Your favorite potluck or party recipes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bison, Apr 17, 2012.

1. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 17, 2012

Hi all. I'm helping my BF host a potluck in a couple of weeks for some of his old friends and I have a feeling we'll end up with them just bringing a couple of desserts (past experience). Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to prepare a main dish or two to ensure everyone gets to eat! I normally do an appetizer or side, so I'm stumped. Anyone have suggestions? Bonus points for being cheap and not too complicated. I'm a novice cook who isn't used to large groups. :)

Oh, and I'm not sure of the final head count yet, but I expect it to be around 10-15. I'll likely do some kind of appetizer and salad as well depending on what we decide to make.

Although I'm looking for main dishes, feel free to share anything and everything! I'm sure it will be useful for others who come upon this thread. I know I find myself digging around for good party recipes fairly regularly.

3. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Apr 17, 2012

I like to make BBQ pulled pork sandwiches when we have large groups over. Get a pork shoulder or loin, put it in the crockpot with about 1/2 cup of water, season well with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Then pull it out shred it and discard the fat and return it to the crockpot. Cover in BBQ sauce of choice and let it simmer for 1-2 more hours. Serve on hamburger buns.
    It's super easy and not too expensive to make and it's always a crowd pleaser!

4. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 17, 2012

That's a GREAT idea, thank you! My BF happens to be a huuge pulled pork fan, so I think it'll go over really well.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 17, 2012

Homemade mac and cheese would go great with the pulled pork.

For an appetizer I like making warm spinach artichoke dip. It's a bit fancier than the regular spinach dip that everyone seems to do. You can use crackers or wedges of pita bread.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 17, 2012

Mac n cheese is a great idea, thanks. I like it baked. :)

I make the warm spinach artichoke dip too! It never fails to be a big hit. I like to serve with thin slices of toasted baguette. This is extremely similar to the recipe I use, except this one has a couple additional ingredients: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-artichoke-and-spinach-dip-ii/

7. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 17, 2012

8. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 17, 2012

Thanks Speechy. I do love a good quiche!

Pasta is my plan B. It's cheap and super easy, but I just wanted to do something a little more exciting.

9. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Apr 17, 2012

My go to dish is called Picant Chicken.its super easy to make:
    Take chicken breast and spread cream cheese over each piece. Cover the bottom of a glass pirex dish with some picante salsa (I like it spicy). Place the chicken in the dish, and put another layer of salsa over them. Cover with foil and make in the oven for 15 minutes at 350. After, take off foil and spread shredded cheese over each chicken breast, and place in the oven uncovered for another 15 minutes.
    Soooo tasty and so cheap and easy to make!

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2012

I was gonna mention doing something in a crockpot like ribs...but I'm with the pulled pork here.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

Meatballs in a crockpot...bbq ones and hawaiian ones!!!

A big like dirt dessert is usually a big hit.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 18, 2012

I'm all for the meatballs. Make small ones, bake them, then keep warm in a sauce made of grape jelly and bottled chili sauce. Combine the two to make it as sweet or tangy as you like.

13. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 18, 2012

Walk to deli. Point at something.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

That's what we use as well...grape jelly and chili sauce. We just buy the frozen meatballs...throw them in that like all day!!!

I'd have to look at the Hawaiian one, but it has pineapple and a couple other things...so yummy!!!

Best part so easy and usually not too expensive either!!!

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 18, 2012

I love the meatballs, too. They don't taste like they are so simple.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

Daisy...that is the truth...seems like you worked hard when really throw them in and do something else...

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2012

For superbowl, we did walking tacos (Also called Frito pie). We made a big thing of taco meat (if we had more people we would have also made chicken taco meat) and kept it warm in crock pot. Bought all the taco toppins, and instead of shells, you buy mini bags of chips (traditionally fritos, but we like them on doritos, sour cream potato chips, cheetos, etc.) and you just open the bag and dump all of your taco stuff in the bag. (We also had bowls out for people who are no fun... lol). This was for something casual - but if you wanted to do something more "Sit down Meal"-ish, you could just do regular tacos. Then when someone who can't cook asks what they can bring, you can tell them a bag of cheese or lettuce or sour cream. (My BF used to do this at his old job - they had Taco Tuesdays and everyone would take turns bringing different components of tacos to eat).

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

silver...I've seen people doing this at the grad parties instead of sandwiches...

19. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 18, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm keeping track of all of these. I might end up doing vegan meatballs since we have one vegan guest attending and that's one thing that actually tastes pretty good with fake meat, believe it or not.

Tacos were one of the first things I suggested, but we do separate taco nights so it was a no-go. Definitely fun though! We buy big bags of carne asada and/or carnitas at the Mexican grocery store, cook them up, prep all the fixings, and have everyone go down the assembly line. Cheap and yummy. My only regret is that one of my friends broke up with his fiancee that made THE best guacamole I've ever had...

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2012

Stuffed mushroom casserole:

Slice a few cartons of mushrooms. Saute with butter (about a stick)and a chopped onion.

Add about half a cup of oil and bread crumbs to coat. (figure about a cup or so for a 1 qt. Corningware container.)

Bake for about half an hour.

Incredibly easy, and delicious!