Your fears, expectations, etc...

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Teacherella, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 27, 2007

I'm student teaching this semester (1st grade) and I already met with my CT. I'm sure a lot of you have already started student teaching.

This board doesn't seem to be too busy so hopefully this post will have some responses.

What are your fears and what are you looking forward to?

My fear is that I'll be my own worst enemy/critic. I really want to make a great impression and hopefully get a job in the district. I focus too much on my negative abilities (ex: my slight speech impediment...a form of stuttering called blocking where I have long pauses when I can't say a word) instead of my positives.

I'm looking forward to getting so many more ideas to take along with me for my own future classroom. I can't wait to meet the students and hopefully teach some great lessons.

3. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

I won't be student teaching for at least another semester but one of my worst fears is having a CT that is a total nightmare. I've heard some horror stories. I can be my own worse critic as well but I always think that student teaching is the time where it is ok to make a mistake and learn from it. I'm looking forward to working with a classroom for more than just a day or two. Being a sub is great but I would really love to be in one classroom for a longer period of time.

4. roamer

roamer Companion

Aug 28, 2007

I subbed for three years, and towards the end of my third year, I was a one-on-one aide with a 4 year old who has Oppositional Defiant Disorder. After that, I was a half day aide for the next three years and still continued to sub in the afternoons. I've been on the PTA board for the last 6 years, including two stints as president. I've done hours and hours of fieldwork. I've served on school board committees, even on panels to interview teachers and secretaries. I have a pretty good reputation in my district as someone who knows what she's doing.

My fear is that I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know if I can live up to the hype. I worry that my classroom management skills are lacking. When I thought that I'd be student teaching in the school where I've worked, my biggest fear was that my cooperating teacher would say to herself "Wow...she's awful. I can't believe I trusted her to sub with my class all those times."

I'm not student teaching in my school, but those fears are still there. I don't know my cooperating teachers personally, but I do know all of the "shared" teachers at the school where I'll be student teaching. We share the music teacher, the art teacher, the gifted programs teacher, computer people, etc. One fourth grade teacher used to teach at our school. The principal has a lot of faith in me because of my experience. I just don't want to let anyone down.

I have briefly met the two cooperating teachers that I'll be working with. One is kindergarten and the other is fifth grade. I think I got lucky and they'll be wonderful. I just hope that I can be wonderful as well.

5. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 28, 2007

I also worry that I'll forget everything I learned in grad school. There were so many important aspects of teaching a lesson and I hope I can cover all of them!!!

6. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I worry about classroom management (I never felt I mastered this as a sub). I also worry about trying to be enthusiastic and creative during this very busy semester... being tired and stressed doesn't exactly bring out those traits. And I worry about all the subject matter I've forgotten in the years since college.

But I am so excited to be in one classroom getting to know the students!!! I am excited that when I explain something and I know the message wasn't exactly "received", I will get to try again. I think my CT is going to be fantastic, so that's one worry that has been put to rest.

Good luck to all! :)

7. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 29, 2007

I also have a great CT so that's a huge relief! She's really nice and very experienced. :)

8. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 30, 2007

I have a great CT. I will be in 3rd grade. I can relate to being a little freaked out. I think I just need to relax and not stress too much. I begin on Tuesday. I'm more concerned about my supervisor than my CT. I have subbed extensively at this school, so I feel like there is tremendous support for me there. That's why I chose this school. I didn't want to have this experience with total strangers. Let's share and keep a check on one another's experiences as we go through this time together. Good luck to everyone. I'm sure we're just having normal jitters. My CT told me she was nervous too. I am her first student teacher.

9. roamer

roamer Companion

Aug 30, 2007

I'm so glad that you were able to do your student teaching at a school where you feel comfortable.

Although I've subbed at all of the schools in our district, most of my experience is at one particular school. We have a new principal - this is her second year - and she brought with her a policy that if we've worked in the school, she doesn't want us to do our student teaching there. She thinks we need to "experience other schools and share how wonderful we are with them." Grrrr!

So, while I wanted to do my student teaching in a school that I'm familiar with and where I know the teachers will have my back, I'm in a new school that I've only been in once in the past 4 years. This school has an excellent administration, though, and is sort of a "sister school" to my old one.

One good thing is that when I told the teachers at my old school where I'll be, they all said, "maybe you'll get to work with Mr. R...he's great!" Lo and behold, that's who I'll be working with for my intermediate placement. Woo Hoo!

Student teaching is stressful enough. I'm glad that you'll be able to do it somewhere that you already feel comfortable.

10. 3dawns

3dawns Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

This is me too. :eek:

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2007

I worry that I'll struggle following the teacher and using whatever methods (including classroom management) they have without ruining what I need my professor to see OR having a professor that is sooo idealistic that they can't see the reality.

12. Katekat

Katekat Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

I've worked for a YMCA after school program for almost 3 years, first as a counselor and then as a director. I know I'm good with kids, behavioral issues, and interacting with parents. My fear is that I will not be good at teaching. I'm looking forward to finally getting to teach and hopefully putting some of my doubts behind me.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 1, 2007

I'm know I'm good with kids and behavioral issues, but I'm not sure I'll be any good with parents. I'm practicing now though with supervised written emails. I don't actually talk to any though. I'm not great with group teaching, but I am with small groups. I'm great with modifications. Hopefully I won't drown in the extra stuff teachers do like all the workshops and meetings.

14. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

First Day Jitters

Sending good vibes to ST, like myself, who have their first day tomorrow. :love: