your favorite grade

Discussion in 'General Education' started by singingstacy, May 29, 2008.

1. singingstacy

singingstacy Rookie

May 29, 2008

What, in your opinion, is the best grade to teach? Feel free to be totally biased but make sure you explain your answer! (There's the teacher in me):rolleyes:

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 29, 2008

How about a response from a brand-new teacher (so maybe I can revisit this question next year and see if the answer is the same):

I will be teaching third grade this fall, which was my first choice.

Third grade -- when kids are starting to be used to the way school operates, but are still full of joy. My favorite year in elementary school (I can remember almost everything about that year!). An age that's still a little bit young-childish, but starting to bloom.

Hope I will still feel this way in May 2009!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 29, 2008

I have taught kinder and 2nd grade, subbed mostly 4th and some MS, and tutored 5th grade. I absolutely adore 4th and 5th graders. They are more independent, are beginning to think for themselves, get my sense of humor, but are still young enough to show they love their teacher(s).

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 29, 2008

I love third and fourth for the exact reasons listed above.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 29, 2008

i love third. i taught 6-8th grade before and left because I wanted a younger age group.

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 29, 2008

I love all levels Preschool up to First. :)

I know that they are clingy, needy, and high energy, but God love 'em, they're so much fun!!!

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 29, 2008

I love my fourth graders. They are still excited to come to school, but independent.

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 29, 2008

I love first grade. They are little cute sponges who absorb the lessons like you would expect of a sponge. They still have strong tie ins with the adults around them. They are excited and enthused with school. I find them very entertaining.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 29, 2008

I love 2nd and 3rd, but I prefer the curriculum in 3rd in my school. They are still in love with school (most of them). 3rd graders tend to be more independent. Next year will be my 3rd year teaching 3rd grade:)

11. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 29, 2008

I LOVE 3RD. I am in 4th for a vacancy and I am so tired of their attitudes

12. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 31, 2008

I love 5th grade!! They can work independently, grade some of their own papers, help a lot (making copies, monitoring the hallway, sorting papers, cleaning, etc.), are excited about going to middle school next year, and yet they still seem to be kids in many ways. I'd love to teach fifth grade the rest of my life! Although I must admit I've only taught one year...I have subbed in all grades up through 8th and really do like fifth the best, though.

13. forchange

forchange Rookie

Jun 1, 2008

7th!

I know I'm in the minority, but I love 7th graders. I have taught students ranging in age from 5-16 at a theatre and 5/6/7 in a regular school setting.

My 7th graders are trying to figure out who they are and where they want to go in the world. It is such a privilege to be a part of that self-discovery.

Teaching wise, I think they're easier on account of being calmer, more self-directed, and exciting because they are capable of some serious deep thinking.

They have attitudes as big as Australia at times, but once they calm down are rational and mature enough to realize that I am human too and that we can both get what we want (when they follow my rules, of course *grin*)

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 1, 2008

I LOVE third graders! I like the curriculum better in fourth, but prefer third graders personalities. In the spring, fourth graders turn into "adolescents" and I'm not much for that.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 1, 2008

I LOVE my 7th graders. I teach 6-9 right now and my favorite class is my 7th graders, followed closely by the 8th graders. The 6th graders are too young for me, and the 9th graders attitudes are horrible. I think 7th graders are really just starting to develop a perspective of their place in the world around them and it's so fun to watch them start the development from children to young adults. They're still respectful (when theire attitudes don't get in the way), they're begining to think logically and abstractly,they want to be treated as grown ups, but they're still children at heart. On any given day my kids can be too cool for school, yet give me hugs when they come into school in the mornings. They're fascinated by the way the world works and I can use that to my advantage while teaching math. My 8th graders are starting to loose a little of that childishness and my 9th graders don't admit it's even there. So, I love my 7th graders the most.

16. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 1, 2008

I believe that each of us has a special aptitude or talent for a particular grade level, and that is such a great thing! I have taught at every level K-8, and I have found something to love about every level. :) But 5th grade is where I have found my home! I love the curriculum and I love how the students are so curious about the world and so committed to making a difference. They are more independent and you can have the most wonderful discussions with them. They love to help and are old enough to really be a big help. They are eager to learn about the world in which they live, and with the proper direction and modeling they really can make a difference! They are fun to hang out with, they are eager to learn, they still give hugs, AND best of all, they still think you know a thing or two!! :D

Oh!! Did I mention...they even laugh at my jokes!! :haha:

17. gr3techr

gr3techr New Member

Jun 2, 2008

GRADE 3

I love 3rd grade! The children are more independent and are stilll enthusiastic about their teacher, coming to school, and the activities/projects that they get to do. :2up: