Your Favorite Lotion?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 22, 2009

I started a thread about this long ago, but what's your favorite lotion? There's so many types out there, it's hard to choose!

If I don't want to spend too much, I like Jergens original Cherry Almond scent OR Bath & BodyWorks in Japanese Cherry Blossom, Pearberry, or various other scents.

If I want to spend more, Bliss is pretty good.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2009

I like Yes to Tomatoes, and BBW Peppermint for headache relief. When I have a sinus headache, BF will put a little on his hands and rub my face (weird, I know) and it feels great and I can feel stuff draining from my sinuses.

Lately I have been using this stuff BF's friend's mom makes. It is so great and has no preservatives or chemicals in it.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2009

I absolutely love Aveda Hand Therapy. It's expensive, but it's well worth it and it works like a charm for me.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 22, 2009

I love this philosophy body souffle. I got it as a gift and don't know where to get more!

Right now I am loving this Shikai Dry Skin Therapy. It's really nice. You can get it in health food stores.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2009

I use a lot of lotion, so I have all kinds. As for the "cheap" lotions, I like Jergens cherry/almond, and there is a Suave cherry blossom that's not bad. Then I have to have Gold Bond in the green bottle for eczema.

Bath & Body works is where it gets tricky. Sometimes I have trouble using the lotions due to the scents bothering my allergies. I like Sea Island Cotton and Twilight Woods best, but I've got some other scents, too. I can't wear any of the scents on my hands. I use "Look Ma, New Hands" instead.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2009

Bath & Body Works' Coconut Lime Verbena body lotion is my current favorite. I am almost out and must get some more.

I like Burt's Bees foot cream and cuticle cream, too. I'm currently using Lamisilk foot cream nightly. I hate the smell, but it works.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 22, 2009

For me, a lotion HAS to smell nice or else, I'll be choosing another brand. :)

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2009

I use a variety of lotions...well, I have a lot of lotions, but I don't use lotion as much as you might think by looking at my collection. Philosophy's Amazing Grace is probably my favorite scented lotion and I like Curel for winter skin.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2009

Yes, Ms.I., I agree. That's why I mix the B&BW lotion with it before using it on my feet.

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 22, 2009

I use Crabtree and Evelyn La Source hand therapy or Gardener's Hand Therapy Lotion. I have also used the Mary Kay 4 step hand therapy that is excellent but pricey.

12. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 22, 2009

I like the lavender/vanilla "sleep" lotion from BBW and the lavender/chamomile from Aveno.

There's a new Lemongrass/Cardamom from BBW that is nice too for a new scent.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 22, 2009

I dislike vanilla, rose, & cocoa butter scents!

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2009

For just a nice all around lotion that doesn't feel sticky and has no scent--for those of us with sensitive skin-- try Vaseline intensive rescue-"unfragranced"

I had to give away all my pretty scents that I got for Christmas from my kids. Sigh. They just dry out my skin. (But they sure smell nice.)

15. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Dec 22, 2009

I use Aveeno Daily moisturizing lotion- it is great for my dry skin- I use that on my face every morning. Otherwise, I am obsessed with bodycology vanilla buttercream body cream for my hands, which they no longer make. I like the mini 2.7 oz bottles, to throw in my bag and carry with me, but I cannot even find that size anymore. It is so sad. I need a new hand cream- I hate lotion for my hands. Sometimes B&BW just does not cut it, but I am running out of choices- I think those fragrances are just too strong, but I still like a little scent!

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 22, 2009

Currently, I am using the Target brand (Up? I think) that is the comparable to Vaseline. It is great! It smells good and is very moisturizing. I cannot use scented lotions, as they irritate my skin. Occasionally, I try them on my hands only, and it is ok, but because I'm not used to the scent, it bothers me until I go wash my hands and put something lightly scented on. I like the good ol' Jergens scents, or Vaseline, or anything with aloe.

