YOUR favorite free iPad apps

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

I've seen various lists online as well as the "Top charts" lists on itunes, but I'd also like to hear from real people because I haven't found much to love yet (I did find SOME to love! will post below to start the list)

I know there are some nice ones that don't cost too much but I'm really not looking to invest money in this at this time because the iPad is just a loaner and I don't plan on buying my own i-anything for keeps. What I'm seeing is nice but not $xxx nice. I do want to max out on my loaned device though!

I teach resource room for grades 3-8.

3. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2011

Here's what I like so far:

Math Blaster HyperBlast - full version free, yay! - for those just-for-fun rewards because it's more fun than educational, but also involves math fact review.

ShowMe - seems to have great potential but most of my students don't have internet access at home so we won't be able to really use it to the fullest.

Toontastic - Looks like a nice way to reinforce story elements in a fun way and get creative juices flowing for my writing-averse students (which is, um, all of them right now). Also a possible writing prompt.

Brain pop gets good reviews and seems like a nice concept though slightly boring IMHO -but I can't figure out how to turn off close captioning and get sound. Anyone?

MW and Dictionary.com - much more fun than paper. More thorough too.

A+ Pro flashcards - I could think of ways to improve this app, and it doesn't have major advantages over paper, but I like that you can just load sets of cards that other people made. And it does have a slight "cool technology" factor. Again, would be more helpful if students could use at home...

iBooks: Free finds so far include Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, Alice's Adventures..., Rikki Tikki Tavi, 100 Facts of Ancient Egypt, Historical Heroes, and Stories for Boys. There were a bunch for younger audiences and a whole lot that I would have to review for appropriateness before giving to my students (insular religious school)

Futaba: Cute word reading game but only at low reading level. Would love to see options for higher level phonics/vocab there because I really like it but have no kids the right age/grade range for it now.