Your Favorite (Thanksgiving) Dinner Sides & Desserts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 23, 2009

Just for fun, what are your favorite dinner sides & desserts?

All I care about is my mom's stuffing recipe w/ gravy! It's fabulous!
    I also like:

macaroni salad
    garlic mashed potatoes or potato salad
    deviled eggs
    spinach
    regular romaine lettuce salad
    broccoli slaw salad
    jellied cranberry sauce
    my potsticker recipe
    lemon cream pie or strawberry cheesecake
    key lime pie is pretty good
    my mom's pistachio pineapple walnut dessert

I'm not eating all this, these are just dishes I like.

(I don't care for yams, pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie.)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 23, 2009

I'll eat your yams, Ms. I! ;) I LOVE sweet potato casserole-lots of butter, brown sugar and marshmallows.

I'm also a stuffing fiend. And really good buttered sweet corn. And rolls.

Thanksgiving is carb-o-rific in my opinion! ;)

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 23, 2009

mashed potatoes
    fruit salad

I don't like pie...so anything other than pie for dessert is ok.

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 23, 2009

This morning on The Today Show, they made a pureed pumpkin lasagna...looked really good! It's simply noodles, canned pumpkin, ricotta cheese and whatever else you want to add...

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 23, 2009

You make it, I'll eat it.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2009

My husband's mamaw makes the best stuffing I've ever tasted. Nothing chunky to ruin it for me...just devine deliciousness. I don't eat turkey and most of other traditional sides except for mashed potatoes and macaroni, so a few baked balls of that covered with some amazing gravy...and I'm in heaven.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2009

Corn casserole

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 23, 2009

Be my guest Jem!

The popular dessert this year is pumpkin cheesecake. It's probably pretty good.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 23, 2009

I love stuffing (unless it has some sort of meat in it) and my special homemade cranberry sauce. I will not eat turkey gravy or canned cranberry. We are eating at my MIL's house so I have to bring my own cranberry sauce or else I can't eat :lol: For dessert I like pumpkin pie.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 23, 2009

And I'm really annoyed about it too. I've been making pumpkin cheesecake for years because I really don't like pumpkin pie. I suppose I'm being too territorial, but still.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2009

I make a fabulous stuffing- My mom's recipe...I'm teaching my son how to do it this year to 'pass on the tradition'.

DH loves my homemade cranberry sauce...This year I put some Jack Daniels' in it...:p

I love the veg most of all....Making a butternut squash and sweet potato gratin...that should be delish.

Love yams, love green beans-The way I make them...kind of gourmet....I HATE marshmallow mess on yams, HATE that gloopy cream of mushroom soup green bean thing with WWII era fried onions on top...I know it's sacriligious to hate these things as they are 'well-loved' sides in most houses....

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 23, 2009

I don't blame you! Many people have probably been mkg certain dishes for yrs & suddenly one year, it's all the rave.

I have my mom's fabulous stuffing recipe saved on my computer.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 23, 2009

I know I'm weird, but I really like canned cranberry sauce! There's just something about it. I like homemade too, but that jelly stuff...yum.

I love stuffing without a lot of fru fru stuff in it-no meat, a few diced vegetables, plain bread. I always think the fancy stuff looks good, but I just can't make myself make it.

For dessert-can't live without pumpkin roll. Oh, my gravy, it's good.

Our latest addition to Thanksgiving must-haves is stuffed mushrooms. Chorizo, trinity veggies, shredded parm...ohhhh....

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 23, 2009

I am trying a sugar free pumpkin fluff thing this year.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 23, 2009

I knew I wsa forgetting something! My mom made some for me one Thanksgiving & they were great! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mushrooms...on pizza, stuffed, fried, marinated, in salads, etc. I liked Shitakes & the regular button ones too.

This year, I'm going to change my stuffing up a little & use ground turkey rather than gizzards, shitake or another type rather than the regular button mushrooms, & Serrano chile peppers, rather than jalapenos for more kick!

17. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 24, 2009

Mmmmmm I love Thanksgiving Dinner!

cream corn - heck, any kind of corn
    mashed potatoes
    green beans
    turkey - I have to say that I like the dark meat
    rolls - I just love bread
    deviled eggs
    lots of other yummies!

I like sweet potatoes, but I don't like sweet potato casserole or sweet potato pie - weird, I know, but it is something about the texture.

I don't really care for pumpkin pie, so we will just have to see what dessert is available (I sure am hoping that we have Methodist Derby Pie - pecans and chocolate with some other stuff - yummm!).

Man, I am starving now!

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 24, 2009

I put a little bit of orange juice, orange zest and GM in mine ;)

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 24, 2009

Deviled eggs!!!! This is the one time of year when I let myself indulge in them

I also love those cheap Ms. Baird's brown and serve rolls. I could eat a whole package of them by myself. :D

For dessert: fudge. My aunt uses the recipe on the back of the marshmallow cream stuff from Kraft. It's the best!

20. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 24, 2009

Pies! My mom is baking 4 pies for 7 people so each person can have a taste of each. We are having pumpkin pie, cherry cream cheese pie, lemon meringue, and chocolate cream.

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 24, 2009

I am the cook at my house, except for the dressing. My husband complained that my dressing wasn't as good as my aunt's (didn't make my mom happy.) So I told him to handle it. And he does. He got the recipe from my aunt and makes it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. He is so good at making it, that he also makes it for his office potluck now. He complained a few years ago about the stuffing at the Thanksgiving potluck (it was out of a box), so now he is in charge. He was gone on a business trip during the last potluck and everyone complained.

I make homemade rolls--started for my dad and he and my son would sneak into the kitchen and eat several before lunch. I also make most of everything else. I love fixing dinner for my family. There will be at least 9 of us this year. My sister is bring her new boyfriend, so I am going to make a special dessert---chocolate cheesecake. I will also make sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, green beans, noodles, cranberries, deviled eggs, and gravy. I will also make several deserts. We will live on leftovers for the weekend. My husband fries the turkey after I inject it with cajun butter.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2009

WE have a very traditional meal for the most part, maybe with the exception of filtekraut (meat bundles in sauerkraut). That is my absolute favorite part of the meal. Next would be stuffing. I love leftover rolls heated up with sauerkraut on them. We call it a sauerkraut sandwich. But I like everything except the canned cranberries. Oh, and my grandmother makes the exact same meal by herself every year, so if someone else tries to bring something, like a salad or jello mold, I won't eat it. It doesn't mix.

We will also stop in at my other grandmother's later but I am usually too stuffed to eat. But she usually has fried oysters and I will eat a few of those.