My next door teacher has a bottle of Gold Bond something or other that I sneak in and steal a pump now and then-it is verrrry moisturizing, but not greasy. I saw it at the store when I bought the Target brand, but it was pricey, so I opted for the cheaper stuff.

I get innundated with bottles of lotion at Christmas time, so I keep a basket on my desk and tell the kids that I love to share what I get, and put all of the highly scented ones in there. Even the boys use them! I always keep something unscented in there for the boys, but they are always using the Pearberry instead...:)

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 22, 2009

I use Sympathy for the Skin by Lush. It is amazing! In the summer I use the aloe Body Butter from the Body Shop.

For the cheap stuff, I like the Bath & Body Works Moonlit Path scent. I used to use a balm from them called Self Meditating, but they discontinued that line.

18. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Dec 23, 2009

I use the Wal-Mart version of Lubriderm. Back when my allergies weren't so bad, I LOVED Evelyn and Crabtrees Damask Rose hand lotion.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 23, 2009

I put on my regular lotion first and then put on these pretty scent lotions.

20. glaciergirl

glaciergirl Rookie

Dec 23, 2009

qvc sells it

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2009

Penzoil 10w40

22. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2009

Sarge, my jeep likes Penzoil 10w40 ..... but for my personal hand lotion I prefer Break-Free Lubricant and Preservative Gun Oil. Put it on early in the morning and you will smell like a gunnie all day...:p

23. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 23, 2009

I use either Dove or Curel. I have sensitive skin so I don't like to use a lot of the Bath and Body Works stuff. I always felt bad when people would give them to me as gifts because I'd never use them. I've also used Aveeno before. When I buy Curel, I'll get some scented but for the most part I don't love wearing fragrances.

24. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2009

Funny how certain smells just appeal to people. For example, I actually like the smell of Boeshield T-9 chain lubricant. Unfortunately, it smells better than it lubricates a bicycle chain. I use Prolink, which doesn't smell very good at all, but keeps my chain nice and clean for hundreds of miles.

Gun oil is nice, but I really don't have much use for it, not having any guns. I think WD-40 smells disgusting, and reminds me of run-down, low budget bike shops. Most mechanics strongly advise keeping away from one's bicycle. Is WD-40 as harmful on guns as it is on bicycles?

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2009

No discussion of hand lotion is complete without mention of these products.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2009

Sarge--2 of the products you listed above are on the counter in my bathroom right now!

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2009

[​IMG]

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2009

Like most gunnies I don't use WD-40 any of my guns, especially the semi-automatics. It dries and can cause the gun's action to jam.

On a bicycle chain do you need to use a "cleaner" before lubricating?

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2009

Your chain will last longer if you do. Keep in mind, by "last" I mean it will take longer for the chain to elongate beyond the point where it starts to wear out the gears on the bike. Seldom do chains break due to poor maintenance unless they get really dry and rusty.

The topic of chain lubrication is debated among bicycle mechanics with near-religious ferocity.

When you lubricate a dirty chain, you cause the gunk and grime that has collected on the outside to move to inside and cause friction among the bushings of each link. The bushings wear faster, and the chain elongates quicker.

But...

Even a poorly maintained chain is going to last at least 1000 miles before it does this. And if it starts wearing out the drivetrain, the rider probably won't notice any skipping unless they buy a new chain, or go another few thousand miles. As long as the chain and the sprockets are wearing happily together, they work fine.

If I religiously clean and lubricate my chain every two weeks (200 miles or so) I might double it's lifespan.

But a new chain is about $25. A bottle of Prolink is about $8.99. At some point, the economics come into play where one starts to wonder if it's not just cheaper to get a new chain every thousand miles and don't even bother with the lube. New chains come with a waxy film that's actually very good and lasts a long time under dry conditions.

