.

I'm OK with reasonable noise, knowing that no one is perfect; I try to keep our noise reasonable as well.

I like neighbors who act neighborly, and try to act that way myself. So when our new neighbors mentioned that they were going to buy a lawn mower (after the old neighbors left the grass hip-high) we lent them ours. When we had a snow day a week ago, my 7 year old "called for" the 50 year old childless neighbors across the street-- they came out, had a snowball fight, helped us build our snow family, and ended up having dinner at our house. When he had a minor stroke a few years ago, I met her at the door (her cell phone had been off), took her to the hospital, home to get some clothes for him, then back to the hospital to get him settled. We're not best buddies, but we're neighbors and know we can count on each other.

The whole flirting thing is a non-issue. We've been married for over 20 years and neither of us is going anywhere.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2010

We have the ideal neighbors. They are quite. Most of kids around J's age that she plays with. I know that if we have to be gone for any reason, our house is looked after. We look after their houses when they're gone.

6. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 10, 2010

My neighbors are all changing over now. We can tend to be a bit nosy because we have friends over a lot, but all our neighbors have been really good about it. I try to monitor the noise for the most part.

We have a bunch of single guys living next door to us now, and many young families around us. I'm really excited now that we're expecting our first child, to have him grow up in this great neighborhood.

7. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 10, 2010

Neighbors that are not petty or jealous about what you have would be nice.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 10, 2010

My neighbors have all been good.

The people who live in the house next door are all people I knew before moving into the house. The man is retired from the school system, and his live-in girlfriend is a friend's former MIL. His youngest son lives with them, too, and I went to high school with him. He also used to work in my building as a custodian.

They keep to themselves a lot, but they're really nice. We'll watch each other's houses when were away. I've dog-sat for them. They sent me flowers when I was in the hospital. I share veggies from my garden. They mowed our yard when we were out of town due to FIL's illness. The son has done work around my house.

The other people closest to my house are all similar in that they keep to themselves mostly, but we're all on friendly terms. Most of our neighbors are older. Our neighborhood is a mixture of small rental houses with younger couples/singles, and larger houses with older, original owners. I bought my house from the original owners, a contractor and teacher.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 10, 2010

Ha! I forgot that about my closest neighbors! Whatever we do to the house, they do their house.

I put in flower beds. They put in flower beds.
    I got a new roof. They got a new roof.
    I put new carpet in my den. They put new carpet in their basement.
    I remodeled my porch. They built a deck.
    I painted trim. They painted trim.
    I installed new gutters. They installed new gutters.
    I refinished my hardwood. They refinished their hardwood.

And those are just the things I can think of fast.

When I bought my brand new F-150 pickup truck home, the neighbor came over to look at it. (He had one just a few years old.) When I went inside from talking with him, I asked DH if he'd like to make a bet as to how long before he got a new truck. DH said that his truck was too new for him to get a new one. I won that bet because within a month he had a brand new F-150, too. :lol:

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2010

NO NEIGHBORS! :)

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 10, 2010

Isn't that something! Talk about keeping up w/ the Joneses.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 10, 2010

Temporary hijack ... Don't you love your F-150! I have an 2009 and my husband has a 2010 ... both XLT-SuperCabs. We LOVE them. I had a Tundra before, so many more options on the Ford.

...End of hijack

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 10, 2010

I'm with JustMe...my closest neighbors are about a mile away, and I like it that way! :D

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

Neighbors! Since I live year round on a pond, it depends on the season as to what we are dealing with. Fall and winter are wonderful, spring and summer not so nice. The people who live here year round are great, we don't bother each other, wave to each other or stop and chat a few minutes on our way out. The summer people come and party all hours, blast their music and take over the road. I have decided that this summer is going to be different, even though I will be "that" person. I have already contacted the local police department voicing my concerns and asked that patrols around the pond be stepped up, (we could see a cruiser once a week if we are lucky).

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2010

First I would say that ideally I would have a yard between our houses, unlike now where we are in a townhouse and essentially share a yard. Then I wouldn't mind a young couple like us, or an elderly couple. Honestly, I would prefer not to have neighbors with kids but I might change my mind when I have my own kids.

