YOUR first day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 22, 2010

Some of us have been in school a few weeks, some start this week, and some right after Labor Day.

I thought it would be fun to write about our First Days with the kids! We started last week but this kids don't come until Wednesday. I'm not ready but I'm not too stressed about it (maybe I should be :lol:) I have mapped out what I plan to do the first week, so that's a start.

Anyway, how was YOUR First Day? Class size? Good things? Flopped lessons? Funny stories? "I wish someone told me..." stories?

3. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Aug 22, 2010

My first day is tomorrow, Monday the 23rd. I do have one issue -- the teacher across the hall came into my room and tried to take the removable cubbies. She said, "Oh, the teacher from last year let me use these".

I told her i needed them and had been told by the VP that I could keep them for my kids.

She got MAD. Caught a huge attitude with me and the VP. I tried to make peace, but she wasn't receptive. Ah well. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Each classroom is assigned ONE set of cubbies. So this teacher already had a set. I am SO happy she's not on my team!:D

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2010

My first day was pretty good. I have 32 kids in my class. They were pretty well behaved for how many there are. But I do have 2 that have major behavior/emotional problems.

I always do two art projects on the first day. One is food coloring drops-blowing them with a straw, and the other is making marbled paper with food coloring and shaving cream. Luckily the PE teacher came in and helped me-since I ended up having so many kids. The project went really well.

5. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

My first day was last Wednesday. I have 9 first graders! I am VERY excited about what I can do with this group of students. I have a VERY talkative bunch. There weakest area that I can tell is writing, but with how much they talk we should be able to put that to good use and practice our writing skills.

I have one student that is extremely high, she is at a level 24. We like to see them at a level 3 coming into first grade. So, the second day of school I approached my P about placing her in an enrichment class as soon as possible.

We did a balloon activity that someone else had mentioned on this forum. I blew up balloons and put random questions in them. The students then popped their balloons to find their questions. Then we wrote the answers as a shared writing activity. Then I cut apart the sentences and had the students illustrate their sentence. Now they are hanging in the hallway for Open House on Monday.

All in all the first week went great! I am soooo glad to be back:)

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2010

I barely remember my first day. I've already had my kids for 12 days. Nothing stands out, so it must have gone fine. I was a little surprised by the maturity level of the kids this year . . . or maybe I should say the IMMATURITY level of the kids this year.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2010

Tomorrow is my FIRST day, ever. This is my first year as a teacher, after subbing and teaching special programs for the last fourteen years. I am excited, to say the least...

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 23, 2010

Good luck, Heavens!!!!