Even a new rear "cluster" or cassette for my 27 speed cyclocross bike is about $30. I ride about 5 or 6 thousand miles a year, and one chain and one cassette would probably last just fine with no cleaning, just periodic lubing and wiping down. As I said, what I don't know is if it really matters that much what I do with my chain. After about a year, whenever I put a new chain on old gears, they skip.

Where it might matter is if you have a high end racing bike, and you are using gears that cost $300 instead of $30. Those people need to keep their chains super clean and lubed all the time. But I'm not one of those people.

Also, if you don't put on as many miles as I do, I wouldn't worry about it.

Prolink is good because it balances between keeping the chain clean and keeping it lubed. Other oil based products, like Triflow and Road Rage hold up better under wet conditions but also turn your chain into a black grimy mess because they collect everything that comes near the chain.

Wax based lubricants like White Lightning and Boeshields T-9 work well under dry conditions and keep the chain sparkling, but if they get wet, they wash off real easy.

The makers of prolink say that you can just apply it like a chain cleaner. I've done that a few times, and my bike didn't burst into flames, but I have no clue as to how well it preserved the chain.

30. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2009

Actually, the exact same advice exists in cycling. Of course, the mechanical principal between guns and bicycles are very similar - small metal parts with minimal tolerances subject to extreme stress and friction. In fact, I'm surprised that Shimano doesn't make guns along with bicycle components and fishing reels.

31. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2009

Thanks for all the info Sarge..... It will probably take me 2-3 martini's to digest everything....:p

I plan to buy a bike sometimes this spring. My Raleigh bike is about 20 years old.... and is a TEN SPEED..... That's right a 10 speed. It worked great in Texas but doesn't do well here in Colorado. There are lots of steep grades to negociate in CO.

My next bike will be mostly for exercise........ and used on bike paths away from the idiot drivers.

Is there actually a product called Road Rage..... That alone would keep me off the streets and not compete with SUV's.... Of course I am one of those SUV owners.....:D

32. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2009

What size is the Raleigh? Or, how big are you?

33. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2009

I'm 6' 4", 225 lbs.........

The bike???... I don't really know... It's in storage in the back of our property.... I haven't ridden it in long time...

34. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 24, 2009

Oh-A fellow Jeep owner!!!! Nothing like a Jeep-I drive a Jeep Wrangler Sahara. LOVE IT.
    Is there any better scent than gun powder? :p

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 24, 2009

LOL gun powder cented lotion! That might not be a big seller :lol:

The lotion I have been using is Dove Cream Oil. In the summer I was using Coconut Lime Verbena from B&BW. I also have a lotion that I use sometimes when I wear a certain perfume since it came in a set of body lotion, perfume and shower gel.

36. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2009

:wow::wow: A lady who loves jeeps AND gun powder.... I may have to adopt you ....... :lol:

Bring your Wrangler down here to Colorado and we'll do some jeepin' on the mountain trails then zip over to Utah and explore some rugged canyonlands.......:hugs:

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 15, 2011

I am SO in need of a pump bottle of lotion to put on each of my desks at work! I like L'Occitane. I think I'll check out their store today after work.

38. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 15, 2011

Bath and Body - Moonlight Path. I also love their Peppermint aromatherapy lotions.

39. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 15, 2011

I cannot afford it but the best lotion I have ever used is called Renew by a company called Melaleuca (you can buy it on Amazon or sign up for the company somehow and get access to their products that way) It is so nice and soaks into your skin without feeling greasy at all! I loved it!!!

Emotional story alert: I tried it at my mil's house when she had really dry skin and put it on her hands with another lady as she was home for hospice care last year as a way of pampering her since we didn't know if she could feel or be aware of anything we thought that would be a nice gesture to calm her as she transitioned to heaven!

40. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 15, 2011

Gold Bond Ultimate for a moisturizing lotion. Bath and Body Works lotions for their aroma.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the smell of gun oil! It's got that sweet smell that blends so well with the smell of the wood, metal, and gun powder.

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2011

Have your preferences changed since your last thread on this same topic?