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 11, 2010

I have extremely limited contact with my neighbors except for the occasional wave, which is the way I want it.
    Once, about a few weeks after I moved in, I had to confront my neighbor about his music. It was so loud that my walls were vibrating(we share a wall) and even with my tv turned up loud I could hear his music. I was polite and asked him to turn it down. His response, "that's ok, I'm almost done listening to this cd anyways.". Hello- don't care if you only have half a song left, TURN IT DOWN!!

17. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 11, 2010

At this point, I can honestly say that I have the best neighbors! I came home a half day the other day for a doctor's appt and she was immediately knocking on my door checking on me. (That's what happens when you are pregnant and your husband is overseas!) They will shut my garage if I leave it open or fix anything that I need fixed at my house. Tonight he is going to take my husband's motorcycle out of the garage for me and put gas in it. They go out of there way to make sure that I am ok. I am very thankful for that. As far as my neighborhood, I wish there were more kids. Being a military town, families move in and out all of the time. My boys don't really have anybody to play with right now until a couple more houses rent out or sell.

18. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 11, 2010

My closest neighbors, who aren't family, are about a mile away. Further would be better. I live in the middle of nowhere for a reason. After living on the ranch for 10 years now, I couldn't imagine living in town around people!

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2010

I couldn't ask for better neighbors in the places I lived. I lived near family...always had playmates. I lived next to a family that is like we were all one big family. Now we have neighbors that are great.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2010

Our neighbours are great. They are always there when you need them, for whatever you need--whether a cup of sugar, a boost for the car, someone to take in the newspaper when you are away, or a drive to the hospital.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2010

I am the good neighboor. A vacant lot on the west side and on the east side a 65 yr old lady and her very elderly mom. I mow their yard, crack their pecans, haul their garbage and take them supper about 3-4 times a week. The neighbors across the street talk to us about once or twice a month. I live in Mayberry basically.

22. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

Considerate and mellow people, with kids that don't scream at the top of their lungs during all hours of the day/night or without kids! :)

23. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

Earthy folks that live several miles away but not afraid to make a visit every once in a while. And they gotta like sharing BBQ on the 4th and various other holidays.

The neighbors I have now, I don't know them very well but that's as much a matter of live and let live as it is a matter of my schedule and my leisure activities.

24. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 11, 2010

Good neighbors here. We have lived in our house over 20 yrs and our next door neighbors on both sides have been here about as long. We all have children around the same age, the youngest kids are in HS now. I guess we are all growing old together!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 11, 2010

Ones that say hello when I am walking by and don't have a make out session in the driveway. Keep their children under control, not yelling out the window at me if they can come over and play.

People that are fairly quiet. That don't have loud parties every night.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 11, 2010

I really love it!

I was a sports car kinda girl, but my dad had several F-150 trucks. When he totaled his old one in August of 2008, I helped him pick out the new one. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer a couple of weeks later, and he died last March. He wanted me to have his truck. I felt like I was driving a tank, but after awhile I loved it. I can't imagine how I ever managed in a sports car.

27. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Mar 12, 2010

Right now my only criteria for a good neighbor is that they don't wake me up with pounding at 7 AM! I usually love my next door neighbor but ever since he started building a shed, I don't love him quite as much as I used to. It doesn't help that he's been working on this thing for almost a month (all of it being during my track break when I'd like to sleep in a little).... and it isn't very big at all so I cannot for the life of me figure out what's taking so long!

Usually my answer would be people who don't allow their dogs out 24 hours a day to bark and howl (we've had HUGE issues with this but it's much better now). I'd also like people who are friendly but not overly so. We're sort of anti-social I suppose... I like it when people wave and say hello; but I don't want to be stopped for a 20 minute conversation every time I venture out to get the mail, do yardwork, etc. We only have 1 neighbor who has kids and they are a DREAM! They stay in their own yard, are polite, move out of the street immediately upon seeing a car (we live in a caldusac), and aren't too loud. I'd be fine with every one of our 12 neighbors on our street having kids if they were all like that.

28. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2010

My elderly couple who 'keeps an eye' on me just moved away last weekend :(. They were great about watching my place when I was gone, bringing me dinner when I was sick, etc. I'm really going to miss them...

29. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2010

I like mine very much.

They keep their yards clean and they give a quick wave when I see them. They enjoy being outside, but aren't obnoxiously noisy.

They like cats, not dogs.