Your Favourite Websites

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Smalls, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Smalls

Smalls Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

What is your favourite website to visit for students and yourself as an educator? I am looking for some websites that might be useful for myself as a new teacher and for my primary grade studetns to visit during learning centers.
    Thanks

3. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 19, 2009

I liked www.abcya.com. It has a variety of games by grade level.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2009

There is a sticky up at the top of this called your favorite websites or something like that. It has so many contributions, I think you will get a lot from it.

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 19, 2009

Check out this site: www.mrdonn.org
    It has teacher stuff (lesson plans, power points etc.) and student stuff (games, internet links etc.)

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 19, 2009

Yes - it is at the top of this thread and it is called Educational Websites, it has pages and pages of them. Check it out!

7. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

www.spellingcity.com

You can type in your spelling lists for the week and it creates games (word searches, fill in the blank, hangman, etc) to go with the words. My class LOVED playing on SpellingCity and I had a lot of parents tell me the kids were begging to log on at home to practice their spelling words!

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 19, 2009

www.proteacher.net is great!! Teachers attach ideas on there, I have printed off so many!! It is divided into grade levels. Also Christina Bainbridge has a class website that is great!! Many ideas.

9. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 19, 2009

Wow! I just checked out the spelling city site and it rocks! Thanks, Natalie!

10. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jun 20, 2009

Spelling City

I agree. I love Spelling City. I had never heard of it. My students will all of have their own ten spelling words and they will be able to type their own spelling words in, get practice test, and play games using their words! Students will also be able to play a variety of other games. :love:

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 20, 2009

Be careful with ProTeacher. The owner is NOT as wonderful as Amanda, and claims he 'owns' all ideas after they are posted on his site. Awesome for browsing, NOT awesome for posting.

12. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jun 21, 2009

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 21, 2009

thanks for the info. I have never posted stuff, just printed off others ideas!!

14. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jun 21, 2009

I agree with Spelling City and Mr. Donn. I want to add mathwire.com. Great hands on math activities and linking math to literature!

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 21, 2009

Spelling City is fantastic!!!!
    I can't wait to go to the other part of this forum and play on the websites up there.
    Jem-thanks for the heads up about ProTeacher.

16. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 21, 2009

I know this is slightly on a different strain, but I love www.webassign.net . It allows me to administer tests and give classwork from the computer, which makes it easier for students and me to access without worrying about having to convert to or from print and Braille.

It is also very useful for math and science teachers as you can post the same problems with different values so that students can't copy each others' work. WebAssign automatically checks if the answer is right based on the randomly selected numbers so all you have to worry about is if the student did the problem correctly from a conceptual point of view.