Your First Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2005

What do you do on your first day of school?

What are you planning on doing for your first day of school this year? Last year was my first year of teaching, and I am trying to think of exciting ways to teach rules and procedures this year.

But I am wondering overall... what do you do to incorporate both the rules/procedures and introductory activities that are exciting?

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2005

I read books that springboard my lessons on rules/procedures/routines(kindergarten). Pretty run of the mill I guess. In the older grades I've given scenarios written on index cards and put kids into groups to come up with solutions-leads way to discussing what rules would be appropriate. Done scavenger hunts in school and room to get them better acquainted with room and eachother.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2005

I did the procedure scenarios on the second and third day of school last year! :) The class really liked that, and then on the fifth day, I believe, we had a Procedure Jeopardy game. On the first day, they completed Classmate Bingo and did a tour around the classroom in small groups. I also read my short story The Frightening, Dark, and Shaky First Day of Fourth Grade (which was a story where a kid had a nightmare about his first day... but things turned out great in the end).

I had one of the most respectful and amazing classes ever last year (the fifth grade team is lucky!), and I am hoping by reiterating a lot of the same procedures as last year, this year's class will also be respectful and be able to perform extremely well.

I think back, though, to a teacher that Harry Wong warns against that came into my room at around 10:00 a.m. on the first day- she was a resource teacher and just observing my class in general. She growled practically and mumbled, "Get them up out of their seats. They look bored." I was reiterating procedures. (She's not at our school this coming year, by the way.)

I know I was a little lecture-y in that first hour of school... but granted, it was needed. Just this year, I don't want that moment to happen again, and I don't want to be lecture-y to the point where I "lose" a child.

5. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 25, 2005

This will be my first year in my own classroom so I am super nervous about that first day, and especially those first moments. I was planning on doing a classroom scavenger hunt and a get to know you game.

What are some of the procedure scenarios you do with your students? I need all of the creative ideas I can get my hands on.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2005

Which grade are you again?

The procedure scenarios are maybe of examples and non-examples pertaining to raising your hand to speak, for example. The non-example in the skit goes, "MS. JASZTAL! MS. JASZTAL! MS. JASZTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE GOT THE ANSWERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Everyone gets a kick out of playing the non-example.

7. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

I also read fun books that will lead them in the direction of rules. Then I usually let them brainstorm the rules they think are needed. When we finish we combine them into four to five rules that are important. I also try to put a positive spin on the rules, such as respect others and yourself. When we finish I type them up and all the kids sign them, then we post them in the room.
    I try to break up the day with fun activities and procedural things. I have also done a scavenger hunt to associate them with the room and then will talk about the rules in each area, such as the library.

8. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I'm in 3rd grade this year.

9. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I have NO idea of what I'm going to do. This is my first year and I have a special ed class with 4 boys. I need to get more information on the schedule and my other 2 boys' IEPs first (2 off the boys are already at the school, they'll be in the same class again so I have theirs).

I'm thinking we'll go over some stuff about rules and the schedule and stuff, then have some fun getting to know each other while I secretly assess some things about them.

10. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I laid down the basic rules and then they came up w/ their interpretations on what it meant in the classroom and acted out some situations. In between practicing the good and bad way of doing things, I read "First Day Jitters" to my fourth graders last year. It's the cutest book...if you have not read it...it's about about someone who is so nervous for the first day of school...they don't want to get up etc and at the end..there is a VERY cute twist on who that person actually is. We then talked about their own first day jitters...it really broke the ice and got the kids talking :)

11. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

my ideas

Last year I went over the precedures and had the kids practice them. I also think it would be good to play a review game over the important procedures/rules you want the students to remember. Another thing I have the students do is a creative art project on the first day. They make a cardboard cut out of themselves and I assign things to get to know them, for example:

A square nose if you have a brother, a triangle nose if you have a sister, a circle nose if you have both, and a rectangular nose if you are an only child.

Brown hair if your favorite food is pizza, black hair if your favorite food is tacos, purple hair if your favorite food is chicken, and so on...

The students really like how "silly" they look when thier pictures are done. I also put thier pictures up on a bulletin board for the first few weeks of school. It's also something fun to have up if you have open house after school starts. The parents enjoy seeing them hanging up. :)

I hope this helps a little. Take Care.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I plan on a mix of things - getting to know you activities, informal assessments, art projects and rules. I remember I had a neat end of the day game planned on the first day of school and our fire alarm went off! My special class is at the end of the day, so when we were able to return to the room, we had to go to art. I try a variety of projects where I can observe them and start to notice behaviors, etc.