Your favorite plagiarism checker?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, May 18, 2014.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 18, 2014

I spent the better part of the evening trying to find a plagiarism checker that would allow me to upload multiple files, run a thorough scan, and produce a printable report. Almost all of them are simply text boxes that you paste part of a paper in and then it runs it through Google (as if you couldn't just copy and paste it in yourself).

I only have one large written paper project each year (I might do two next year, but even one is such a headache), but last year I had a plagiarizer, and I found one this year too even after I stressed that they would receive a zero if I found plagiarism and that I had a plagiarism detector that would let me find any hints of it (I didn't at the time but I do now!).

In any case, I had thought I could find a good free one, but alas, that's not the case. And many are really expensive. I was hoping to be able to just throw them all into a scanner and see all of them at a glance, but they charge by the word. It's alright though, because I can tell usually at a glance if a paper is copied and pasted from Wikipedia or not. I purchased the plagiarism detector mostly for its report generating abilities, which I need to back me up in the case of overly defensive parents and students.

PlagScan seems to be reasonably priced for individuals who are just scanning a paper here and there to double check or to generate proof, because there's no way our school would buy a school license. The reports it gives are very thorough, professional looking, and impossible to argue against.

What do you guys use?

3. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

May 18, 2014

i dont use any but mmy teachers when i was in school used turnitin.com. students have user name and upload it through there

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 18, 2014

Because I can copy and paste assignments instead of scanning them, I've used Paper Rater. However, I've had an immense amount of luck simply entering one or two sentences from a suspect assignment into Google. It catches items found in Google Books and Scholar as well as items found online.

5. physteach

physteach Companion

May 18, 2014

I just enter anything that doesn't sound like the kid into google. Easy as anything.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 18, 2014

Well the student in question must have used some kind of essay generator or something because even though it was copied from common sources like Wikipedia, it was pretty well organized so that it would copy a sentence from one source, then copy another one from another sources, and then go back to the first source. And it was formatted perfectly and such. Also I really like the professional report feature. I could show them a Google search, but it's less convincing I think. I was able to send an email to the parent with the plagiarism report attached and I think it's left little room for questioning with a 90% plagiarism rate for her paper.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 18, 2014

I found google to work perfectly fine. I print out what I find and highlight. I put in one sentence if I'm suspicious.

8. WordNerd

WordNerd Rookie

May 20, 2014

I just use Google as well. Put the suspicious sentences in, glance through the top results until I find the original text, print it out, highlight the "matching" parts on the essay and on the printout, slap and big fat ZERO on the essay and move on. Just did this last week, actually.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 20, 2014

My tutoring student has to submit written work to www.turnitin.com for her online course at laurel springs.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2014

Google.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2014

Turnitin, unfortunately, is really expensive. Most individual teachers cannot afford subscriptions.

12. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 20, 2014

It doesn't really take much more than typing it into Google. If there is a source that matches all or most of the words, it will come up, unless it is some rare and hard to find literature.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2014

Even then, Google Books has some antiquated stuff that has helped me catch plagiarism, particularly assignments on Beowulf and Canterbury Tales.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 21, 2014

I use Google. It doesn't matter to me "how much" is plagiarized or that a student plagiarized multiple sources ... if I catch it, I mark it, record the URL, stop reading the rest of the essay and hand it back with a 0 with a chance to redo. I haven't had issues with parents wanting to argue.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 21, 2014

What a coincidence! I just spent a good part of yesterday catching plagiarism. I had FOUR kids plagiarize in a class of 13. English is their second language so it is really, REALLY obvious when they plagiarize. I put one sentence into google and it pops right up. They ALL used Wikipedia.

16. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 21, 2014

I think I would be doing cartwheels down the hallway if I discovered that one of my students even had enough interest in their academics to plagiarize.

:lol:

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 21, 2014

The struggle is real! LOL

18. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 21, 2014

You should have seen this one "project" a kid turned in. It was one picture and Wikipedia copy/pasted onto a Word document. Format and all. I'd rather him not turn in anything than insult my intelligence with that! :rolleyes: